back to article Half the staff go gardening at the now not-so-jolly Jolla

Finnish phone company Jolla has confirmed it has put half of its 100-odd staff on gardening leave, after hitting financial problems. Jolla was founded in 2012 by former Nokians who took on the abandoned (and slightly fire damaged) platform MeeGo, along with a lot of Finnish state aid and Nokia cash. The idea was to take the …

1. msknight

It's a shame to see it go this way.

I've had a Jolla for a couple of years and the changes in the OS basically undid all the innovative functions that it was launched with. It went from gesture control to increasingly touch, "press," based. The most recent update infuriated me. It really messed up the functioning.

And when, a few months ago, they had problems keeping the new "other half" in stock, I wasn't surprised to learn that they had ditched the hardware.

So this doesn't surprise me at all.

However, Nokia haven't, to my recollection, announced the OS they're going to be using on their new brand of mobiles.......

1. wheelybird

The gesture based stuff has gone a bit downhill, yes. The really annoying thing is the big focus on Android integration rather than getting the native stuff up to scratch.

If I wanted to use Android apps I could, you know, buy an Android phone.

They seem to have spent a lot of development effort on that rather than fixing some long, long-running bugs. Like crappy network management, or buggy IMAP IDLE.

*sigh*

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

"rather than fixing some long, long-running bugs."

They've inherited the Nokia tradition, that they can't Finnish anything they start.

Ahahahahahahaha! I am available for shows and comedy festivals, remember to throw money not flowers

2. Greg J Preece

They seem to have spent a lot of development effort on that rather than fixing some long, long-running bugs. Like crappy network management, or buggy IMAP IDLE.

Or making it so that the store works on devices that don't have a SIM card, like my Nexus 7.

It's a real shame. I'm so desperate for a successor to Maemo but they never seem to get the backing or hype they need.

2. Tom Samplonius

"However, Nokia haven't, to my recollection, announced the OS they're going to be using on their new brand of mobiles......."

You don't need to wait. It'll be Android.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

You don't need to wait. It'll be Android.

Or perhaps dual boot with Android and Jolla, and make the OSes removable.

In which case I would buy one and immediately remove the Android.

3. Richie 1

> the changes in the OS basically undid all the innovative functions that it was launched with

Hard to believe you're complaining: I find Sailfish 2 much nicer to use. It's much clearer about where you can swipe and when you have a menu available.

I'm really pleased with how the OS is shaping up, and I hope they get to license it on another phone soon.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Gardening leave - in winter? They're about to be plunged into 24 hour darkness and think their staff should be outside tending the roses in x feet of snow?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Gardening leave - in winter?

In that neck of the woods they'll be put out in the snow and left to chew leather until they freeze, if I recall the traditions properly.

3. cbars Bronze badge

bugger

I was about to buy one. I've already bough two phones in the last year so was trying to be good. Fucks sake I just want a fucking phone that doesn't hoover* up all my details, while giving me maps and an internet browser!

Keep Angry birds, Facebook and all that shit. I thought this was it! :(

*(apologies, vacuum)

1. Chris 3

Re: bugger

It really is possible to set up an iPhone so that it doesn't Hoover up your details.

2. Trixr

Re: bugger

Just set up a bullsh*t Gmail account - h4ndsoffmyd4t4@gmail.com - if you want to go the Android route. Done.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Angel

The optimistic version

They're already back at Nokia getting a great phone ready.

Well it could be true...

5. NanoMeter

Nokia

should buy them and get back into real mobil phone business again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like