back to article Marc Benioff apologizes as Salesforce NA14 instance goes TITSUP

Workers across the US have been tearing their hair out after the Salesforce NA14 instance suffered a Total Inability To Support Usual Performance around 11 hours ago. Salesforce outage map That's a lot of peeved Californians. Source: DownDetector. Outages have been reported across the US, with the epicenter in the company' …

1. Oengus

Gotta love Cloud...

You have to love the benefits of SaaS...

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Gotta love Cloud...

Shit as a Service?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

That's amazing downtime

Was it a hit by a dirty player?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's amazing downtime

If it knocked itself out, yes.

3. xperroni
    Headmaster

Definition of "successful"

Salesforce's support team said the problems occurred after it performed a "successful site switch" on the instance from its primary data center after power supply problems caused nearly two hours of downtime in around 24 hours ago.

I'm not sure how these people define "successful", but it's hardly what I'd call 12h of downtime.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Definition of "successful"

As all successful business people know, the difference between success and failure is the words you use to describe what happened

1. John Jc

Re: Definition of "successful"

To be fair, it appears the failover worked... then something else broke

Jc

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: To be fair, it appears the failover worked... then something else broke

The Windows 10 upgrade of the medical equipment was successful. The patient undergoing treatment at the time however sadly succumbed before the final reboot.

"Success" should always be measured from the customer's viewpoint, not as read about in the Director's Summary in the ABC Disaster Recovery Company's Annual Report.

4. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Not Available 14

Just looking at the title made me come up with that. I thought there were Brand Consultants who advised companies what they called their products/services to reduce the possibility of parody?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Power Supply Problems

Really, that's the best they could do? How does one have a "power supply problem" that affects an entire DC? I think it was raining on the east coast of the US yesterday. No severe storms, just Spring weather as usual. No backup generators? Maybe a weasel-like rodent bit into their power line? Was Carl Fiorina in town yesterday?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Power Supply Problems

Wild ass guess: since there are so few "instances" given the size of the company and the bloatyness of their SaaS, might they be using mainframes? I vaguely remember rumors that they were a poster-child for mainframes last decade; maybe they still are. And while mainframes would surely have dual-redundant PSUs, if one fails but the sysadmins don't notice or take their dear sweet time to replace it, then the other one fails... they're SOL. It's a proprietary replacement part. And it takes a courier about 12 hours to drive it down from upstate New York.

But what do I know? I use commodity 'cloud' hosting and I don't have to deal with problems like this... because they never happen.

6. Linker3000

Autoplay MS ad top of page

Fkn annoying on my phone on train on way to work. Please stop this crap.

Thanks.

1. Linker3000

Re: Autoplay MS ad top of page

Autoplay MS^H^H ads top of page.

FIFM.

Please at least detect mobile browsers and replace auto play ads with a static image.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Autoplay ** ad top of page

Readers who don't like it should block it. It'll be ten times more effective than whinging here [?].

1. Linker3000

Re: Autoplay ** ad top of page

Readers with corporate phones who aren't allowed to install adblockers disagree.

1. Triggerfish

Re: Autoplay ** ad top of page @Linker3000

Well that sucks, we go the other way and recommend them.

3. Triggerfish

Adblocker?

1. Linker3000

Adblockers not allowed on corporate phone. Believe me, I tried (physically and trying to get approval).

1. Adrian 4

Your corporate wonks WANT you to watch ads ?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Adblockers not allowed on corporate phone. Believe me, I tried (physically and trying to get approval)."

Oh well, if your IT people are that stupid (and sadly I've seen some around that are that dim), you may have to wait for the mobile-telco-operated adblockers to kick in then. Hopefully won't be too long now.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/01/mobile_ad_blocking_will_destroy_app_developers/

7. Triggerfish

successful site switch

That sentence, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means.

8. Julz

Optional

Just wondering if this will result in any meaningful losses.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Optional

God I hope so. I haven't been cajoled into doing any Salesfarce integration in over a year but I still receive crap data exported from it on a regular basis. Please just die, Shitforce.

9. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

I guess it will be up "momentarily"...

(For Americans: There is a joke in there, honest)

10. pdebarra

"We have determined that data written to the NA14 instance between 9:53 UTC and 14:53 UTC on May 10, 2016 could not be restored."

Oops.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

A "Droopy" event or a "Droppy" event?

I am NOT happy.

Meanwhile, it seems NA14 has been up for a couple of hours now.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Salesforce NA14 instance

What exactly is 'Salesforce NA14 instance'?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Manananana14!

"NORTH AMURRICA ONE-FOUR, CAN YOU HEAR ME? COME IN, NORTH AMURRICA ONE-FOUR!! GODDAMMIT, I HAVE AIR FORCE ONE ON THE OTHER LINE..."

"Copying loud and clear. We had a little incident with the Dead Alien Storage. All ok now, few casualties. Smoking personnel has been dispatched for immediate cleanup operations."

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

NA11

It could've been worse. Water vapour (in clouds), doesn't mix too well with Sodium.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like