back to article Nude tribute to Manet's Olympia ends in cuffing

A Luxembourg performance artist earned herself a cuffing over the weekend after she stripped off in front of Edouard Manet's Olympia at Paris's Musée d'Orsay. Deborah de Robertis treated art lovers visiting Splendour and Misery: Images of Prostitution 1850-1910 to a recreation of the celebrated work's reclining nude. The …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Security guards responded well, they closed the room and asked her to get dressed.

it should have been: "Security guards responded well, they closed the room and burnt the offending image."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Security guards responded well, they closed the room and asked her to get dressed.

oh dear, sarcasm didn't go down well, did it?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

La difference

In the UK we have illegal pictures of legal acts.

In France they have legal pictures of illegal acts.

Neither of us have Liberte/Liberty anymore.

3. Christoph

She's only in it for the Manet

1. Efros

Count de Manet?

Careful spelling there.

1. Mark 85

So which one of you two posters is Mel Brooks?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Le Déjeuner sur l’herbe

>That too is part of the Musée d'Orsay's collection, so De Robertis has a suitable subject for a third cuffing, should she so wish

So what you are saying is that she should follow the manet.

3. Kane
      Coat

"She's only in it for the Manet"

It's all about the Manet, Manet, Manet...

I'll just grab my coat...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Er, the bigger picture

(no apologies for the pun Les Francais amour des jeux de mots) is the linked story says a French court has decided *it* is the arbiter of taste.

5. frank ly

Oh, the irony

"While the museum is demanding charges of indecent exposure, ..."

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Oh, the irony

So anyone else wanting strip off there has to pay?

That sucks.

6. Simon Harris

Ooooh, Mrs Slocombe...

Article 15, paragraph 15 of their regulations states that only guide dogs and assistance dogs are allowed in the Musée.

She was probably all right stripping off to emulate the painting, but went too far when she got out her pussy*.

* the one at the right hand side of the picture, of course!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Ooooh, Mrs Slocombe...

> Article 15, paragraph 15 of their regulations states that only guide dogs and assistance dogs are allowed in the Musée.

So no humans allowed then?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My other painting is a single entendre

That linked article about "Le Déjeuner sur l’herbe" quite disgracefully didn't have the word "euphemism" anywhere, I thought artists and arty people were supposed to be able to spot that sort of thing.

8. Captain TickTock
    Joke

Earned herself a cuffing.

Was she similarly collared?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Earned herself a cuffing.

>Was she similarly collared?

And was fur involved?

9. Warm Braw

Les Toits de Paris...

... suddenly take on a whole new dimension.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Les Toits de Paris...

Where's the icon for dodgy puns? Normally I'd want to put you on the naughty step for the but in this case…

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unsure about this one

I have no objection to nudity, if that's what people want to do. But rather often nowadays "performance artist" = "young woman who gets her kit off in public". I want fame, I haven't actually got anything very original to say, let's go somewhere where tourists collect and undress.

The museum, however, does seem to be run by hypocrites. Or perhaps they have very strict rules, and you're only allowed to call it performance art after she has had her attrributes carefully inspected by a group of Académiciens and been certified as being of suitable artistic merit. And, as it's a museum, then being safely dead.

1. Grikath

Re: Unsure about this one

Given that the "artist" could have gotten permission to make and film her "artistic statement" outside of public hours, at the convenience of the museum and herself, the way she chose to act in this matter indicates, at least to me, a significant amount of deliberate attention whoring.

The latter may be part of "the Arts", but tends generally to not involve dropping ones' undies in front of the Public. Even in France..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Given that the "artist" could have gotten permission to make and film her "artistic statement" outside of public hours"

Ah, but in performance art the audience reaction is part of the performance.

I hope for her sake she's got them (and the guards) to sign model releases, otherwise if she makes any money out of this there could be a copyright case.

Madame, I am not a museum guard, I am a performance artist playing a museum guard. My performance is copyright.

...though now I recollect I've been beaten to it by the New Yorker cartoon in which the lady of negotiable affection tells the policeman "I'm a performance artist - I just set up random sexual encounters with strangers".

1. Grikath

"Ah, but in performance art the audience reaction is part of the performance."

Yes. For which you have two options: you do it in "the public space" , in other words: outside. Or people , for whatever reason, pay to enter a non-public area to witness the spectacle.

In this case the (ahem..) "artiste" "performed" unwarranted in a non-public space, to whit, a museum which charges admission for its own purposes of education and entertainment. What she did amounts to Hijacking the Stage, which tends to be frowned upon by organisors and public alike, regardless of any merit of the "performance".

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

"Performance Art" =~ Ultimate form of attention seeking disorder combined with exhibitionism.

The worst thing is to provide her with more attention, it will just reinforce her condition. What she needs is help. Psychiatric help.

1. x 7

"What she needs is help. Psychiatric help."

or a boyfriend with a big penis

1. Grikath

and a lawnmower...

11. Francis Boyle Silver badge

An oppurtunity

If she's going to 'do' Déjeuner sur l’herbe she's going to need some male assistant and they woon't even need to get their kit off. I wonder if there's a sign up list.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if there's a sign up list.

Hey! You! Sexist old dinosaur! Get behind me in this queue.

13. Captain DaFt

Alternate headline?

Gallery Guards Chuffed As Buff Muff Cuffed

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Alternate headline?

Ahh, old Reg, how I miss you.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Links

Hey, how did she get a farce book account?

I thought they'd outlawed anyone who even owned a pair of breasts let alone someone who wants to post a picture of her pussy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Links

What no more cute catz? I'm leaving FB now.

15. bill 27

Well.

Oddly enough I'd planned on going there in the fall. Not to see her of course, but I understand they have some works by Van Gogh. All I say is l'art pour l'art.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well.

Van Gogh has one of the crappiest websites on the Internets. The UI hurts the brain; perhaps it makes you feel like he did.

Goya, on the other hand...

The original of Olympia is Goya's La Maya Desnuda - perhaps this young lady will try the same thing in Madrid and we can compare the relative enlightenment of the Spanish and French capitals.

16. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

You've Been Framed

So when's the video of the event going to appear then?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: You've Been Framed

Unfortunately, unless any of the "audience" filmed it, never. The "performer" was wearing her camera to film the audience reaction, not the performance itself.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I followed the link for that L'Origine du monde and all I got was a picture of David Cameron. What gives?

1. Teiwaz
      Meh

"I followed the link for that L'Origine du monde and all I got was a picture of David Cameron. What gives?"

Sure you're not in the trial group for some new tory/mumsnet censorship compaign?

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: all I got was a picture of David Cameron.

"You've Been Hacked"

(Sorry, but for that you're more likely to have to pay £250 than to receive it)

18. x 7

Every time I see that painting it looks crappier and crappier.

other than the fact it shows a nude (and I understand the model was a famous prossy) its really got nothing going for it. Artistically its poor. Theres more realism and quality in an episode from "The Beano" than there is in that painting. Look at the black cat - looks more like an evil mutant witches pussy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Every time I see that painting it looks crappier and crappier.

@x 7- I'm not being rude or superior, I hope, but do you mean the original or a reproduction? The original is rather impressive. (It is also not far short of two metres long and nearly lifesize.)

"Artistically its poor. Theres more realism and quality"

Well, that may be the problem if you equate art with realism. We have cameras for that. Manet is going for a kind of realism all right, but it isn't photographic realism - it is social realism. There is a lot to interpret and understand in the picture, and I won't attempt to gloss it because there are plenty of sources on line.

Reproducing familiar things with oil paint (which is not good at fine detail) is a great skill, like those cartoonists who can summon up a scene with just a few lines.

"and I understand the model was a famous prossy"

You understand wrong. She was both an artist's model and a successful painter in her own right.

" looks more like an evil mutant witches pussy"

I think Manet would have been quite flattered by that comment. If you understand the ancestors of the picture - Titian's Venus of Urbino and Goya's La Maya Desnuda for just two - you will see that the cat is part of the symbolism.

19. Indolent Wretch

Anyone else here suspicious her surname is essentially "de robe"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Indolent Wretch

"Anyone else here suspicious her surname is essentially "de robe""

The French verb se dérober does not mean what you seem to think.

20. ratfox
    Paris Hilton

How could those pictures be controversial in the 19th century, considering renaissance artists had been drawing nudes way before that?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How could those pictures be controversial in the 19th century?

Well, Goya's La Maya Desnuda got him the attention of the Spanish Inquisition.

Titian's Venus was an idealised nude goddess; generally speaking there isn't an erotic charge in earlier nudes. Cranach's Eve is just a woman with no clothes on. La Maya Desnuda was partly shocking because there are two paintings - one with her clothes on and the other with them off, which emphasises that this is a real woman and one who might, as it were, get undressed and await a visitor.

Olympia faces its audience with a truth many of them did not want to think about - Olympia is a prostitute waiting for a client. What's more, she is not submissive; there's no sign of a pimp. Her gaze is quite confrontational; what do you think you're looking at? The viewer has obviously just entered the room because she has turned away from the servant showing her the flowers, has put her hand on her groin, and the cat is standing up and also looking at the visitor. Perhaps the client has arrived early.

In the mid-19th century people knew such things existed but didn't want them publicised - especially as many of the men who would see the painting probably wouldn't relish enquiries from their wives as to whether they had ever visited prostitutes. Unerotic nudes in a classical antiquity that never existed were OK, being confronted with an independent minded naughty lady in a contemporary setting was a bit much.

The French establishment of those days, however, recognised genuine originality and I believe the picture was purchased for the nation during the 1890s.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dejuner sur l'herbe

Anyone recall Bow Wow Wow, and Annabelle L'Win ?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Dejuner sur l'herbe

Yes indeed.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Wasn't she quite young then. Bow wow wow image might be illegal these days (lots of old tabloid "page 3" pics now illegal as although at the time 16 yo models were OK, these days must be min 18 for legality)

2. x 7

Bow Wow Wow?

I thought they were called Woof Woof Woof

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon