back to article Google HQ evacuated

Google's headquarters in Mountain View, California, were evacuated on Friday afternoon after a threat was made against the ad giant. No injuries have been reported. The offices were cleared out and cops showed up "out of an abundance of caution," said police spokeswoman Katie Nelson. We've heard that four buildings were …

1. Number6

Google Search or Google Searched?

2. Howard Hanek
    Holmes

Curious

I hope the intelligence people were able to plant all those bugs in time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Curious

I hope the intelligence people were able to plant all those bugs in time.

You mean, as a backup to what they bring voluntarily? Yes, not a bad idea. You never know, they may at some point suffer an attack of ethics. No, no, just kidding (obviously).

3. jake Silver badge

Out of curiosity ...

... does anybody with more that three working brain-cells that this is the first time that the googleplex has been threatened? One wonders why the evacuation & MVPD (who aren't prone to knee-jerk reactions) search?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Out of curiosity ...

Yes, it could be that the public "success" leads to more threats, but only briefly.

These guys have a fairly direct line to intel resources (their rather visible presence in the White House suggests nothing less), so I guess any prankster who tries this will find a SWAT team outside their door before they've even closed their email program.

I'm the first to agree that the supply of idiots is seemingly endless, but I still think that a few "educational" events will stem the tide somewhat.

1. x 7

Re: Out of curiosity ...

"These guys have a fairly direct line to intel resources"

I thought they'd switched from Intel to ARM chips?

4. Chronos
    Devil

Obligatory...

Law enforcement searched for potential threats - and got 1,030,284 results. Many were adverts, the rest were completely irrelevant SEO chancers gaming the system.

1. deshepherd

Re: Obligatory...

Law enforcement added that there were too many search results to investigate so, on advice from a retired cop in LA, they'd asked Google if they were feeling lucky

1. Kurt Meyer

@deshepherd

Thanks for the laugh. One small quibble. SF, not LA.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

No, it was an LA cop. The geo-location wasn't quite up to scratch that day. Again,

1. Kurt Meyer
            Thumb Up

Excellent riposte, that is a large part of why I visit El Reg.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hope it's not a trick to justify their "deep influence" about many Muslim-Israel related things in Pentagon.

And hope thay will keep The Register same position in search results after the news Register published on that topic some days ago.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"A few buildings evacuated out of an abundance of caution, now back to normal, all good," said spokes-Googler Rob Shilkin on Google+ Twitter.

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What word? Who's 'you'?

7. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

Googleplex evacuated in record time

Sources close to the matter say Google management decided to drop support for the building and gave the customary notice period to users. They stressed that this was usual company procedure and nothing for to be worried about.

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Googleplex evacuated in record time

The building was still in beta, anyway...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it a financial value you have to reach in order for your fire alarm mis-activations to become headlines?

Curious

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Je suis Googly!

Yes.

(OTOH, if you are a droned peon that wanted to attend a marriage and got a hellfire instead, no-one will notice or even raise an eyebrow)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon