back to article Radiohead vid prompts Trumpton rumpus

Brit band Radiohead have got the good burghers of Middle England choking on their breakfast cereal with the video for single Burn the Witch, which reinvents an idyllic English village as a dark rural enclave of "paganism and sacrificial murder". A still from Burn The Witch, showing a pagan ritual Burn The Witch: Paganism and …

1. Chika
    Happy

Optional

I don't see it as being all that bad, especially as more than one person in Camberwick Green no doubt wished they could have burned Mrs. Honeyman at the stake on occasion!

Having said that, Trumptonshire always struck me as more of a ducking stool sort of area than a burning area...

1. Martin Cable

The Ducking Stool

....is at 1 minute sixteen seconds in. Doesn't seem to be working very well....

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Videos coming up next

The Rolling Stones as the Thunderbirds

Morrissey as Captain Scarlet

Wolf Alice as Space 1999

1. ThomH

Re: Videos coming up next

I was looking for a Mysteron and then I found a Mysteron, and heaven knows I'm miserable now.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And Pink Floyd as... Pink Floyd?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

and Michael Caine as... Michael Caine... in every sodding film he's been in!!

4. EddieD

Face it folks, if this lawsuit doesn't work, next time it's Florence on the guillotine and Dougal in the gas chamber

5. Marty-SNGC

Dire Straights have already done Thunderbirds, with Calling Elvis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUavFsfbFv8

6. JPeasmould

Wouldn't Morrissey be better represented by Deputy Dawg?

3. OwenMc64

Re: Optional

I haven't replayed to check, but I believe that one end of the kiddies see-saw was a ducking stool, which at the time I thought was another one of those hidden clues :-)

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

"Radiohead should have sought our consent [...] It is not something we would have authorised."

What would be the point in their seeking your consent then, unless you have the legal right to stop them? Are they actually breaching the copyright (if it hasn't expired), or you just trying to dine out on the work of your grandparents?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The family of 95-year-old Gordon Murray "

i.e not dead yet.

Apparently the script writer is still with us too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_Prince

2. Fibbles

Copyright in the UK has an exception for parody. I can't see any legal action getting very far.

3. James 51

For a moment I thought there was some weird mash up with More or Less.

4. FuzzyWuzzys

Parody?

Wouldn't this be covered by "parody"? Lots of comedy shows have mocked Trumpton, although I've no idea if they have asked permission first.

1. JetSetJim

Re: Parody?

Section 30A of the 1988 Copyright act states that a "parody" is something that imitates a work for humorous or satirical effect, a "pastiche" is a composition that is made up of selections from various sources or one that imitates the style of another artist or period, and that a "caricature" is something that portrays its subject in a simplified or exaggerated way, whether insulting or complimentary and whether for a political purpose or solely for entertainment.

So, it's a pastiche of The Wicker Man and Trumpton/Camberwick Green. Case closed.

Personally, I thought it was brilliant, and if anything could foster a mild revival of the old series if they cared to capitalise on it.

Given that it's "the family of Gordon Murray", and not Gordon Murray himself, methinks the 95 year old is prossibly non-compos mentis enough to bitch about it, or safely tucked away in a home where he won't be bothered by such trivialities as the real world.

Either that, or their legal dept said "you'll lose the case overall, but best rattle our sabres to show we're defending our IPR so we mitigate risk later on", which I know applies to trademarks and not copyright, but who knows what they've registered.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

No need for parody. They didn't use any of the original footage, they just made models in the same style. Trumpton don't own that style of puppet or stop motion animation

2. Chika
        Trollface

So, it's a pastiche of The Wicker Man and Trumpton/Camberwick Green. Case closed.

There was an episode where Windy Miller is called in to remove a swarm of bees from a tree next to the bakery...

5. Roq D. Kasba

Fuck, that's pretty dark

Hmmm

1. VinceH

Re: Fuck, that's pretty dark

As Lester said, it's just the Wicker Man. If you haven't seen it, it's worth a watch. (The original, at least - I haven't seen the Nicholas Cage remake as yet. I'm not expecting much, but I do have it recorded; I intend to watch them back to back at some point.)

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Fuck, that's pretty dark

Don't under any circumstances watch the Nicholas Cage remake. A hideous travesty.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

There was no Nicholas Cage remake

...and no sequel(s) to The Matrix.

1. DavCrav
            Headmaster

Re: There was no Nicholas Cage remake

"There was no Nicholas Cage remake"

And we've managed to go three comments without spelling Nicolas Cage's name correctly...

So technically you are correct, there is no Nicholas Cage remake.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Surely worth it for the joy of Mr Cage being burnt in a giant wicker man ( spoiler?) ?

Not punishment enough, in my opinion.

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
              Unhappy

<Obligatory>

NOT THE BEES!

BLARGH BLARGH ARRRRGGHHHH!!!

</Obligatory>

My apologies to all....

3. Anomalous Croissant
          Devil

But it had such great scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6i2WRreARo

4. TheOtherHobbes

>The Wicker Man

The remake was a bit of a basket case.

1. Baskitcaise

"The remake was a bit of a basket case."

Oi! do you mind?

(note my handle, thank you)

5. VinceH

"Don't under any circumstances watch the Nicholas Cage remake. A hideous travesty."

D'oh.

Do you know what you've done there, Lester?

You've only gone and put a big red button labelled "DO NOT PRESS" over the remake.

I'll have them both watched by the weekend.

Good luck ;-)

1. VinceH

I had a little video editing to do last night - so with exporting the result likely to take most of the night, I decided I may as well watch them both then.

I didn't think the original was as good as I remembered it. Mind you, I was probably barely even a teen when I originally saw it. Possibly younger. Terrible upbringing, I know. I blame the parents. :) 7/10 (It would have been 8 if it wasn't a bit too musical - I didn't remember that at all)

As for the Nicolas Cage version, that wasn't as bad as I expected it to be - but still crap. 3/10.

6. Robigus
    Thumb Up

Drunk on cider in charge of a windmill

My teenagers got the cultural references. "Weird but cool" sums up their verdicts.

I thought it poorer for missing a puppet version of Britt Ekland dancing in her pants.

1. BoldMan

Re: Drunk on cider in charge of a windmill

Pants? She wasn't wearing pants...

1. Natalie Gritpants

And it wasn't Britt Ekland

1. EddieD

Top half was.

The rear view full monty wasn't - Britt was preggers at the time, and her tummy was starting to distend

7. Chris G

Dark rural enclave

Hmm, describes quite a few villages and their Parish councils that I have come across.

"Are you local?"

"We sell very nice meat pies."

1. Kane

Re: Dark rural enclave

"Hmm, describes quite a few villages and their Parish councils that I have come across."

For the Greater Good!

8. Triggerfish

Try this

Try this someone has created a rap over an whole episode deserves more fuss than it gets. Windy Miller, buys more than flour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz0frCr_RoE

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No worries:

Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub will be there to put the witch out, drain the pond or perform some other firey related miracle.

10. Mage Silver badge

idyllic English village

Even Anthony Horowitz (the writer) thought Midsommer Murder series had too high a body count. So he didn't explain that paganism was the REAL cause.

11. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Copyright Care-o-meter hovering near zero!

We consider that there is a breach of copyright and we are deciding what to do next."

"Before yesterday we thought we had invented all of western civilization all by ourselves with nary copying or inspiration. Today we learn that it is actually possible to do things that are similar to what we did and the government hasn't yet dispatched killbots. We already have hired M. Orlowski from the renowned Copyright-Pressing netzine "The Register" to write fiery articles bemoaning the planned starvation and wholescale holocaust of creative types in these modern times!"

12. Gavin Chester

Well...

I'm not a radiohead fan but now I'm just curious to go watch the video anyway.

As they say there no such thing as bad publicity..

1. lorisarvendu

Re: Well...

I'm not a radiohead fan but now I'm just curious to go watch the video anyway.

As they say there no such thing as bad publicity..

Personally I thought it was a bit "nice video, shame about the song", but that may just be my taste. Your mileage may vary.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lets MASH UP!

The Prodigy's Firestarter and The Flumps.

1. VinceH
      Thumb Up

Re: Lets MASH UP!

I think the Flumps must have been after my time - I've heard of them but never seen them. The word makes me think of Marshmallows, though, so combining them with something involving fire sounds like a good plan.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Unless you're in the top quartile of reader age, The Flumps were probably before your time.

1. frank ly

I think that Vince is trying to tell us that he died in the early seventies. It's wonderful that he stays in touch from beyond the grave.

1. VinceH

Yes, it's amazing where you can get an internet connection from these days. :p

What I meant, of course, was that I thought The Flumps might have been on children's TV after I stopped being a proper child and turned into the full grown child that I have been for the last however many years. (Because like everyone else, that's the point I stopped watching new children's TV stuff, and carried on watching children's TV stuff that was on when I was a proper child.

Or something like that.

And I was sort of right: Having now checked, it appears that The Flumps was a documentary (about a family of Tribbles by the looks of it) on children's TV from 1976. Strictly speaking, I was still a child at that point, but I'd say it was aimed at a slightly younger viewer than me.

And while typing the above, I've realised why they make me think of Marshmallows.

1. Chika

How about U2 and the Flowerpot Men?

(At least until the man who works in the garden finishes his lunch!)

2. Haku

What about The Prodigy's Outer Space and The Trap Door?

Actually I have The Flumps on DVD...

14. wolfetone Silver badge

50 Cent already ripped off Thomas The Tank Engine, and NO ONE has batted an eyelid about it.

Seriously starting to dislike the double standards of El Reg these days.

Eh?

You've lost me. What double standards exactly?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Eh?

The reporting of Radiohead and ignoring 50 Cent, however I've just noticed the sarcasm/joke button is broken on my computer.

1. Geoffrey W

They aren't reporting Radiohead <spit> doing something, they're reporting the creators of Trumpton bitching about it which probably is worth at least mentioning though one cant help wondering if Radiohead <spit> factored in the complaints when deciding to do it.

1. BoldMan

I for one am grateful they are ignoring half a dollar or whatever...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Isnt he now 0 cents since filing for bankrupcy?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a fucking racket!

Oi Radiohead - NO!

16. Triggerfish

Well if we are talking mash up

Noel Coward's - Rehab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90VCKVDXQwY

He also did firestarter but it was taken down. :(

17. Haku

Crusty jugglers...

Anyone else get a Hot Fuzz vibe?

I'm not a Radiohead fan but I really liked the video,

18. Robert Ramsay

Life On Mars got there first.

Is it Gene Hunt? Is he beating up a nonce?

19. lorisarvendu

And then of course there was this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piE-VEubGr4

EDIT: Great minds, Robert Ramsay, Great minds...

20. VinceH

"Radiohead should have sought our consent as we consider this a tarnishing of the brand. It is not something we would have authorised. We consider that there is a breach of copyright and we are deciding what to do next."

Can you really claim copyright on a very general look and feel? Because that's what this is, really, isn't it? Unless any of the actual puppets and backdrops are direct lifts from the originals.

21. itzman
    Paris Hilton

Dull incomprehensible video...

to match a dull incomprehensible song.

Perfect.

1. GX5000

Re: Dull incomprehensible video...

DL'ed before buying, listened and deleted it.

They've made much better stuff than this drek,

22. LesB

They've only just noticed?

Released nearly two weeks ago...

Personally, I can't see anything wrong with a little Trumpton Noir...

1. Haku

Re: They've only just noticed?

Including this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O6TqhrAcVo

1. Chris G

Well, the music was better in this one but I liked the Dark flavour of the Radiohead video it reminded me of when I lived in North Devon, there were reputed to be a few covens there in the '70s and '80s.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, it's all Urban Hype.

3. lorisarvendu
      Happy

Have an upvote for coining the phrase "Trumpton Noir"

23. Harry the Bastard

i'm waiting for the playmonaut version

where our intrepid hero makes an emergency landing near a small village

the locals seem friendly, at first...

24. /dev/null

In the words of the Four Lads Who Shook The Wirral...

Someone get a message through to Captain Snort

That they’d better start assembling the boys from the fort

And keep Mrs Honeyman right out of sight

‘Cos there’s gonna be a riot down in Trumpton tonight!

25. Graham Marsden
    Happy

What about the Time Flies by... by Half Man, Half Biscuit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpx7uM-5Y3Q

"Time flies by when you're the driver of a train.

"Steaming into Trumpton with a carog of cocaine."

1. Graham Marsden
      Unhappy

Re: What about the Time Flies by... by Half Man, Half Biscuit?

s/carog/cargo :-(

1. John 110

Re: What about the Time Flies by... by Half Man, Half Biscuit?

What a disappointment - I thought a carog was some sort of archaic measure like a fother (40 bushels, if you want to know)

26. Stevie

Bah!

"The good burghers of Middle England" should stop whining to the Daily Mail and do something about the national disgrace that is the county of Midsomer.

18 seasons so far and no sign of the blood bath that is Rural Middle England abating.

Clean your own house, you silly burghers!

1. Chika

Re: Bah!

Could I have some mustard on that burgher please?

27. PhilipN Silver badge

That's nothing

Those of us who spent a childhood in rural England particularly going to the local church will know that paganism and witchcraft is nothing compared with the kind of vicious, dark and hate-filled things the twisted old biddies would say behind everyone's back. Some of it would make your hair stand on end.

Almost as bad as working in an office.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More pretentious crap from the UK's most pretentious "artists"

29. scrubber
    Joke

I wonder...

Is The Donald the mayor?

1. Chika

Re: I wonder...

Is The Donald the mayor?

Only if he's wearing a wig these days.

30. Hepi

They should have called the pub: 'The Culled Badger'.

31. This post has been deleted by its author

32. Chika

I know it has been a while since this item was posted, but...

Gordon Murray, RIP 1921-2016

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon