back to article US rapper slams Earth is Round conspiracy in Twitter marathon

A US rapper has embarked on a mammoth tweet fest to correct at least 500 years of misinformation that the world is not flat, slamming amateur and professional astronomers in the process. BoB, also known as Bobby Ray Simmons Jr, has occasionally pontificated on matters astral in the past, but some time on January 24 kicked into …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At time of writing, BoB was citing Genesis

Would this be the biblical one or the musical one?

1. AJ MacLeod

Re: At time of writing, BoB was citing Genesis

I'm not aware of either of them supporting his position anyway...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No me neither. Genesis, in any of it's "phases" didn't seem to say much about the earth being flat or otherwise and I can't remember those who left the band saying anything on the subject in their solo careers.

As for the Bible I can't think of a reference in the book of Genesis. The only reference I, not a bible scholar, can think of is Isaiah 40:22 which refers to the circle or possibly globe of the earth so I think Mr BoB will have to go it alone on this one.........

2. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

I thought Phil Collins might support a flat Earth - just as long as we can live on Both Sides.

But then does that count as Two Worlds? Maybe if they've got The Same Moon and The Silent Sun...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I wonder where he thinks our centre of gravity is if the Earth is flat? - Also, why is the moon clearly a sphere?

1. John G Imrie
            Happy

You don't need a centre of gravity on a flat earth, down is down, and the moon is round because it's a big balloon, that's why it floats in the sky.

Sorry, have to go now, the nurse says it's time for my meds.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"I wonder where he thinks"

I'll stop you there - he clearly doesn't. The man is a doped up halfwit.

1. Ali Um Bongo
              Trollface

Rapper Thick as Pigshit. Shocker.

Hold the front page!

3. Eddy Ito
            Happy

Also, why is the moon clearly a sphere?

To be fair, I don't think he said it wasn't a disk. Besides we all know it's turtles all the way down.

4. starbright

Are you sure it's a sphere... didn't someone else do a song about the b-side of the moon.

5. BlackKnight(markb)
            Joke

clearly its flat and therfore a circle not a sphere. Dont believe the govt man the chem trails are messing with ya mind.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I thought Phil Collins might support a flat Earth

I think Thomas Dolby did....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

B.o.B. = Bunch of Bull

2. BongoJoe
    Facepalm

The Levels of Delusion are strong in this one

He'll be someone who thinks he's a musician too.

1. BoldMan

Re: The Levels of Delusion are strong in this one

In addition, the levels of fuckwittery on display here are astronomical!

2. TitterYeNot
      Coat

"He'll be someone who thinks he's a musician too."

Next he'll be saying something like...oooh, I don't know....imagine something completely ridiculous, you know, absolutely totally fuckwitted, like, erm, he's the greatest living rockstar or something...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Did I get your attention? Buy my 'music' please!"

1. BongoJoe

...which I would have sampled from someone who knows how to play an instrument.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There's a party in my ears.

Everyones been sick...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He'll be someone who thinks he's a musician too.

Ahh yes, Rap music, spelt with an invisible "c".

1. LaeMing

The 'c' stands for Commercial.

5. Turtle

@BongoJoe Re: The Levels of Delusion are strong in this one

"He'll be someone who thinks he's a musician too."

Do rappers consider themselves to be musicians? I'm not sure but they might not, based on a statement, if I correctly recall it, from Public Enemy, "we're not musicians and we don't respect musicians."

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: @BongoJoe The Levels of Delusion are strong in this one

"Do rappers consider themselves to be musicians?"

I've heard some them claim to be poets. I didn't believe that either.

3. Steven Roper

The thing to do with these kooks

is to ignore them completely. Giving them exposure and engaging them in debate merely lends a veneer of legitimacy to their woo.

1. m0rt

Re: The thing to do with these kooks

What a great name for a band: Legitimate Woo

Bagsy.

1. Sgt_Oddball

So that'd be the wife then (it's also left the kids with 6 names.... Yeah they're gonna hate us for that one)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think I will suggest "Creating legitimate woo!" as our corporate slogan. It would be so much more meaningful than the current one!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I like to use then as ammo for arguments with other kooks (I think there was an xkcd comic along those lines). For instance, when the local member of the tinfoil hat brigade was filling us all in on the Russian soldiers that Obama (whups, sorry "Bama" ) had living in the secret tunnels under the Denver airport, you point out that they couldn't possibly do that because the Ebola that Bama genetically engineered to wipe out 80% of the US population would have killed them.

1. Turtle

Why? Re: The thing to do with these kooks

"The thing to do with these kooks... I like to use them as ammo for arguments with other kooks"

Whether flat-earthers or 9-11 Truthers, creationists or "alternative-medicine" enthusiasts, they aren't going to change their minds, and you aren't change their minds for them. So why do you bother?

1. Fungus Bob
          Devil

Re: Why? Re: The thing to do with these kooks

"So why do you bother?"

Everybody needs a hobby. Some people play tennis for fuck's sake!

1. Turtle

@Fungus Bob Re: Why? The thing to do with these kooks

"'[... they aren't going to change their minds, and you aren't change their minds for them.] So why do you bother?' Everybody needs a hobby."

That's a shitty excuse. It's scarcely better than having gone to see Wesley Willis perform, or going to a David Icke lecture. And you end up being... not too different from them.

Find a better way to reinforce your self-esteem.

1. Fungus Bob
              Thumb Up

Re: @Turtle Why? The thing to do with these kooks

"That's a shitty excuse. "

At least he ain't playin' tennis!

3. YARR
      Black Helicopters

Attack the idea, not the person.

He's probably part of the master conspiracy which includes creating false conspiracies to divert attention from the true ones. You're not one of those gullible people who believe there are no conspiracies are you?

1. Steven Roper

"You're not one of those gullible people who believe there are no conspiracies are you?"

Obviously there are conspiracies - the word wouldn't exist without the concept. What do you think PRISM and TIA and Ed Snowden's whistleblowing was all about? Those were real conspiracies.

But like many other things they run the gamut from the real to the ridiculous. There's the proven ones, like the NSA spying regime and the corruption of tax-evading corporate cartels; then there's the unprovable but questionably plausible ones like the CIA being behind Kennedy's assassination and the Bush administration knowing about 9/11 before it happened but doing nothing about it; and finally there's the outright Stan Deyo-level woo, such as the world being secretly ruled by chemtrail-spraying reptoids and NASA covering up evidence of polar holes leading to a hollow-world Agharti.

How far up that tree you want to carry your beliefs is entirely up to you of course, but if you want to retain any degree of credibility I recommend looking up the 7 warning signs of bogus science as a starting point to establish whether a given conspiracy is feasible or not.

1. Jonathan Richards 1
          Thumb Up

+1 for the link to Dr Park's "Seven Signs". My hobby now: posting that link on a metric shedload of kooky YouTube videos :)

More seriously, a proper sociologist could have a field day with conspiracy theorization [1]. Why are such ideas so attractive to certain individuals, and so enduring? It must be something to do with the gloating pleasure that the believer gets from feeling superior to the "sheeple". The very existence of that word is a data point. It would be interesting to know how many people believe in two or more scientifically unrelated conspiracy theories.

[1] Pedant warning: may not be a real word

1. John H Woods Silver badge

"Why are such ideas so attractive to certain individuals" -- Jonathan Richards 1

Best answer I've seen (on FB recently) was that "conspiracy theories help dumb people feel they are smart"

4. Lamont Cranston

there's wind on the moon ?

have u been to the moon ? or is that what your science book told you

1. dotdavid

Re: there's wind on the moon ?

There is no moon. I saw a documentary about a war in space where that was proven.

1. Gazareth

That's no moon.

1. Fungus Bob

Re: That's no moon.

It's Kim Kardashian's ass :0

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

We know that the Moon disappeared, after a vast explosion in 1999. What we now see, is merely a projection, put there in order to reassure us. Done by NASA in conjunction with Roscosmos, ESA and I'm sure that the Lizard-Person himself, Brian Cox, is also involved.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

There used to be, occasionally, albeit some 45 years ago. Depended on the astronaut's rations.

5. wolfetone Silver badge

To Be Honest

Who the hell cares?

1. Turtle

@wolfetone: An Excellent Question Re: To Be Honest

"Who the hell cares?"

That is an excellent question.

Although a few of these comments are genuinely funny, when some of these people see someone with Down's Syndrome, for example, do they then go home and point out to their friends and family how much smarter they are?

1. Kurt Meyer
        Thumb Down

Re: @Turtle:@wolfetone: An Excellent Question To Be Honest

Good job trying to conflate birthers, flat earthers and conspiracy nutters with those suffering from Down's Syndrome.

Have a down vote.

2. Mark 85

Re: To Be Honest

Maybe not about this clown but about all the ones who will listen and agree. We've raised a couple generations of ignorant people and it's paying off. Just look at the crowd running for president and who they're actually playing to.

6. hi_robb

Hmm

For someone who thinks the earth is flat, this guy sure gets around....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PR stunt

You've been PRaped

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> A US rapper has embarked on a mammoth tweet fest to correct at least 500 years of misinformation that the world is not flat.

"Come again?!" - Eratosthenes

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

AC, thanks for pointing this out. (I forgot the guy's name, but could not be asked to dig it up.)

2. arctic_haze

Not only Eratosthenes but also Aristotle himself, who noticed that the round shadow of the Earth on the Moon during lunar eclipses, regardless of how low over the horizon the Moon was, could only be explained with a spherical shape of our home.

And Aristotle was a founding stone of the medieval Church teaching. So it seems medieval monks were more advanced in science then millennial generation rappers.

1. Fungus Bob

Setting the bar rather low, arctic_haze. The floor is higher...

2. Jonathan Richards 1
        Go

re Eratosthenes

Yup. Aristotle (d. 322 BCE) deduced that the Earth was round, and Eratosthenes came up with a pretty good value for the circumference of the Earth, and he died in 194 BCE.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Joke

Re: re Eratosthenes

"Yup. Aristotle (d. 322 BCE) deduced that the Earth was round, and Eratosthenes came up with a pretty good value for the circumference of the Earth, and he died in 194 BCE."

Yeahbut! A disc is round and has a circumference too! I call bullshit!

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: re Eratosthenes

Aristotle (d. 322 BCE) deduced that the Earth was round

He also believed that whales and dolphins weren't fish, and that the northern cryosphere was replicated at the south pole. And he correctly described the sexual habits of sea urchins, a fact not appreciated until the 19th C.

9. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

BoB

Really, the world is flat? BoB must really believe in optical illusions! Just tell him " that's you get better gas milage driving south...."

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wonder if he knows David Ike?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

wonder if he knows David Ike?

It's Icke - pronounced "icky"

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: wonder if he knows David Ike?

I thought it was spelt like this

twat

3. MonsieurInconnu

Re: wonder if he knows David Ike?

Now there's a trip down memory lane. Where's my turquoise shell suit so I may pay homage to our lizard overlords?

However, it does explain why I feel slightly unsettled and nauseous whenever I see Cameron or Osborne on TV.

11. Gordon Pryra

No one notice the light beam in his picture?

Did no one notice the light beam in his picture? Its not straight.

The beam of light is obviously heavier at the end so curves down.

Test this at home with a really long bit of bamboo.

1. Havin_it

Re: No one notice the light beam in his picture?

Well, I was just gonna torment the cat with it, but this wins hands down.

I'll let you know how it went tomorrow since I won't be in intensive care. :)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

THIS is the type of education.....

produced by leftists, liberals and fundamentalist progressives and their ilk.

In Orwellian fashion, they also think one plus one equals three.

Even a modern day Christian knows the earth is not flat or only 6,000 years old. The only ones who think that kind of idiocy are the hell fire and brimstone types like the Westborough Baptist Church.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: THIS is the type of education.....

We all know 1+1=10

Don't know about westborough but I have met senior IT people who think carbon dating is bunkum and dinosaurs are a conspiracy since the Bible doesn't mention them and isn't compatible with how long ago they existed.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. smartypants

Many 'modern day christians' believe a god sent himself (but also his 'son') to earth to "save" us from going to a place he made (hell), which we do if we follow our natural human instincts, apparently. Only it didn't work because 2000 years later we're still mostly bound for hell, or so I'm told,and apparently this saddens said god.

Compared with that, it's easy to be forgiving about underestimating the age of the universe.

4. Bernard M. Orwell

"fundamentalist progressives"

isn't that a contradiction in terms?

5. Disko
      Megaphone

Big Brother

...ain't no stinkin' liberal, also the whole notion of education is decidedly progressive. LERN YOU"RE THINKS or are you secretly a SHEEPITALIST LAMINATOR!

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shouldn't this be over on Faux News. Do you do nothing but haunt the Internet and get the 'it's all the fault of the leftist, liberal, fundamentalist progressives' meme into the discussion, regardless of the original matter under discussion.

7. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Because "Leftists, liberals and fundamentalist progressives"

have been conspiring to destroy the US public education system since forever.

13. Robert Ramsay

So this is where we are...

To get publicity for your career, you have to look like an enormous dickhead on purpose instead of by accident, as is usual.

1. Darryl

Re: So this is where we are...

Worked for Kanye West

1. Mark 85

And Kanye is talking about running for president at some point... maybe this guy figures he can get the Texas vote and be VP?

2. Alister

To get publicity for your career, you have to look like an enormous dickhead on purpose instead of by accident, as is usual.

Well it appears to be a tactic Mr Trump is following.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"To get publicity for your career, you have to look like an enormous dickhead on purpose"

He's a rapper. Thats in the job description.

14. Pen-y-gors

Who gives a flying fig...

what some brain-dead moron believes? Just ignore the prat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who gives a flying fig...

I tried that but then he got elected Prime Minister.... oh, sorry you meant Bob.... I'll go back under my rock.........

15. Jagged

I don't think we should be taking the piss, he is probably about to have a mental collapse and needs help (much like David Icke).

Or else its just a PR Stunt (rhyming slang).

1. Simon Westerby 1

A Cunning Stunt no less....

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Joke

"A Cunning Stunt no less...."

As in "What's the difference between Evel Knievel and an all-girl track team" ?

16. Efros

Refrain from feeding the 'neath bridge dwellers

if you do they keep puking the same stuff back up.

1. No! The red button Igor ...
      Stop

Re: Refrain from feeding the 'neath bridge dwellers

Bridge substructure symbionts exist thanks only to.the nourishment provided by repetion and endless discussion* of their mindless drivel ... feeding them should be made a flogging offence (at the very least!).

*Oops! I guess I'm next in line for a flogging now!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But it is flat otherwise why do pilots not have to constantly fly down so as not to end up in space?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Space ???

There's no such thing as space you credulous halfwit. You think there is a vacuum just a few hundred miles above you ? Why isn't there a big whooshing noise as all the air gets sucked away - because there's no such thing as space of course !

1. Synonymous Howard

Re: Space ???

Yes there is space, it can be found as a void between a significant number of people's ears.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Void ???

Conan Doyle gives Sherlock Holmes a nice line. “I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things, so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it. Now the skillful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order."

But however you stock your mind, don't forget to include humour.

p.s. As for the original joke, doesn't a plane's inertial guidance system need to include precisely the constant downward correction mentioned in order to fly at constant altitude.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, and how came Australians doesn't fall off this "round Earth" of yours?

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Yeah, and how came Australians doesn't fall off this "round Earth" of yours?

Because like Merkins and Brits we fall down when we are pissed, not off!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This might answer your question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G91IU8cFJ7o

4. Michael Thibault
        Joke

If earth is flat (round, square, oval, irregular, doesn't matter--just "flat"), I want to know exactly how thick it is! Because if it is flat, it can't be infinitely thick, or the gravity would be infinite, and we'd all be infinitely much shorter. All we have to do is find an edge and climb past it. This could be great if you're into real estate. And if, in fact, the earth has a finite thickness, and there's also a vacuum above us, then there has to be one below, too. That's nervous-making, IMO, so I don't like the idea of a vacuum. But if there isn't a vacuum, we should be able to just fly to the moon in jets (if there's a moon, which I believe is the case), but we don't, we use rockets--but maybe that's just to get to the space station, which has to exist, so there's Elon Musk. And I want to know what he's up to, and whether he's part of the conspiracies, or is creating his own. And another thing...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How much money does this guy have?

I want to know whether to call him an eccentric or a nut case.

1. Havin_it

Re: How much money does this guy have?

I'd go with "a lot", definitely enough to qualify for "eccentric" but probably a billion or 2 shy of "outspoken".

2. waldo kitty
      Holmes

Re: How much money does this guy have?

I want to know whether to call him an eccentric or a nut case.

"an eccentric nut case" fits the bill precisely...

19. RIBrsiq
    Trollface

So, answer this question, please:

* What else could he possibly have done to get mentioned everywhere; even on totally unrelated sites such as here? Something that wouldn't involve years in jail, preferably?

Seems like a particularly successful PR campaign, to me...

20. Steve Evans

He's showing all the signs of a successful presidential candidate...

A late running for the nomination?

21. Nigel Brown

Bbbbbbob-uh

Anyone else hearing his name pronounced by Rowan Atkinson?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Well now

I'm seeing his name pronounced by Rowan Atkinson.

22. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Hmm

US rapper fails to understand science. News at 10(*).

(*) I'm in the UK.

23. Archie Woodnuts
    Headmaster

Technically

the Earth isn't round, it's an oblate spheroid.

That said, he does appear to be a loon.

24. GBE

And he's _not_ from Florida?

I would've bet good money he would be from Florida. But a quick glance at Wikipedia says I'd have lost. He's from Georgia. Near miss.

25. kmac499

I know what he's doing..

He's polishing his electoral credentials as an opponent to Donald J Trump (DJ Trump what a stage name).

1. Archie Woodnuts

Re: I know what he's doing..

I can see the reviews now "DJ Trump drops heavy flow".

26. Wupspups
    Facepalm

Smack head me thinks.

27. bluefin333
    Coat

It is flat...

I can see a turtle's arse from my bedroom window.

1. roytrubshaw
      Pint

Re: It is flat...

I can see a turtle's arse from my bedroom window.

And before anyone asks; in the immortal words of the little old lady:

"It's turtles all the way down!"

1. Christoph

The Turtle Moves!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: I can see a turtle's arse from my bedroom window.

Ah, the fabled arch-colon.

3. MrDamage Silver badge

> I can see a turtle's arse from my bedroom window.

Then for your sake, I hope out turtle is the male when it comes time for "The Big Bang". (Turtle Mating Season)

28. Sean Timarco Baggaley

"...to correct at least 500 years of misinformation that the world is not flat."

I note the qualifier, but...

That the earth was round has been known for millennia, and most likely goes way back into prehistory. No successful seafaring people could have believed the world was flat: seeing other ships approaching over the horizon trivially proved that wasn't the case.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: "...to correct at least 500 years of misinformation that the world is not flat."

According to Wikipedia, Pythagoras thought the Earth was round around 500BC, with the rest of the Greeks coming around to the idea in around 200BC.

29. John Lilburne

Issac Asimov delt with this ...

In the relativity of wrong.

[

The curvature of such a sphere is about 0.000126 per mile, a quantity very close to 0 per mile, as you can see, and one not easily measured by the techniques at the disposal of the ancients. The tiny difference between 0 and 0.000126 accounts for the fact that it took so long to pass from the flat earth to the spherical earth.

http://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/relativityofwrong.htm

]

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Happy

Re: Issac Asimov delt with this ...

B.o.B won't accept math or science, he's already demonstrated that.

edit: I see the turtles have already been covered.

So...let's go with Python:

"He's a WITCH! BURN him!"

2. Adair Silver badge

John I think you'll find that Sean's take is closer to the truth.

People throughout the millennia who have stopped to actually observe and think about what they have observed have deduced that the world is spherical---it ain't rocket science. The ancient Greek philosophers worked it out, and no doubt others did before them. Asimov was very late to that party. At the same time, throughout the ages, people who haven't bothered to observe carefully, or think carefully about what they have observed, have chosen to trust whatever view captured their imagination, a popular one being the idea that the world is flat.

Without wanting to be unkind or cynical this only goes to prove the very mean spirited, but pragmatic, saying: nobody ever went broke under-estimating the gullibility of the buying public.

3. Chemist

"one not easily measured by the techniques at the disposal of the ancients."

They almost certainly noticed that ships disappeared over the horizon hull first and reappeared mast first. The Greeks esp. would have noticed that as you climb up a mountain tips of other islands appear and as you climb higher you see more of them . All of these are powerful clues to the inquiring mind.

1. Mark 85

Were they sinking?

Nah.. it's the FM* belief that many of his ilk have.

*Freakin' Magic

4. Turtle

@John Lilburne Re: Issac Asimov delt with this ...

Mainmonides (1135-1204) pointed out the the spherical shape of the earth is deducible from the curvature of the horizon. He was not necessarily the first to make this deduction.

"Beginning in the Nineteenth Century, a historical myth arose which held that the predominant cosmological doctrine during the Middle Ages was that the Earth was flat." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth generally.

1. Uffish

Re: curvature of the horizon

Have you ever seen the curvature of the horizon? I never have been able to convince myself that I had, and ever since the arrival of the fish-eye lens I have seriously doubted the validity of such observations.

Ships coming and going over the horizon is easy to observe.

1. illiad

Re: curvature of the horizon

get to the top of a tall building like the Shard (300 Metres) and you can see the curvature on a clear day...

If you don't believe all those videos that were taken from the international space station...

more incredibly stoopid peeps here..

https://youtu.be/l-7tPfVvo_0

5. Jonathan Richards 1

Re: the techniques at the disposal of the ancients

But of course Eratosthenes (276-194 BCE) did measure the Earth's circumference, and did come up with a very respectably accurate figure. He did this by noting the angular discrepancy between the sun angles at two points separated by a large known distance. Not for nothing is this man known as the originator of geography.

Ref: Eratosthenes' method for determining the size of the Earth [wikipedia.org]

6. Pompous Git Silver badge

The curvature of such a sphere is about 0.000126 per mile, a quantity very close to 0 per mile, as you can see, and one not easily measured by the techniques at the disposal of the ancients.

Eratosthenes measured the diameter of the Earth ca. 240 BC. If you assume he used the Attic stadium (185 m) as his unit of measure, then he was off by ~16%. However, Eratosthenes was living in Egypt and used the distance between two Egyptian cities at solstice for his calculation. The Egyptian stadium (157.5 m) produces a value of 39,375 kilometres, less than 2% off the modern value of 40,041 km.

Christopher Columbus believed that the Earth was ~20,000 km in diameter. He got lucky and the Americas saved his bacon just as he was running out of provisions.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe its both round and flat

i.e. Discworld...

Now where are the turtle riding elephants eh?

Why are sea levels rising? Are we now talking a negative curved earth, convex even and its filling up like goldfish bowl rather than the excess ocean running over the edge?

Basic local geometry also allows for spheres. Are spheres also not round? I think we have a round vs flat confusion theory going on in parallel.

Yikes - social media is, I am sure, making people more dumb...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe its both round and flat

Maybe the characters in Peppa Pig have always been perfectly drawn after all...especially when they turn around - and they never face you...

2. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Paris Hilton

"Yikes - social media is, I am sure, making people more dumb..."

Dumber?

3. mstreet
      Angel

Re: Yikes - social media is, I am sure, making people more dumb...

Which should not be surprising considering the root word of Twitter.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

31. CPU

Someone put the sharp things away, he may hurt himself.

1. Mark 85

You got that backwards... hand him lots of sharp objects and let Darwin win.

32. VeganVegan
    Trollface

I knew global warming was fishy

There is no globe to warm, it's a disk!

1. Chris G

Re: I knew global warming was fishy

"There is no globe to warm, it's a disk!"

So we could be suffering from Anthropomorphic Disco Warming?

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If only there was some kind of hero...

Brian May?

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Because he's looking for an audience...

... I'd instead reply with a thread asking if rap could actually be called "music"...

35. sisk

No one's this stupid. He's just trolling.

(Please don't burst my bubble....let him be just trolling...)

36. adnim
    Facepalm

"Personally, we think Bob is showing worrying signs of being unstoppable here."

Only if you give this attention seeking dickwad column inches.

I don't know what he is smoking. The drugs I took as a youngster distorted my perception of reality in so many ways as to make me question just about everything. However, perhaps I am lucky in that they never replaced my perceptions with bullshit... Or did they? After years of abstinence, I really need a spliff icon now.

37. BurnT'offering

The earth is flat.

I know. I've been to the edge. I looked down. I saw ... Basildon.

The horror

38. Camilla Smythe

He is in fact almost right.....

In as much as Terry Pratchett was almost right as well.

We do in fact live on a 'Disc World' which is circular with two flat sides and a zero length edge. It spins through space about its centre but follows a Two Dimensional trajectory as do all the other observable apparently spherical things floating about out there which are also circular with two flat sides and zero length edge.

In fact we live on a Two Dimensional World in a Two Dimensional Universe.

What we perceive as being three dimensional is in fact the result of space, time, dimensional and gravitational distortion that results from the nature of the matter our Two Dimensional existence is made from.

The Three Dimensions are in fact an 'illusion' which only exist because it appears to be the best explanation we can come up with which fits in with what we think we 'see' and 'experience'.

However what we 'see' and 'experience', and indeed can measure and interpret, is distorted by the nature of the thing we exist in interfering with that measurement and ultimately our interpretation of it as limited by our ability to perceive the possibility of a different conceptual reality.

We have become 'intellectually' comfortable with our apparent Three Dimensional existence even though it is Two Dimensional and yet we posit the possibility of Zero, Single, Two and Multidimensional existences.

However who is to say we are not living in a Zero, Two, Three or Multidimensional existence but limited by our 'experience' as imposed by its action upon us and our 'intellect' to perceive or understand and conclude that it 'must' be Three Dimensional?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Joke

Re: He is in fact almost right.....

If we only live in two dimensions, how come I get fat when I drink too many pints? (Or fall down for that matter)

1. Camilla Smythe

If we only live in two dimensions, how come I get fat when I drink too many pints? (Or fall down for that matter)

That's just your 'perception'.

In your Two Dimensional world being 'fat', at certain locations of your body, can be constrained to a 'perception' of the X/Y dimensions of it as imposed by the nature of the Two Dimensional world you live in and the way you sense and interpret it.

As to 'Falling Over'...

Consider that 'Standing Up' minimises the X/Y locations as you sense and interpret them within that Two Dimensional world. You are still allowed to be 'fat'. Standing up just reduces your X/Y profile.

Rather than using 'Falling Over' consider going to bed. You expand yourself in one dimension and contract in the other having orientated yourself first but perceive that you are lying down. It's a gentle and controlled process and you are still allowed to be 'fat'.

My gut also looks better when I think I am lying down.

Of course if you choose to get wrecked and then 'fall over' the process is less likely to be gentle or controlled but you will not know much about it until the next morning whereby, if you did manage to do some damage to your Two Dimensional body as a result of the rate of imposed dimensional changes either exceeding its design limitations or hitting another Two Dimensional object as you changed your Two Dimensional shape you could experience a bit of pain along with the headache.

1. Camilla Smythe

Hmm Two Thumbs Down.

"Copernicus was a Cunt."

"No, he's a Witch!"

"How do we prove it?

"Drown Him!!!!!!!"

"What if he floats?"

"Witch!!!!"

"Burn Him if He Floats!!!!!1"

"He'll be wet!?1"

"Copses are made of wood!"

"What!1?"

"Transliteration Mate. Copernicus = Copse."

"He is made of Wood. Witch!! Burn Him!!! Burn Him Now!!11"

Just to expand on 'standing up'... That's going to take you a bit of energy to move yourself away from the other items in your Two Dimensional world assuming there is an attraction between the bits involved.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Flatland?

1. Pedigree-Pete

allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

. Thanks for the pointer. Googled it and just finished this little 114 page jem.

3. Pedigree-Pete
      Pint

Whilst we're talking dimensions, has anyone else stumbled upon a short si-fy-ish story about a one dimensional "dot" who visited a 2 dimensional world where he met a line and they both travelled to a 3 dimensional world and, I forget what happened next....

Aaaah! I think I've found it thanks to later commentards. Have a pint.

39. Peter X

Trumps America

Once Donald Trump is president, this will be normal everyday life.

1. sisk

Re: Trumps America

Ye gods man! Don't even pretend that lunatic has a chance of winning the election. Do you want to give us all nightmares? It's bad enough that he has a chance of winning the nomination.

1. Efros

Re: Trumps America

It's looking like a bit more than a chance at the moment. When Glenn Beck is questioning your suitability for the job then perhaps you're just a bit too loony.

40. IsJustabloke
    Megaphone

Amusingly...

There may have been the odd person but there never was a widely held belief that the earth was flat.

41. 404

All of you are fuckered...

Ya'll didn't exist before I became aware of you and will all disappear when I move on to the next plane of consciousness.

Sorry.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: All of you are fuckered...

I'm guessing you're a phonographic needle... ;-/ Bartender, one more please

1. 404

Re: All of you are fuckered...

I'm sorry, Chivo, but your answer must be in the form of a question - I'll remember you though, keep the faith!

;)

42. Yugguy

No real mates

The problem with all of these people is that they surround themselves with those who only agree with them. This is why they go mental - they don't have any real friends who would say "no, that's bollocks."

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: No real mates

So, they are management?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: No real mates

No, sad, sad idiots. Easy to confuse, though.

43. ganymede io device

Thomas Dolby, The Flat Earth

"please remember...

the Earth can be any shape you want it

any shape at all

dark and cold or bright and warm

long or thin or small

but it's home and all I ever had

and maybe why for me the Earth is flat."

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

+1 for the Thomas Dolby reference. By coincidence, I'd just queued the album up a few moments before I got to the page with your comment on it.

44. An(other) Droid
    Devil

Where did he have his last stage performance? Colorado?

45. illiad

someone put him in a balloon and and SHOW him!!

46. Charlie van Becelaere
    Boffin

Impossible!!!

Clearly the Earth isn't flat. We all know that it's hollow with openings at the poles. Admiral Byrd was inside - it's an historical fact!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Impossible!!!

No, it was Hitler and he believed were were on the INSIDE. Or something. I once read it in a spiritual magazine, so it must be TRUE.

2. Mark 85

Re: Impossible!!!

It's fact only because Jules Verne said so... Byrd just followed his instructions.

47. Kumar2012
    Trollface

BoB's having the last laugh...

basically some guy who no one knew even existed, is suddenly known to a whole bunch of people, this is just a huge marketing scheme... troll face because that must be BoB right now.

48. Bibbit

Distraught

This has completely destroyed my faith in the scientific knowledge of rappers.

1. Diamandi Lucas

Re: Distraught

"This has completely destroyed my faith in the scientific knowledge of rappers."

Some of them are quite knowledgeable, just look at Dr Dre or Professor Green

49. Sgt_Oddball

hurumph!

Moronic poppycock! World is flat indeed... Such ignorance.

Everybody knows the earths round and hollow. Where else do the Vencians hide out if it wasn't eh?

50. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It should really make you wonder about people's reasoning skills

...when you see comments like Bob's. He is probably a lifetime member of the Flat Earth society. I have yet to have any of these people show me where the edge of the earth is so I can look over the side to see the rest of the universe and where their car must have fallen.

51. Captain DaFt

In situations like this...

I'm reminded of the words of that great philosopher, Sandy Cheeks:

"Stupidity ain't a virus, but it sure spreads like one."

52. lambda_beta

Who is the fuck is BoB?

Is this the lost MS interface??

1. LaeMing
      Facepalm

Re: Who is the fuck is BoB?

And suddenly it all makes a strange kind of sense!

53. disgruntled yank

Ah, but

Will his song be up to the music-hall standards of "The Village that Voted the World Was Flat" in Kipling's story of the same name?

54. Turbo Beholder
    Alert

Better late than never!

I think it's about time someone raised this important issue! Someone must Do Something™ - and who if not the Americans? Here's a preliminary plan:

Have some censorship expert make an expensive revolutionary movie exposing this sinister conspiracy. Start giving out diplomas on geomorphology. Maybe a conference somewhere on Hawaii, make the less scientifically advanced countries limit sea travel and contribute to the fund for protecting The Edge from crumbling.

That sort of thing.

55. Potemkine Silver badge

What a progress

Thanks to social media it is now possible to immediately show to the entire World how moronic you are.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon