back to article Pandora investor: Sell this company sooner rather than later

A major investor in Pandora wants the company to sell out while it can. Hedge fund Corvex Partners has revealed that it owns 10 per cent of the veteran streaming music company – and that selling out to a larger company is preferable to pursuing a "costly and uncertain business plan." In a US Securities and Exchange Commission …

1. Commswonk

Arrggh

"Pandora's logged-in mobile user base, deep reach and engagement, and differentiated song recommendation engine are unique assets, and we believe a large, well-capitalized acquirer could further accelerate the company's competitive advantages over time through synergies in areas such as technology and engineering, ad monetization, and customer acquisition and marketing. Simply put, we believe Pandora can become an even more differentiated product and a more valuable business as a part of a larger enterprise," Corvex notes.

My eyes; my eyes! My poor brain...

Someone please make it stop...

1. frank ly

Re: Arrggh

So, not much to do with listening to music then?

"...ad monetization, and customer acquisition and marketing."

That's where the real money is nowadays.

2. tmTM

Read between the lines

Hedge fund Corvex Partners has revealed that it owns 10 per cent of the veteran streaming music company

Pandora's shares have almost halved in value over the past year.

They splurged a load of cash thinking they were picking up the next Tech titan.

It's loosing value and they're staring down a big loss.

They want some big sugar daddy to come along and buy the company for a nice premium to get them out of the massive hole they're in.

3. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      WTF?

House!

Never has my bullshit bingo card filled so quickly...

4. Mark 85

If it's that good of a thing with that much potential, then Corvex ought to push for it instead of a sale.. Oh wait. His profit is falling... Maybe he should get into another line of work. Maybe become a bookie.

2. ntevanza

Title

Pandora is excellent, but the days when something like this could survive serving an arbitrary subset of territories are gone. I can't buy it where I live. If a big buyer could fix this, then these guys may have a point. However we know that big buyers are less like vets, and more like cats, with half dead mice.

3. Gordon 10

dear hedge fund muppets

The value of your investment can go down.

Tough luck.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

And it's certainly going to go down now, given that you've basically claimed that it it's time to get out before it's too late.

Making that too late to start with.

They should have sold and said why after.

Only idiots will buy in now. Oh wait . .

4. MyffyW Silver badge

Pandora

Aren't they the charm bracelet emporium next to the Apple store?

Not that I'd know, my budget rarely runs beyond Claire's Accessories.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Pandora

The one in town is next to Costa.

(Wife likes some of their stuff)

5. MJI Silver badge

When I saw Pandora

I first thought of Hyperion, well it is a company on Pandora.

6. thomas k

pursuing a "costly and uncertain business plan"

Yeah, far be it to engage the actual work required - you know, all that pesky time and effort - to make something successful.

7. inmypjs Silver badge

think it's worthless

"The hedge fund doesn't think it's worthless – just that it would be worth more to shareholders if it sold now at a premium."

Translation: We think there are bigger fools out there who will buy the company for more than we think it is worth.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now that they're going up against Apple and Google

Suddenly they aren't the tech industry's darling anymore. Is anyone surprised by that? I guess these investors were!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon