back to article Project Loon ready for Sri Lanka test

Weeks after being released in South America, Alphabet's Project X windbag-broadband balloons have reached their Sri Lanka test area. Last year, Google's parent company and Sri Lanka's minister for foreign affairs, telecommunications and IT Mangala Samaraweera promised that the country's first trial of Project Loon would happen …

1. Mark 85

I'm puzzled...

The article states that the Loons are in Sri Lankan airspace (which to me, means they're up and at some altitude). It then states the team is on it's way to Sri Lanka. Huh? Launch them without the team present? I guess it's also possible that the government spokesperson hasn't clue what they are talking about and that the balloons aren't airborne but "in-country".

<sarc>It's just plain scary that they'd use this to stream TED talks. I'd think there's more important stuff to communicate.</sarc>

1. ratfox
      Trollface

Re: I'm puzzled...

... Like Facebook.

2. DropBear

"Weeks after being released in South America..."

...sooo did the Loons drift with pinpoint accuracy over half the globe from South America to Sri Lanka, did they teleport there directly, or were there simply some trials earlier in South America leading to the freedom of said getting revoked there then reinstated in Sri Lanka...?

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Yeah, streaming TED talks, that's what this'll be used for...

Any chance some of the balloons could wind up in North Korea's airspace?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like