back to article 'I Go Chop Your Dollar' star arrested

Nigerian comedian and actor Nkem Owoh was one of the 111 suspected 419 scammers arrested in Amsterdam recently as part of a seven month investigation, dubbed Operation Apollo. Owoh became a well known star within the Nigerian film industry, sometimes colloquially known as Nollywood because of its trite plots, poor dialogue, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You go learn English

Him go learn English make him sound less thick

2. Robert Jenkins

Don't spoil the fun

It's the bad English in the 419 emails that makes them fun to read!

3. Joan

What an article.

Hello, it's not called Nollywood because of the plots and dialogue but because it's Nigeria's Hollywood. Surely, it's not so hard to make the connection.

And from what I understand, although Nkem Owoh was arrested with everyone else at that venue, he was also released a few hours later. Why didn't you include that in your article?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

.....Even more fun is wasting the 419ers time and resources, thereby preventing from defrauding real victims. Google 419eater to learn more....

5. Franklin

Re: What an article.

"Hello, it's not called Nollywood because of the plots and dialogue but because it's Nigeria's Hollywood. Surely, it's not so hard to make the connection."

I thought that was the point?

6. Kevin O'Rourke

It's not bed English...

..it's Pidgin. There are lots of English words in Pidgin but the grammar is completely different.

As an example, there's the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Pidgin (http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/lang/pcm.htm), which begins:

"Dem recognise say human beings get dignity wey dey with us and rights wey go make all of us friendly with each other, so tay, we all come be like one family. Na dis be di foundation of our freedom and peace wey de for di whole world."

7. Nnegi

Goodness gracious

I cannot believe that in this day and age i would read such an article, how can a journalist be so biased when writing. Bad English or what not it annoys me that till this day the face of racism cannot be completely wiped out. How the hell would you completely degrade a country's movie industry mind you the third largest in the world by writing such words like this, "Owoh became a well known star within the Nigerian film industry, sometimes colloquially known as Nollywood because of it trite plots, poor dialogue, terrible sound, and low production standard". No wonder the image of Nigerians are always written and perceived with such HATE. First even the person who wrote the article needs to take English 101 no worries University of Nigeria Nsukka would accept you next year. What rubbish.

8. Bernadette

Subsidy scam

Ironically the local social democrat party will be throwing a party tomorrow at the police raid venue. They made the headlines last week and this week because they have embezzled tax money. 3 members of the local council had to retreat because of abuse of subsidies for ethnic organisations, one of them called it racism. In spite of this the social democrat party still has the absolute majority.

Well, they can all join singing this song:

A go chop your euro

A go tek your moni disappiah.

law is jus a game

A am di winnah

Yu a de loosah

Na mi bi de mastah!

9. Demian Phillips

Not Pidgin, Troll.

So we have a guy, famous from Nigerias "Holy Wood", who talks/sings like Detritus?

Smells like a Troll to me.

10. blackkie

Re: you go learn English

If you're being reasonable, you wont expect everyone to speak exactly the same way you do. Others speak other versions of Englaish and there are also people who dont even speak any English. I wonder if you can speak and write any other language.

11. blackkie

Re: Not Pidgin, Troll

So we have a group famous from British Showbiz who sing like broken glasses and call themselves rolling stones...they are real stones who makes rhythmless noises.

This topic is closed for new posts.