back to article Yahoo dumps 13.5TB of users' news interaction data for machine eating

Yahoo! has publicly dumped a sample dataset for machine learning enthusiasts based on "anonymised" user interactions with the news feeds of several of its properties, ostensibly extending the research bridge between industry and academia. The dataset contains ~110bn lines, coming in at 1.5TB bzipped, which decompresses to a …

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Headmaster

Note to the editor

Sometimes an article requires several exclamation marks.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: Note to the editor

It's presumably part of the new look round these parts. To be honest though I'm kinda glad they've killed that particular one, it irked me for some inexplicable reason.

1. VinceH

"it irked me for some inexplicable reason"

Probably because it made things harder to read.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No number of exclamation marks will be enough.

All you need is one more data set - f.e. from a service provider, telco or a suitable 3rd party site and you have the anonymity cracked for some of the users. From there on it is merely a problem of finding the other data set.

Anonymous my a***

2. Mr Dogshit
    WTF?

Yahoo's got 20 million users?

1. ratfox

The Yahoo finance website is excellent; I believe it is far more popular than the Google one.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Web bug blockers make it appear that a web site is getting a constant stream of new users. The last time I checked, an ad and tracking blocker was needed to make Yahoo News load without getting hijacked by third party scripts.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

A little something from 10 years ago...

A Face Is Exposed for AOL Searcher No. 4417749.

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Yes, I was remembering that too.

I was also wondering what Yahoo mean by the city the user is in. Might that include a tiny hamlet of three house and a church?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like