back to article Video malvertising campaign lasted 12 hours? Try two months

A malvertising campaign exploiting online videos to fling poison at netizens actually lasted for two months rather than the 12 hours previously reported, according to new research which suggested the previously unfavoured medium may be ripe for exploitation. Contrary to The Media Trust's report that a video malvertising …

1. Anonymous Custard
    FAIL

Greed

...VAST (Video Ad Serving Template) proved insufficient for advertisers, who demanded an extension to execute code in advertisements.

At which point they should have been told exactly where to go, taking their crap with them.

I personally have no issue with "subtle" ads on web pages, as in ones that are static, small (both in dimension and file size) and simple. What I object to is having both my bandwidth and eyeballs hijacked by people who think adding a movie or interactive box to a webpage is going to either enhance the page or their chances of me actually being interested in the product being spammed at me.

Indeed in almost all cases, it has exactly the opposite effect of putting me entirely off the product and ending up negative and evasive toward it. And that's just the legitimate advertisers, let alone the malware scum that the door they opened up lets in also.

And people wonder why ad-blockers are doing such good business? With all this crap there's an argument that they're to be included in the anti-virus/anti-malware toolbox.

1. mythicalduck

Re: Greed

But what's even more confusing - it's a video ad, so you already are able to provide moving graphics and audio. So what the hell do they need code for?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Re: So what the hell do they need code for?

Tracking everything you do, what software you have installed and in general basically anything short of raping you...

1. Mark 85

Re: So what the hell do they need code for?

I thought the "rape" part was the malware...?

2. Conrad Longmore

And this is why..

And this is why people block ads. Those big media companies with about a zillion javascripts loading all sorts of shit don't seem to understand that.

3. martinusher Silver badge

Greed and Hubris

As far as these people are concerned my computer is just a platform to do as they please, to execute whatever code they want and collect any information the feel suits their business. The fact that malware is riding on this is irrelevant -- as far as I'm concerned it is all malware.

Content providers -- including ElReg -- would be better served by providing a less intrusive type of site. I've stopped visiting many sites because of the problem with advertisements bogging down the system, crashing the browser and generally clagging up my computer. I have no objection to advertising as such but this type of modern website is just unusable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Greed and Hubris

The only problem is that less intrusive sites don't get returns. About the only way to get attention (and thus attract advertising fees) is to shock and awe. Anything else just gets ignored.

1. MJI Silver badge

No they don't, we block intrusive ads but then on forums we use with banner ads which pay for the particular site we look at them, and occasionally buy from.

However get intrusive and adblock is enabled.

BTW most main ad sites live in my hosts file

Popups caused me to install ad blocking software.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"No they don't, we block intrusive ads but then on forums we use with banner ads which pay for the particular site we look at them, and occasionally buy from."

You're lucky, then. Most that try don't last long. People have been getting jaded to advertisements since the beginning of the 20th century. E. E. "Doc" Smith even made it a bit of a plot point in First Lensman.

1. MJI Silver badge

I use a site for hobby X and the adverts are for a supplier to hobby X and it is some new exciting thing of course I am going to look.

These suppliers are paying for the site and their adverts are interesting to most users of the site.

They are banners, and not popups pushing some strange crap no one wants.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"I use a site for hobby X and the adverts are for a supplier to hobby X and it is some new exciting thing of course I am going to look.

These suppliers are paying for the site and their adverts are interesting to most users of the site."

Like I said, you're the exception. Most web viewers, however, are jaded: don't even acknowledge the ads exist, regardless of the content or the focus. If banner ads really were cutting it, they'd still be using them to save on development costs. Shock and awe costs money to develop, but fiduciary sense says the return must be better if they're still using them...

4. Rol

Ode to Granny Dear

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, we love you Granny Dear.

You are the only one on the planet not blocking us. That's clear.

And as advertisers we totally rely on you, to bring home the beer.

To the rest of the planet, we just grimace and sneer,

but not you Granny Dear.

We know your shoe size and all those special days

And we can offer you treats in so many ways

And that's because we've been watching you for days and days and days.

5. Bucky 2

Easily fixed

The result is that: "Publishers now have no idea who serves what ads on their websites, making it virtually impossible to police for compliance and security – unless they rely on dedicated audit and scanning technology."

The simplest solution is for publishers to actually host the actual ads they're going to display. Just like TV and radio stations use their own bandwidth to broadcast ads.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Easily fixed

Not necessarily. Some ads get overlaid by other ads, depends on the supply chain.

6. connermac725

ADS

what are these things you speak of

o yea I ad block all that crap just for that reason "video malware"

have not seen an online ad in months and I can honestly say I do not miss them

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ADS

And if a site with exclusive content won't let you in unless you see an ad? Do you go without the exclusive content?

1. Jim 40

"And if a site with exclusive content won't let you in unless you see an ad? Do you go without the exclusive content?"

Well duh!

That stock phrase alone, "exclusive content," is pretty much a guarentee that some snake oil salesdroid is trying to punt some worthless tat upon the gullible.

2. Stoneshop
        Mushroom

If they don't offer another method, one that is acceptable to me, to get that 'exclusive content' then yes, they can stick it where solar irradiation is non-existent.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And what if that exclusive content is the only working driver for something you're trying to use. They can sit behind their adwall and neener, "I've got the only drivers. I've got the only drivers." And if you refuse, they'll change their tune to, "You're losing money. You're losing money."

7. Stoneshop
    Holmes

"Publishers now have no idea who serves what ads on their websites"

To even things out, I have no idea either, both who serves what ads on whose website, and what these ads might show if they were shown.

Sounds fair, right?

8. Tree
    Pirate

Another good reason to use adblockers. Have used adblockers for years and noscript, too. Also, I resist temptation to watch a video online. I have been only watching those I can download. My AV will automatically scan it when downloaded and when opened.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like