back to article Lloyds Bank apologises for ClickSafe verification system snafu

Lloyds Bank has apologised for problems with its ClickSafe verification system that left customers unable to complete purchases online earlier this week. The site associated with the Verified by Visa-style system was unavailable on Wednesday and (according to complaints on social media) Tuesday. In a statement to El Reg on …

1. Kraggy

Why is it with ALL these announcements only a 'small' number of customers were victims?

Do the PR bunnies that write this trash really think the people reading it are stupid?

Sadly I suspect the answer is undoubtedly a big YES they do.

1. Pen-y-gors

Small for a given value of small

Yep, nice and vague isn't it. Do they mean only a small number of those using Clicksafe had problems or that everyone using clicksafe (which is only a small proportion of their total customers) had problems? And did it occur with all online card use or just those transactions that triggered clicksafe?

Actually I think the PR bunnies haven't the faintest idea what they're talking about. Someone in IT management tried to explain what had happened to them but all they heard was "yadder yadder something techie I don't understand yadder yadder SMALL blah blah blah CUSTOMERS yadder rhubarb AFFECTED" and hey presto, instant press release.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Small for a given value of small

If it is anything like in my place, it would be,

Someone in IT tried to explain to the IT Manager what happened and all they heard was "yadder yadder something techie I don't understand yadder yadder SMALL blah blah blah CUSTOMERS yadder rhubarb AFFECTED" , then it goes to PR as "yadder yadder AFFECTED SMALL CUSTOMERS! yadder yadder"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Anything under a Grahams number is small really.

Oh, and if it's not over 50% of the customer, it's "most of our customers are well served".

Finally, if you sell one product, and sold one of it, it's the "biggest seller we have". ;)

Beer, because then I don't need my coat.

1. Ed_UK

Please accept an upvote for the Graham's number reference. (Although not even Zuck could realistically claim that many users).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lot of banks impacted actually...

There were two DDoS attacks on RSA lunch time -ish on Tuesday and Wednesday which impacted a lot of banks, though it looks as though Lloyds was the actual target as they continued to have problems.

AC 'cos of were I work

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lot of banks impacted actually...

"AC 'cos of were I work"

AC because of your spelling.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Someone really doesn't want us doing our online Xmas shopping, RSA have been under attack this evening.

Oh, and AC Pedant, so what's your reason?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Oh, and AC Pedant, so what's your reason?"

''cos of were I work'

AC because of your comprehension.

3. Warm Braw

What Happened to 3D Secure 2.0?

Which in 2014 was coming next year?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What Happened to 3D Secure 2.0?

My thoughts exactly!

4. RogerT

Clicksafe has never worked well for me and a "small" number of transactions fail. In this case "small" equates to a significant proportion. I've always assumed that Clicksafe is primarily intended for Microsoft systems.

I've never understood how entering security information for a second time protects me. As far as I'm concerned this increases the chance of fraud.

1. Dan Paul

Clicksafe, what a misnomer!

Exactly, Everytime you enter the information, you increase your potential exposure by 100%

2. Eponymous Cowherd

That's odd. It usually works for me, works on Windows, Android and Linux and there is never any requirement to enter any security info.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon