back to article Google lifts app price ceiling to US$400

Google has lifted the maximum price developers can charge for their wares on its Play store. As the wonders of The Wayback Machine demonstrate, on September 24th, 2015 prices for apps or in-app purchases topped out at US$200, £150 and €199. As of today, those price ceilings are US$400, £300 and €350, as recorded here. Why has …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why should there be any limit ?

If someone wants to charge 10K for their software, and someone else is prepared to pay for it, why should the OS manufacturer have any say in it as long as they get their required cut ?

I can buy some really expensive PC software with PayPal and a click of the mouse. I can buy a 100K watch on Amazon if my CC can take the hit.

I understand the need for security, but this is plain weird.

1. Dr. Mouse

Re: Why should there be any limit ?

I think, as AC stated bellow, they are probably covering their arses with the limit. Many people don't protect their store account, and a couple of clicks charge them whatever price for the app.

I think I'd go a different route: Allow the user to set a spending limit (possibly per transaction, maybe on a rolling week/monthly basis). Set the default fairly low. If a transaction will take you over that limit, a password is required. Possibly, for greater security, have a second stage of security for large purchases.

However, for app developers, there is another route: Require the user to buy a license key. For those few apps which need it, particularly business apps, it wouldn't be enough of a hassle to put users off, and they could do volume licensing deals etc. Also, Google wouldn't be taking their cut.

1. Charles 9

"However, for app developers, there is another route: Require the user to buy a license key. For those few apps which need it, particularly business apps, it wouldn't be enough of a hassle to put users off, and they could do volume licensing deals etc. Also, Google wouldn't be taking their cut."

Unless they use the in-app purchase system, and devs may be required to employ it as a security measure, much as eBay sellers are strongly encouraged to employ PayPal since other routes risk fraud.

2. Velv

"However, for app developers, there is another route: Require the user to buy a license key. For those few apps which need it, particularly business apps, it wouldn't be enough of a hassle to put users off, and they could do volume licensing deals etc. Also, Google wouldn't be taking their cut."

Your last sentence hits the nail on the head. Google (and Apple) aren't getting their cut. I know Apple specifically excludes external payments, I guess Google wants a similar profit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think Google is trying to avoid gouging, particularly among things like children's apps where kids may not be literate enough to read the price tags yet skilled enough to touch buttons to proceed. There had been several instances of excessive charges due to children in the past, so it helped to iron out some details there first before raising the bar.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We can only hope...

That Facebook monetizes itself and charges the full whack for the app and a billion devices lose the "installed by manufacturer" bloatware.

4. Slx

Just as long as they make sure there's an "are you sure you want to pay €9580.95 for this fart app double check.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

in-app purchases

Is there a different limit for app purchase and in-app purchase? Not sure what $999 get's you, but it's going to cost you more by the looks of it, still, most of this will be paid for with 'thinking time' no doubt.

Top In-App Purchases

MPRE Question Set$30.99

BarMax New York$1,599.99

MBE Questions$399.99

6. PleebSmash
    Paris Hilton

why not charge more than once

What happened to cloudy subscription-based software?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Extracting so much money from want to be lawyers?

They are true geniuses... just hope they won't one day get those money back, and with a lots of itnterests...

8. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

jargon

I wonder how many of those muggles out there could tell you what "app" is an abbrieviation of.

9. Tromos
    Joke

For that sort of money...

...the fart apps are going to have to produce the smell too!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like