back to article Turkish carder scores record 332-year jail term

A 26 year-old Turkish carder has received a record 332-year prison sentence for defrauding 54 customers. Onur Kopçak was charged after he stole and resold customer credit cards to other criminals. Turkish media report the man received a 135-year sentence for stealing 11 credit cards handed down by the Mersin third Criminal …

1. ratfox
    Devil

It sure is good to know that seeing such sentences are handed, people will stop hacking and become honest citizens! I mean, once your crimes are already good a hundred years in jail, anybody would immediately stop doing illegal acts, in order to avoid risking further prison sentences!

1. Mike Shepherd

Nice theory

Nice theory, contradicted by thousands of years of reality.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Nice theory

ratfox was being sarcastic, Mike.

2. Colin Miller

Made-Off

This makes Bernie's Madoff's 150 year sentence for running the largest Ponzi schemes look positively lenient.

3. Mark 85

Given the choice between 6 months in a Turkish prison or 6 years a Gitmo... I'd be asking for Cuba. Maybe it's the so-called "deterrent effect" which only works on those who think they might get caught? Since most crims never think they'll be caught.. there is no deterrent.

I've got a couple of friends that have been victims of ID theft and credit card 'games'..... they went through hell sorting the mess out. They might see things differently... like hanging is too good for the cirms.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"and seven months"

Nice to see courts giving such attention to detail.

5. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

And I bet he'll be out in 166 years. Bloody liberals.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Spending the rest of your life in a Turkish prison: a fate worse than death?

7. Tom 7

Why is it only very primitive countries

have these ridiculous sentences. Its like watching a four year old meting out justice.

1. Queasy Rider

Re: Why is it only very primitive countries

"Justice." ????

2. Mike Shepherd

Re: Why is it only very primitive countries

Yes, but the United States....oh...maybe you're right.

8. nevstah

will they keep him on life support/stasis so he can see it through??

9. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Doing serious porridge...

He'll be watching Captain Kirk's five year mission live from his prison cell. Well, the pile of bones in the corner will be.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Turkish carder defrauding 54 customers ..

I thought he defrauded the bank using stolen Credit Card numbers. Who was it that thought it would be a good idea to use CC for online financial transactions. A solution to such online fraud is totally banning the use of Credit Card for Internet transactions.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He is now officially

The only man on earth with enough guaranteed time to read a EULA...assuming he outlives his sentence.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like