back to article Google tries social again

Google is making another effort in social media after the failure of Google+ with a new app called Spaces. The app, available from Monday, is designed to "build a better group sharing experience" and integrates with Google's other products including YouTube, search and its Chrome browser to make it "simple to find and share …

1. Geoff Johnson

Shame.

I know it has its problems, but I kind of like hangouts. I expect in a few months it will be deprecated in favor of their new toy.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google should concede they can't do everything

They are becoming a pathetic one trick pony that reminds one more and more of Microsoft - they have a terrific cash cow core market, but when they stray from it and try to compete outside their sphere (Windows/Office for Microsoft, advertising for Google) they fail miserably and waste billions.

Google doesn't yet have the long track record of failure that Microsoft does, but there is nothing about the way they have been and still are incompetently flailing about in the social media market that makes one think they're headed in a trajectory different from Microsoft's.

Say what you want about Apple, but at least it only took them one failure (Ping) to realize they don't understand social media at all and should leave it to those who do.

1. Phil Kingston

Re: Google should concede they can't do everything

Google's track record of failure, or at least of closed-down products, is pretty long - several dozen IIRC.

I fear this one will go the same way as buzz, wave, plus and all the others.

They definitely do seem to have this desire to keep straying from their core business and hoping something sticks. Social search history ain't gonna be it though.

4. Cynical Observer
    Facepalm

Spaces - Places with little or no content.

Com'on Marketing.... Surely you can do better.

5. Mark 85
    Meh

Oh joy... being able to search past social media posts. Like for last Tuesday's dinner picture? The rant from 2 months ago? The "I'm in love" post for the 75th time from 6 weeks ago? Meh....

6. Oengus
    Thumb Down

Just another source

This will just be another source of personally identifiable data for the Google advertising empire.

7. ckdizz

Just buy Twitter and put Dorsey out of his misery already.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spaces is not Facebook etc

Despite what many quick blog posts / news reports from I/O seem to say, this looks far more like Slack than Facebook, Twitter and the like.

9. Tommy Pock

Myspaces

It can't fail.

10. Barry Rueger

'Ello? Can you hear me?

It's almost certain that Spaces (or is it "Space?") will run headlong into the same problem that G+ and other new social media have faced: it's not enough to be better, you have to find some really compelling reason for a very large number of people to move over from Facebook, Twitter, or... um... Ello.

Facebook sucks, and sucks more every month, and arguably does nothing even satisfactorily, but it is still the juggernaut for one reason: pretty much anyone you might want to find is already there.

Because they have their hooks in such a large part of the population - or at least all of my relatives - they can be crappy and annoying, but still survive.

So the question isn't "What can Google do to invent a better social media platform?"

It's "What can Google do that will convince several million people to abandon Facebook for Spaces?"

I doubt that Google can figure that out, and intead will manage to alienate even more Google+, Gmail, and other Google users.

11. Trixr

Is that why the recent update to bloody StreetView wanted to get new perms to every kind of media available on the device as well as "identity", etc?

Still not installed.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google+

Yawn, more clickbait about its so called failure.

However for me, it's quality over quantity. 100 interesting posts on G+ are worth more than 100,000 worthless what I had for dinner posts on Facebook.

I have no time for Facebook and their privacy invasion (an account deleted over years ago, still knows my former connections), its confusing sharing rules and idiot magnet nature.

I have alot of time for G+ (which has a clear privacy policy, proper closure option and clarity on who you are sharing what with)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon