back to article Even with Turnbull's NBN, Australian ISPs are getting faster

Netflix's Australian ISP Speed Index has updated gain to reflect October performance and the good news is there's good news no matter which ISP you use. As the chart below shows (click here to embiggen), all the ISPs the video-streamer rates are doing better. Netflix Australia ISP Speed Index October 2015 The table below …

1. Michael Xion

..because, statistics.

To be fair (and I do believe this was pointed out on a previous article about this), Telstra are the only supplier of broadband to a lot of exchanges in regional areas that struggle to get better than ADSL 1 speeds (myself included). This is not to excuse their poor showing on the table, but merely to explain that the aggregate statistics could quite likely be skewed by the large number of low speed customers in areas not serviced by the other providers.

I'm no fan of FOXTEL, but it seems rather disingenuous to imply that Telstra's part ownership of that company is the reason for their poor download speeds, when there are other factors at play.

1. Lyle Dietz

Re: ..because, statistics.

Maybe, but it is interesting when you have Telstra cable running at 100Mb/s that you can struggle to watch Netflix without it constantly stopping to buffer, yet everything else worked just fine.

2. P. Lee

Re: ..because, statistics.

Is there no breakdown by suburb?

If the data comes from Netflix how many subscribers will continue to pay if the quality is inadequate for purpose? It seems to imply that the stats may be relevsnt if the decision based around hd content availability.

"Slower" may not be as relevant as "fast enough" for basic service.

2. DavidRa
    WTF?

October sure was a funny month...

The Big T can at least claim to be the biggest improver for October.

It therefore comes as no surprise that Optus' ... improved the most in October.

Erm, what?

1. Invidious Aardvark

Re: October sure was a funny month...

Be fair now. You can't expect Simon to proof read everything when he's doing his monthly advertisement for Netflix down under and slyly hinting that Telstra has lower speeds because Foxtel. Do you know how long it takes to look up different ways of saying the same thing every month?

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: October sure was a funny month...

Fair points here, but by way of explanation there are very few indicators of real-world broadband performance in AU. Netlifx's isn't stellar, but is at least offering us one view. And a view that readers generally respond to rather well.

Let's also remember that Australia has no real net neutrality debate. And Telstra remains a dominant provider ...

1. mathew42

The numbers are significantly below what I would expect based on publically available information. Back in 2008 iiNet & Internode published a heat map for Sydney showing that close to 50% of ADSL2+ connections were capable of 12Mbps in the Fibre to the Node: At what price? article. If we add to this the 610,000 users on the NBN and other HFC / fibre connections it suggests that in an uncongested network the numbers should be higher.

2. Myvekk

I'm left wondering about the bandwidth each ISP has to Netflix. I seem to recall Telstra's original reason for their poor showing on the "Netflix rating" was that they had lesser bandwidth directly to Netflix than the number of customers using it, therefore each customer received a slower rate of data from Netflix via Telstra. Does the big improvement in October relate to them purchasing more bandwidth, then? They still need to aquire more, if so, in order to catch up.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NEWS: Net speeds increase!

Network analysis provided by: VW

4. Flat Phillip

Is it wholesale or retail?

I was never sure, but I assume this is the retail provider, not the wholesale. For example I use the iinet/internode/tpgi borg as my provider which is the retail side but the DSLAM is Telstras, would that make my crappy internet a black mark against i/i/t or Telstra?

If it is based on retail, then it really is that Telstra provides crummy internet. I already know the internet is bad outside metro areas using Telstra wholesale, but then, who else would you use?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like