back to article Apple CEO Tim Cook was paid more than $28,000 a day in 2015

Apple CEO and Paul O’Grady lookalike Tim Cook's package swelled to more than $10m in 2015 – but he still can’t take family members on work trips unless he coughs up himself. According to an SEC filing, the company “significantly exceeded the maximum goals” set by the Compensation Committee, meaning that Cook and his generals …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

significantly exceeded the maximum goals

So if he had only been paid $9M, he wouldn't have bothered launching the apple Watch

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

"...he’ll give the rest of his riches away to charity at some point before he shuffles off this mortal coil."

I believe that's called buying your ticket to Heaven

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Unhappy

How depressing

I'm not sure if I want to know these things...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How depressing

It's not too depressing. What is more depressing is that Rooney is earning more then Cook!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Bruce Ordway
    Headmaster

Off topic

>>shuffles? ...off this mortal coil.

Since reading this:... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_coil

'shuttle' is sounding better to me.

I wonder....

5. david willis

Cook is set to get enough money to build a robot army and take on North Korea

Whoop.. Bring on the Apple Robot Army...

6. djstardust

Cupertino Tax

And people are still happy paying well over the odds for Apple tat made in China. Mugs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cupertino Tax

Isn't almost everyone elses TAT also made in China?

Some of it is actually more expensive than Crapple's.

I guess that Apple is truly doomed then? Yay!

2. David Lawton

Re: Cupertino Tax

Yes that 'tat' that most other manufactures in the industry bench mark them selves on and try to make their products resemble. Its always an iPhone killer, or an iPad killer or a Macbook killer.

I will just keep buying Apple products because i won't tolerate shit anymore, and as soon as you get into the 'not shit' category of products from non Apple manufactures you're into the Apple price territory anyway.

7. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

MegaMetaData Increasing Stock Options ....... with Heavenly Assets ‽ .

Have Apple plans 42lead with CyberWareFare and NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive Recovery Systems ..... ...... Running Quantum ITNetworks ..... Immaculate Channels?

Their machines do. Would y'all Doubt IT?

cc. Tim Cook, Apple CEO

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: MegaMetaData Increasing Stock Options ....... with Heavenly Assets ‽ .

cc @HeadUKCivServ @OECDgov ...... Ab Fab Fabless Future Builders

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: MegaMetaData Increasing Stock Options ....... with Heavenly Assets ‽ .

Shut up you Muppet

3. Blain Hamon
      Happy

AManFromMars is back?

Oh man. Either I've been reading the wrong articles, or it's been a while! How's everyone's favorite artificially intelligent commentbot doing? I've missed you!

Edit: Huh. Looks like I *have* been reading the wrong articles.

8. JDX Gold badge

And?

Are you trying to incite jealousy from the have-nots, or citing him as a role model?

Why the obsession with what other people have and whether they deserve it, instead of focusing on achieving something yourself?

9. Lusty
    WTF?

"Presumably right before he does."

Why? Most of the other billionaires have done it years in advance so they can see the benefits of their charity. Gates is a good example of this, and Zuck seems to be trying to join that club too so why would you assume Cook would leave it until the very last moment when his entire personality would seem to imply the opposite?

10. Erik4872

A lot of this is reciprocal board membership

"Compensation Committee" indeed. The issue with large company boards is that their directors are also directors of other large companies and vice versa. Board members set the rules, so it's not surprising that they would help each other out to ensure their goals are quite attainable. Apple is in a position right now of being the gatekeeper for massive amounts of app and media purchases on their already high-margin devices, ensuring they can collect a toll for as long as people want to keep buying media and apps. So, I don't expect them to be in trouble any time soon.

It's the executive version of the same game most large company workers have to pay to get a bonus payout. I'm not sure which consultancy came up with it, but I've worked for 3 employers now who use the "trigger, on-target, max" SMART objective thing. I'm sure the rules for the executives are much easier to follow along with.

Hopefully he'll be like many multibillionaires and try to do something good with all that excess money even before he dies.

11. TheOtherHobbes

He's barely scraping by as a billionaire, and isn't in the same league as Steve Ballmer, who is now worth 22.7 beeeeeeelion. Or The Flying Zuck, who's worth 36bn. Or billg, who - well, lots and lots and lots.

It's more cash than most of us will ever see, but it's barely pocket money compared to those other incredibly talented titans of IT.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not reasonable comparisons

Cook was not a founder of Apple, and didn't benefit from getting a big chunk of stock at inception like Ballmer, Gates and Zuckerberg did with Microsoft and Facebook. So it is entirely reasonable that they are far more wealthy than Cook. No one becomes worth $50 billion on salary, even if that salary includes a longevity bonus of a million shares of stock.

Still even if he was "only" getting the $28,000 per day and not getting that long term stock incentive, I think few of us are going to shed a tear for him if he finds himself left off the billionaires-only club invite list.

At least he's running a company that is doing quite well, unlike some CEOs who continue to make massive paychecks even when their company is going down the tubes and tens of thousands of workers are being laid off (like one of the presidential candidates in the US when she was CEO at HP)

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Me19713
    Devil

I guess he can skip that job as a greeter at Walmart.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Life is a bitch...

...and so is Tim Cook who uses Chinese slave labor to net himself tens of millions in annual compensation for exploiting human beings. Foxconn and other slaves shops should be forced to pay proper compensation and benefits to their employees equal to what Timmy boy gets or their products should be banned from sale in Western society. That would rattle Timmy's cage.

1. Handy Plough

Re: Life is a bitch...

YAWN! Heard this before, been shown to be largely bollocks to.

You do know that the same is true for Microsoft, Dell, Lenovo, HP, Samsung etc., etc., etc.?

Tit.

2. Mark 85

Re: Life is a bitch...

to net himself tens of millions in annual compensation

Tens of millions each year? Really. Did you RFTA before jumping up on that soapbox?

Foxconn and other slaves shops should be forced to pay proper compensation and benefits to their employees equal to what Timmy boy gets

So, every Foxconn employee should make $10 Million a year? Not a bad idea but very impractical. Fair compensation would be fine but what you suggest is beyond the pale.

Damn me... I fed the troll....

15. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

The more interesting question

The more interesting question, in my opinion, is his tax rate on his total income. Is it higher than his secretary's percentage.

16. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Considering that you can make a lot more by kicking a football or driving a fast car in circles and so on, around 10 mio pa as head of a company generating revenue rivaling the GDP of (not so) small countries doesn't seem that much OTT.

17. Paul

I guess he's being paid in iWatches, he gets a couple of the most expensive ones every day.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like