back to article Google after six-year tax foot-drag: No they're fine about the fine. We're fine. No fine

Google has not been fined for taking six years to settle its controversial £130m tax bill with the UK's HMRC, the company confirmed in front of MPs today. Google told the Public Accounts Committee in Westminster, London, it had not been subjected to a fine for taking six years to agree its tax bill between 2005 and 2015, as …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

If this had happened to me the government would expect payment now, not over ten years. How Apple, Google et al. keep getting these sweetheart deals is beyond me. They have billions in their petty cash drawers. Force them to write a check and be done with it.

1. Franco

Simple, they can afford an army of lawyers. Joe Average can't so is forced to accept what HMRC say and pay what they ask when they ask.

2. MonkeyCee

Ah

It's one of the golden rules. I'm not sure which one, since I'm way too poor for that club any more.

But it goes: "If you owe the taxman a thousand quid, then you have a problem. If you owe them a million, then they have the problem."

1. Graham Marsden
        Thumb Down

Re: Ah

"It is very difficult to establish they took insufficient care."

So HMRC have to prove that Google "took insufficient care", whereas the rest of us would have to prove the *we* "took sufficient care".

The Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules...

1. jonathanb Silver badge

No, provided you fully disclose what you have done on your tax return, and the reason why you treated it the way you did, they can't charge a penalty if they disagree with your treatment.

2. maffski

It's nice to know that HMRC are happy that Graham Marsden UK are billing Graham Marsden Ireland an amount in line with European guidance re. transfer pricing.

The alternative Golden Rule: He who has a query regarding taxation may require negotiations to be completed before a due amount can be derived.

If you don't like the rules change them. Tax should be about the most efficient way of extracting the funds needed with minimal damage to the economy. It shouldn't be a tool to bully whichever company the great and good have decided they hate today.

1. Graham Marsden

@maffski - Re: Ah

It has nothing to do with bullying or hatred, it has to do with some tax affairs being "more equal" (oh, the irony!) than others...

3. ratfox
      Boffin

The ten years do not mean that Google has ten years to pay; they mean that Google did not pay enough tax for the past ten years, and they have to pay the total amount now, or at least very soon.

Actually, they certainly have to pay interest on that sum, so it would actually benefit the government if Google took a long time to pay.

2. getHandle

Can't any of these people string a coherent sentence together?

Hardly any of those quotes seem to scan properly to me...

1. 9Rune5

Re: Can't any of these people string a coherent sentence together?

Well... It certainly accounts for the rather cryptic tax laws...

3. Alistair
    Windows

@ getHandle

I suspect that the itnewrebz are attempting to escalate the amount of utter gibberish that can be pushed out to the unwashed hordes as "news" in order to outsource more information reporting to the $3/day slaves. Since the ads aren't selling very well any more, we have to lower costs, and increase our C suite bonuses or Wall Streek will deflate our stock value.

Either that or the axiom I live by is accellerating:

The sum total of intelligence on the planet is a constant.

4. Tim #3

What actually is the point of the public accounts committee? Has anything ever actually changed as a result of their activities, or is it just for a bunch of non-achiever MPs to pretend they are doing something useful? I can't think of a single example ever where their involvement has changed anything and benefited anyone - would be glad to hear of any that other readers know of though...

1. TJ1

Think harder, or read...

"In the 2010-15 Parliament, the Committee held 276 evidence sessions and published 244 unanimous reports which included 1,338 recommendations. As proof of how seriously government takes the Committee's work, 88% of those recommendations were accepted by departments. "

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/public-accounts-committee/history-of-committee/

2. Fink-Nottle

>a bunch of non-achiever MPs

Down on the Farm, it's quite an achievement to get your snout in the trough.

Remember, many actually dislike milk and apples and only suffer them to preserve their health so that they may watch over *your* welfare.

5. Colin Tree

split up Google

Too big to fine, too big to break.

Sounds like the banks who caused the GFC

Corporations avoiding taxes are the cause of government debt all across the world.

Will the internet fall over without Google ?

This is the place where massive corporations get forced to break into smaller separate companies.

Maybe some jail time for the CEO and some high executives,

Grand Larceny on an unprecedented scale.

1. Oneman2Many

Re: split up Google

You do realise that they have just done that themselves recently ?

6. John Lilburne

FFS even your local ...

"Tom Hutchinson, veep at Google, blamed the overly complicated tax system as to why it took so long."

... window cleaner knows how to fill in, or not fill in, his tax return.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like