back to article Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff tells Reg data loss 'minimal'

Salesforce.com's nasty outage and subsequent data loss haven't made a major impact on customers. CEO Marc Benioff has told The Register. In a private Twitter message, Benioff told us “The amount of data lost was minimized because this was a North American instance(na14) and the loss occurred in the middle of the night.” From …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

“The amount of data lost was minimized because this was a North American instance(na14) and the loss occurred in the middle of the night.”

Sure Marc, sure. Because computers don't work in the dark, everybody knows that. I mean it's not like some firms do business with other firms located in different timezones or have divisions there.

2. ckdizz

I'm not using any cloud solution whose CEO looks like he should be sitting under a bridge drinking Brasso.

1. Mark 85

Maybe it's me... a CEO who uses emojis and isn't 20 years old. Sorry, doesn't exactly inspire confidence....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I just read about this company because while everyone is busy depreciating Flash legacy applications, Salesforce just rolled out a new Flash app. Tells you everything about them really.

4. Captain DaFt

Sign of the Horns

It's also used to ward off the Evil Eye, Used as a "knock on wood" type gesture.

I'd guess that's the context he used. (Security by supernatural?)

1. 0laf
      Devil

Re: Sign of the Horns

Or maybe he's just a tit

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Cloud...

PR: Powered by unicorns, run by Wizards.

Reality: Somebody else's computers you have no control over, run by idiots for maximum profit.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Isn't the Cloud just great ?

I keep reading about how things go TITSUP, but it's never really important and nobody is ever really impacted.

I'm sure all the companies that have lost tens of thousands in sales agree completely and are ready to do it all over again.

What Benioff is really saying, of course, is that this failure will have minimal impact on his bottom line, since all the companies using his "service" are absolutely unable to pull roots and go somewhere else. So the devil sign was very appropriate.

7. 0laf
    FAIL

So basically the strategy here for preventing large data losses is to cross your fingers?

Because the only thing that I can see here that made the loss 'minimal' rather than biblical is luck.

8. Tchou
    FAIL

The loss is minimal, except if your data are in that "minimal"

9. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
    Pint

"From which we deduce that sales people can sleep at night. Who knew?"

Fantastic!

10. dpk

Whilst its disappointing to see a company lose customer data - and take the matter so lightly - customers that are very serious about their data wouldn't have relied solely on Salesforce; there are data protection offerings out there for SaaS applications. The protection of your valuable data is your own responsibility - be it on premise or in the cloud.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like