1. tabman

Apple TV -

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here own an Apple TV? My friend is considering buying one but I have a couple of concerns though that I haven’t been able to fully answer through research on the net. Hopefully someone here can give me a few pointers. She will be using this in place of, not alongside, a terrestrial TV service (viewing probably 6+ hours Monday-Friday and 12+ Saturday / Sunday. I’m not really looking for advice on whether Apple TV is better or worse than Roku (or similar devices), I’m looking for advice on the legal & technical side.

She believes that by using the ATV, she will no longer need a TV licence. Is that correct? She is planning on blanking off the TV aerial connector on the wall as a way of proving that she will not be watching live broadcasts but surely she still could through services like iPlayer?

She would be using her iPhone as a hotspot to provide the connectivity for the ATV. Is this realistic? Are there truly uncapped or very large data plans for mobiles which are not unrealistically expensive?

Thanks,

1. only_mortal

Re: Apple TV -

Not a huge difference between the Apple TV and the Roku3 in the UK. Both have iPlayer, NowTV and Netflix.

If you're in an Apple world, the Apple TV is a better way due to iTunes and AirPlay mirroring.

Roku has M-Go (US only afaik) and wifi mirroring from modern Android devices. It can also see some streaming servers on a LAN but doesn't know many codecs.

I've got a Roku3 connected over a VPN to the States for a better experience. Netflix, M-Go and Amazon Prime are offered amongst many services you don't see in the UK.

Forget tethering. Get a real internet connection.

2. Christena421

Re: Apple TV -

Sir i have Sony TV but my uncle have Apple TV and they no need to get a licence, i don't know about hotspot sir.

2. kanavsingh

Is apple tv worth buying ? or should i go for android tv?

1. DidierAubin87

It is your own option, Apply products are perfect to me, and I think all Apple products have their own functions which others don't get

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon