back to article NASA pours cold comets on aliens-make-star-flutter theory

KIC 8462852 is a star in the Cygnus constellation about 1500 light years from here. Were it not for the fact that Kepler Space Telescope photos reveal fluctuates in brightness to a degree we've not previously seen in the cosmos, nobody would care. That fluctuation is, however, so odd that scientists recently floated in a …

1. et tu, brute?
    Alien

It worked...

... to coat the outward facing side of our habitats with proper insulation! Earthlings can't even detect any heat with their puny telescopes, and don't have the means to come check it out, so there!

1. WraithCadmus
      Pint

Re: It worked...

So you drew the curtains shut and pretended no-one was home in order to top us bothering you? We use similar tactics here to avoid religious proselytisers.

It is our custom to imbibe inebriating beverages before our regular rest periods, please join me if the beverage is biologically compatible.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

It's nil-nil

Up until now, except with this star, we have never detected a comet storm or an alien structure. I know which I'd pick because - ALIENS.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought the usual cause of a star being regularly dimmed was an orbiting planet. This star is being dimmed more than usual, so the planet must be bigger than usual. Maybe even big enough to cause a detectable wobble in the star's position... have they checked for wobble?

4. Roj Blake Silver badge

My money's on it being caused the remains of a pair of planets that collided with each other.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Coat

Or perhaps it's result of the disintegration of a ringworld

OK, I am going. The one with the Larry Niven books in the pocket

More seriously, my money is on a natural explanation too

(although strictly speaking, alien life is also a natural explanation, nothing supernatural about it, after all)

5. NomNomNom

It has always been blindingly obvious that our government would need to maintain large banks of chemical matter away from the prying eyes of the public if it were to be intent on spraying us daily from the skies with titanium, borium, floride and bismuth. Perhaps what we are observing are not alien megastructures at all, but a system of orbiting chemical weapons dumps covered in the greasy fingerprints of government lackeys.

My theory of chemical sky trails, as documented in my as yet unfinished 87 page peer reviewed scientific blog post, posits that our government must be storing vast quantities of chemical matter at an undisclosed, secret location.

Well gentlemen, this is my Eureka moment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like