back to article Alphabet, cough, Google most valuable biz on Earth as it pours billions into 'other bets'

Alphabet, Google's new parent-holding-company-thing, has reported stellar end-of-year results: revenues in the final quarter of 2015 hit $21.3bn, and profit reached $4.9bn. The figures pushed Alphabet's stock price up eight per cent in after-hours trading, making it, for the moment, the most valuable company on the planet by …

1. Snowy Silver badge
    Facepalm

I wonder...

[quote]Cash Google is still sitting on a pile of cash and securities – $73bn for the end of the financial year. $43bn of that is held overseas to avoid paying repatriation taxes.[/quote]

Would there be repatriation taxes to pay if they had paid taxes on them abroad?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder...

If a US company holds cash aboard they pay only whatever foreign taxes are due on it. When they bring it into the US they owe US taxes on it, but foreign taxes previously paid on it are taken as a tax credit against the US taxes due. So the less foreign taxes you pay, the more you will owe in US taxes when you bring it home.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good question; Great answer, DougS

1. Locky

What it does mean though is that Apple will now start their tax "negotioations" with, "Well Google paid £130m, and they're bigger than us...."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Exactly. If you 'negotiate' once you are opening the door for many others to want to negotiate, and risk accusations of unfair treatment.

Let's say Apple and Facebook come along wanting to "negotiate" but the UK says no, or offers a worse deal. In the US, Google spends several times more on lobbying the government and donations to PACs (donations to political parties/candidates) than either Apple or Facebook. Let's say the same was true in the UK.

It sure would look to a lot of people like Google bribed the government for the deal in a quid pro quo by making donations to the right political parties/people, or spending money on lobbying (where politicians go once they retire or get voted out, at least in the US) Even if that's not what really happened, the appearance is enough for the accusation to be reported in the press and believed to be true by political opponents and cynical bastards like me.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I block all their ads, yet they just keep growing.

4. John Robson Silver badge

Really?

"CEO Sundar Pichai said that YouTube viewership among the 19-45 age group now has more viewers than any US cable channel. YouTube viewing in the living room more than doubled in the last year, he said, pushing up revenues."

Would that be because you count people or devices, not households?

How many of that age group are giving you money?

1. ratfox

Re: Really?

How many of that age group are giving you money?

I suspect that's not relevant. What he means is: "plenty of people watch our ads"

The YouTube ads business is tiny compared to the TV ads business, and he's trying to convince people this should change.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Try paying your fair share of taxes you twats. .

...rather than hoarding cash.

Money to the top 1% doesn't flow down into the rest of the economy.

Fuck these pricks.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Try paying your fair share of taxes you twats. .

It's not stuffed into the mattress. It's invested or at least in a bank account. Either way, it's "working", so keeping other businesses in business and employing people who get paid and spend it. It's all just make believe numbers anyway, not real cash (for some value of "real")

6. James 51

Any chance that Go win will be spun out into a game? It's so hard to get a good game of Go. Tried to register on DGS but it keeps rejecting me saying I'm a spam bot :P

7. graeme leggett Silver badge

A worthy quote

That someone should whisper in the execs ear, the same way that a Roman general would (allegedly?) have "Remember you are mortal" whispered in theirs as they rode in triumph

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed"

After all, Microsoft was once at the top of the game (in 1999)

8. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

The alchemists of old tried to turn lead into gold and failed.

9. Roland6 Silver badge

Small, but important omission...

"and profit reached $4.9bn."

This is actually the net income before tax from all business units excluding Other Bets. So taking into consideration the $3.6bn losses of the Other Bets business unit, net profit before tax was only $1.3bn.

10. M man

Fibre FIBRE....phew got that out of my system..pub time

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like