back to article Schlock and .aw as Dutch net registry rebrands

Admit it, for years you've regarded the Dutch net registrar SIDN as a "fairly conservative organisation", concerned mainly with administering the .nl domain. Well, we've got news for you, because Stichting Internet Domeinregistratie Nederland, to trumpet its full title, has actually evolved into a "dynamic enterprise", whose …

1. caffeine addict

And the old logo looked like...?

Come on guys - please give us the old logo when you do logowatch stuff.

Also - where's the info on getting in on the internet's hottest coldest new domain name?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: And the old logo looked like...?

I have now provided both logos for your comparative viewing pleasure.

2. Paul Cooper
      Angel

Sorry - not the coldest domain name by a long way. .aq is the domain name for Antarctica, and Antarctica is the coldest continent by a very long way.

1. caffeine addict

I didn't say it was the coldest domain name - I said it was the coldest new domain name. Pft. :)

@ Lester - ta!

2. BoldMan

Could be some interesting skiing action on that island - how high is that mountain?

1. Mark 85

It's just a mountain? Here I was thinking it was an extinct volcano. I guess I need to keep looking.... BTW, where can nifty minion uniforms be purchased. I'm asking for a friend.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

It IS actually an inactive vulcano. Its been extincs for so long it's now 95% or so covered in glaciers. As far as lairs go, this one might be a bit suboptimal, both in local climate and location.

3. Alister

What's more, later this year SIDN will offer "services"* connected with .bv, which as you all know is the top-level domain for the Norwegian dependent territory of Bouvetøya.

Umm, why? What's The Netherlands got to do with Norway?

Norway's decided to offshore .bv apparently: http://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/4617-norway-to-sell-its-bv-domain-to-netherland

No idea what purpose that actually serves.

1. Lysenko

Maybe they figure:

BV = Beverage = Starbucks = HUGE PROFITS AND TAXES !!! ... or maybe not.

2. vonBureck

B.V. is the Dutch acronym for a limited company (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Besloten_vennootschap), so within Holland an address like foobarcompany.bv would be equivalent to something foobarcompany.ltd - maybe that was the rationale. Dumb, but plausible.

Yup, that now makes perfect sense.

3. choleric

Maybe they just weren't bvered anymore?

4. bexley

BV is....

....the dutch version of a Ltd company

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In the Netherlands you've got a corporational form called BV (Besloten Vennootschap/Closed Company). It's a bit like the English Ltd or German Gmbh.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

<pedant>

German Gmbh

It's GmbH ("Gemeinschaft mit beschränkter Haftung"). I cannot imagine how much pain a German must feel when reading mixed case ScRiptKiddIE text, as they do like their capital letters in the proper place :).

</pedant>

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

"Our new logo expresses the stability and reliability of our organisation....."

A random hodge-podge with important bits allowed to just drop off the edge then?

5. GrumpenKraut
    Facepalm

Old vs. new

Old logo OK, even somewhat timeless. New logo: a color turd. A drunken 12 year old could do better.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Old vs. new

A drunken 12 year old could do better.

It's probably drawn by a high 12 year old. It's the Netherlands, after all :)

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      WTF?

It's also got the Ivory Coast's flag buried in there.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> New logo: a color turd

No they can't use that, it's Santander's logo (complete with steam rising). And EDF's "Zingy" mascot.

4. imanidiot Silver badge

There seems to be a trend in the Dutch (semi)public institutions that new logos are needed. Whether they actually DO look too outdated for use or maybe just a little dated but still perfectly good. SIDN isn't the only one changing logos lately. And ALL the new ones seem to be designed by the same 4 year old with a pack of crayons after a dose of speed laced tripple espresso.

6. Frederic Bloggs

Voluminous puffery

I don't know from whom their PRs have been taking lessons, but I must say that the PRs have excelled themselves. The original Dutch puff makes many similar British "announcements" seem staid, subtle and succinct. Amazing.

7. defiler

What's the point of the .bv domain name at all? It's an uninhabited island. A "dependency of Norway"? In what way is it dependent?

I'm not convinced that this lump of rock is patiently awaiting input and assistance from Oslo.

Politics and politicians...

1. Frederic Bloggs

This was answered earlier. "BV" is the Dutch equivalent of a Private Limited Company. See here for more detailed info.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think the question was more like: "Why must every insignificant landmass which pokes its head above sea level have its own top-level domain?"

1. Simon Jones [MSDL]

Why does .bv exist as a TLD?

Because BV is an ISO Country Code and every self-respecting country wants its own TLD, whether there are people there to use it or not.

2. Mark 85

"Why must every insignificant landmass which pokes its head above sea level have its own top-level domain?"

Because...profit! Or at least a tax write-off.

8. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

Looks like...

... the design was based on a '60s psychadelic poster!

1. mdavids

Re: Looks like...

Just like our money, before the Euro:

https://dns-check.nl/images/25gulden.jpg

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And noone's stating the obvious...

The new logo is more merry in an Oscar Wilde's kind of way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon