back to article X-Gene 3 in 2016 – no, not a superhero movie. It's a 16nm FinFET 64-bit ARM chip for servers

Applied Micro has vowed to unleash upon the world the X-Gene 3, a 64-bit ARM-compatible server processor made using FinFET gates. The 32-core ARMv8-compatible chips will be manufactured by TSMC using a 16nm process, can be clocked up to 3GHz, and will feature eight DDR4-2667 memory channels and 42 PCIe 3 lanes, if all goes to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its getting harder...

...to not use chips like this, especially if you're already a Linux outfit.

1. defiler

Re: Its getting harder...

Was going to say much the same. I doubt it'll have the power density of a 2-socket x64 server (thinking likes of DL360), but for most small-business applications that's overkill.

In fact, for most companies, unless you're hitting virtualisation hard (and yes, there are still some holdouts), a single x64 server is too much for a given task.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

I fancy that whether or not that's a disadvantage rather depends on what you mean by "power" ;)

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Cool as it sounds: they ain't here yet.

1. Tom 7

It sounds like its nearly here.

I'd love to know the power consumption of these things - FinFET's should be pretty low leakage so I'm wondering if things like this will turn up in phones/tablets as they will consume very little power when idle.

2. Known Hero

16nm

Ok I might be missing a blindingly obvious point, please enlighten me if that is the case.

If they are able to make 14nm graphics cards

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/04/amd_polaris_14nm/

why not 14nm CPU's ? would that not be even further power efficient?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon