back to article US Supremes to hear Samsung's gripes about the patent system after Apple billed it $550m

It's a busy week for Apple, with the company showing off new products this morning and a court showdown with the FBI tomorrow. Now the US Supreme Court has just added more to the workload with Case 15‑77 [PDF]. In December, Samsung appealed to the Supremes in its long-running patent squabble with Apple over the design of its …

1. Robert Moore

Trump... Informed?

"raising the prospect of Donald Trump making a more informed decision on the matter."

Funniest thing I have ever read!

1. Mark Exclamation

Re: Trump... Informed?

And you think Ted Cruz, the far-right-wing, member of the extremist Tea Party, religious fruit-and-nut-case, is any better? I know you didn't say that, but I thought I might add some sobriety to the conversation.

1. DiViDeD

@ Mark,

Just because the other Republican also ran is a dribbling looney doesn't make Trump into Einstein. Has it never occurred to you that Trump and Cruz might BOTH be batshit crazy, and that choosing between them would be like being given the choice between death by hanging or impalement?

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Hanging please. Much faster way to go.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Only if the hangman is competent (the drop breaks your neck - death is near instantanious. If it doesn't, you get to hang there until you die of dehydration... so several days...).

As we're talking Trump and Cruz, can I have the firing squad? They're more likely to shoot each other or themselves than me...

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Hanging by the neck will kill you by asphyxiation long before you dehydration becomes a problem. Still very uncomfortable but might be better than suffering through another Trump speech.

2. Mark Exclamation

@DiV, I am absolutely convinced that ALL the Republican candidates are batshit crazy, and that ALL the current US presidential candidates are bad for the world. However, concentrating on Trump only, means the others get a free ride, when they all should be exposed for what they really are!

2. Efros

Bellendous spunktrumpet

Has become my favourite expression of contempt lately.

3. foxyshadis
    Big Brother

Won't be 4-4

It's pithy to assume that the Supreme Court will break even because it does in some highly controversial cases, but if you look at its recent patent decisions, there hasn't been a single 4-5 decision in the last 16 years, and many are unanimous: http://writtendescription.blogspot.com/p/patents-scotus.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Won't be 4-4

I agree. Patents aren't a partisan issue for the Supreme Court, and while we may not always agree with their decisions they usually have a pretty strong agreements amongst themselves one way or another. Remember, they are not allowed to decide on "common sense" grounds, but only to interpret the laws congress has written. If you want common sense, you have to convince congress to change patent law (and THEN it becomes a partisan issue)

1. asdf

If you want common sense, you have to not let the lawyers write the laws.

FIFY. Vested interest in billable hours and all.

2. asdf

Yeah the SCOTUS is saving the 4 to 4 for the next Gore v Bush this election (if the Repubs can somehow get rid of Trump as their nominee).

4. Terry Cloth
    Big Brother

[T]he highest court in the Land of the Scared

FTFY.

(I live there, and see all too much of it.)

5. FozzyBear
    Unhappy

A sad state of affairs

when you have to spend millions in an attempt to argue in court that common sense should prevail

6. Nigel 11

In the interests of justice ...

The eight should secretly toss some coins to decide who gets to be indisposed on the day that they consider this case. Although if the Supreme court can be as much relied upon to always split along political party lines as the US government can be, that ain't going to happen. It also means that the USA has bigger problems than I realized.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like