back to article Google discovers you assume clouds just work

Google's proved to itself that when users take workloads to the cloud they just assume cloud operators will be takin' care of business. Last year, the cloud challenger announced it had introduced non-disruptive live migration of virtual machines, so that it could patch VMs without asking users to endure an interruption or …

1. streaky
    Holmes

Yes.

Pretty sure that's the point. This is all.

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: Yes.

The main argument I've heard for migrating to cloud services is "I don't want to be responsible for this, I don't want to manage this, La La La I'm not listening, don't blame me blame AWS/Azure/Google/Delete as appropriate"

I'm way too much of a control freak over my data and services to be comfortable with this although I know that problems of scale and to some degree reliability go away. I'd want these alerts so at least I can be informed about the health of my cloud services. I really can't imagine shrugging my shoulders and telling the boss "dunno mate, it's Google innit? Nuffink I can do squire. Nope, no idea, they haven't said anyfink."

I am, however, in a minority of one and I am aware this makes me a freak.

1. future research

Re: Yes.

I'm way too much of a control freak over my data and services to be comfortable with this although I know that problems of scale and to some degree reliability go away. I'd want these alerts so at least I can be informed about the health of my cloud services. I really can't imagine shrugging my shoulders and telling the boss "dunno mate, it's Google innit? Nuffink I can do squire. Nope, no idea, they haven't said anyfink."

Although I agree with you. I am finding that after moving some stuff to the cloud when it goes wrong you can just say to the boss "dunno mate, it's Google innit? Nuffink I can do squire. Nope, no idea, they haven't said anyfink." and he just accepts it at face value, and I can forget about it. although you may need to add, "no, there is now way to contact them, what would cost more. You just have to wait until they fix it." more stress free, but they may not be needed my services any longer soon.

2. John Robson Silver badge

That's good...

They have looked and decided that alerting users to BAU activity that is reliable is worse than telling them nothing - since they stop reading the alerts for serious issues.

The point of cloudy services is that it is SEP - so that's how people treat it.

3. jake Silver badge

For values of "you" ...

... that include the CluelessGreatUnwashed. Those of us with half a clue aren't going to buy into the nonsense. Sorry, google.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"surfacing" FFS

I throw up a little in my mouth every time I see this.

1. Mike Shepherd
      Meh

Re: "surfacing" FFS

It's just the usual attempt to impress by avoiding straightforward language, like their reference to "incremental value" (which they hope is more imposing than just "value").

1. Quentin Finknottle Again

Re: "surfacing" FFS

Not really - "incremental value" is like a quantum leap. It is the smallest change possible. By incrementing value, they just add the smallest amount possible c.f. int value++

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like