back to article Save it, devs. Red Hat doesn't want your $99 for RHEL

Red Hat has cut the $99 price of its Linux developer subscription to zero, for penguins building cloud microservices using containers. The company today is expected to start giving away its Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) subscription for free as part of the existing Red Hat Developer Program. The free license runs in tandem …

1. nematoad
    Windows

Careful now.

"Harry Mower, senior director of the Red Hat developer group and former Microsoft man,"

Now I may be getting paranoid in my old age but I have to say that that sentence had chills running down my back.

I know that it is usual for someone with particular skills to move from company to company, but even if you take the man out of Microsoft how much of Microsoft is left in the man?

1. Buzzword

Re: Careful now.

How could you possibly accuse a former Microsoft man like Stephen Elop Harry Mower of destroying a company like Nokia Red Hat?

2. Nezumi
    Linux

Does RHEL Dev' edition get access to patches and security updates?

I've started looking into this as I'm giving serious consideration to moving my home labs from Windows to CentOS. Whilst I'm aware that RHEL and CentOS are basically the same, I would like to use RHEL if possible.

I'm mindful that I'm going to need patches and security updates. I can't confirm my entitlement to these if I deploy instances of the OS. I'm also not sure if I'm strictly allowed to use the OS in personal labs for non-commercial use. I expect to end up doing some scripting, but not development per-se.

Can anyone advise? I need updates and also don't want to use the OS if I shouldn't be.

Ta Muchly!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does RHEL Dev' edition get access to patches and security updates?

Personally I run my Linux setup on Debian for the patches and security and it works quite nice with everything I've thrown at it. I still have a lot of work to do as there are lots of different things I would like to implement and try. I've even set up jboss for some web analytical software on it, which works quite well though it did have a steep learning curve with scant resources available on the web.

I'm also curious at this as I originally cut my teeth in Linux using Red Hat many many years ago. My concern with this is that it's not aimed at production so I'm unsure it will get the patch love the full product gets or it may be a bona fide test environment.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The article talks about RHEL licencing, but surely it means agreement because the RHEL licence is, are at least significantly, GPL other FOSS licence.

1. Nigel 11

RHEL Licensing

I don't use RHEL so I cannot be sure. However, the GPL permits "mere aggregation" of closed-source packages on the same media. Therefore, there may be packages (of necessity outside the kernel) that are Red Had proprietary closed source, which you don't get if you run Centos or any other Linux. Centos is now in bed with Red Hat and is basically a compiled version of all of RHEL that is GPL-licensed, for people who don't want to pay for support and any extra proprietary stuff (or as is often stated, simply to be sure of having someone to sue if it takes their business down!)

"Mere aggregation" also allows Red Hat to ship RHEL with copyrighted images (icons, screen backgrounds etc.) I don't suppose they'd give a damn if Centos accidentally shipped some of them, beyond asking politely for the next release to remove them. OTOH if they ever showed up in Oracle Linux, expect legal fireworks!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like