back to article McDonald's Sweden adds fries to VR

Forever on the lookout for ways to avoid criticism that its packaging creates unnecessary litter, McDonald's has remade its Happy Meal boxes in Sweden so they can be re-folded into Google Cardboard VR sets. News of the promotion comes to us from AdWeek, which said the company plans to run off 3,500 "Happy Goggles." There will …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Emperor's new VR

It's not virtual reality. It's strapping a phone to your face with greasy salty cardboard.

VR will fail just like 3D TVs, home 3D printers, and smart watches have.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: VR will fail just like 3D TVs, home 3D printers, and smart watches have.

VR will fail just like the horseless carriage, the spinning jenny and the "wireless" have.

VR was shit in the 80s. The technology has got a little better....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: VR will fail just like 3D TVs, home 3D printers, and smart watches have.

... Still shit.

Also terrible analogy as all those technologies were massively successful, and one was obsoleted, whereas OP examples are all technologies which were heavily marketed in tech press, yet failed all meaningful market penetration.

Additional: VR isn't so much a discrete technology as it is ... Strapping a phone to your face.

2. davycrocket

Re: Emperor's new VR

None of your examples have failed - they all work very well indeed.

Just because you don't have the money or time for them or they haven't hit your sales targets...

Has Linux failed?

Has the Bugatti failed?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This could work..

.. with ketchup acting as a blood.

Hmm.. There is a bad joke in there somewhere. I'm sure that McDonalds' will be embarrassed soon, and only at that point will I be "Lovin' it" ..

3. ratfox
    Pint

Always wanted to put on my face something greasy and smelling of fries.

1. Captain DaFt

Nope!

Just for the record, there's no way in hell I'm letting this anywhere near my face!

4. jake Silver badge

Better use for greasy used cardboard ...

Fire starter. Learn to grill/BBQ for yourselves, people. It ain't rocket science. And it's hell of a lot tastier than anything you're going to get at a fast so-called "food" joint.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: Better use for greasy used cardboard ...

a fast so-called "food" joint.

I've always said that in the phrase "fast food", at least one of the words is misleading :)

2. It wasnt me

Re: Better use for greasy used cardboard ...

Brilliant. Next time i'm rushing through Heathrow late for my flight i'll stop and dig out my BBQ. Get a nice little fire going on the concourse. Pop into M&S for some nice fillet steak. Maybe if I get one of the more fancy BBQs I can whip up a little pepper sauce. And then i'll tuck into a nice juicy steak on he middle of T5 whilst my plane disappears off to wherever I didn't really want to go anyway. And there i'll be, thanking Lord Jake for his endless wisdom on the Register. Are you from Utah?

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Pizza Hut cartons

Having scarfed more than my fair share of those cholesterol-packed grease pies, I doubt very much that they can prove useful in any role other than serving as container for all the used napkins on their journey to the circular filing cabinet.

In any case, I would certainly think twice before sticking my valuable projection unit in such a stained enclosure.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

So, no iPhone version then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Alas not, they couldn't work out the right way to hold it.

7. Alastair Dodd 1

well researched

Red/Blue lenses? I don;t think you have a clue how cardboard or pretty much every modern VR headset works - it's not just a 3d gimmick..

8. Doogie Howser MD

Slope Stars?

Didn't Clarkson get in trouble for some similar remark?

9. Pedigree-Pete
    Pint

Just for balance....

Burger King Whopper. mmmmmmm, now I'm lovin' that.

10. davycrocket

Not Virtual Reality

This isn't VR.

I wouldn't even call the Google Cardboard VR - yes, i've tried it, as i've tried the Oculus Rift DK1, DK2, Gear VR and HTC Vive.

If you haven't tried modern VR you have no idea what VR is like.

But you will, eventually.

11. onefang
    Paris Hilton

From my experience food grease tends to make cardboard soft. I don't eat at McDonalds, as they don't sell food, so I dunno about their grease soaked cardboard, but I wouldn't want to strap my rather expensive phone to my face using cardboard that is likely to fall apart.

I own a plastic Google Cardboard clone, a Google Daydream 2017, and an Oculus Rift DK2, I don't need no stinkin' used food wrapper VR.

As for creative uses for used grease soaked cardboard alleged food containers, a method for applying lube to sensitive parts for those that don't do oral? Paris might do it, she has no taste.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like