back to article It's all Me, Me, Me! in Doctor Who's The Woman Who Lived but what of Clara's fate?

Readers please note: THIS IS A POST-UK BROADCAST REVIEW – THERE WILL BE SPOILERS! Gavin says: No surprise, then, that Ashildr turns bad. If we’ve learned anything about vampires, it’s that their world-weary, callous and arrogant demeanour comes from outliving everybody else. Ashildr predictably hits the wrong track, having …

1. Gordon 10
    Unhappy

I thought it was a great ep

But filled with some terribly hamfisted "comedy" only after did I realise it was Rufus Hound - current the leading BBC contender for worlds unfunniest man. Note to the writer of this weeks Ep - you can't write comedy - please don't attempt it again.

If they had not taken the mistep of trying to balance the darkness of Ashildr with the comedy it could have been a truly classic episode.

It was frankly insulting to both Peter Capaldi and Maisey Williams that they couldn't let the episode stand on their 2 shoulders. They were electric together with nary a romantic notion in sight. In Ashildr they have possibly filled a role that has been empty since we last saw the Rani. More Maisey please it's nice to see her stretch her talents.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: I thought it was a great ep

Seconded !

Bring back the Rani.... oh and Romana too !

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rufus Hound's character was made 'human' through his humor. He was supposedly a character for the audience to empathize with. Although I would have preferred they made him less boisterous with his death imminent. But I guess they needed a way to get the doctor involved in the scene somehow. I know why the writers made him boisterous. It's because of that has gone before in British drama/comedy regarding that era in Britain (Too much baggage from Blackadder no doubt in their minds).

That scene let it down the most and the bad guy was pretty lame. Still I found the interplay and moral hand ringing interesting even if they keep hammering the 'tidal wave' consequences comparison home rather too bluntly.

My one annoyance is that 'Me' was willing to kill someone to get her way but when she found out she had been duped and random people were dying everywhere (something she had witnessed already in wars and plagues I might add) she had a sudden change of heart. I found this a bit too hard to swallow considering her prior attitude to humans as 'smoke'.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

I think the idea is that Ashildr/Me has developed a calloused exterior to humanity because she's seen so many fade and die and because her memories fade. [by comparison to the Doctor who can run off in the TARDIS to somewhere different each time]

It is then the Doctors insistence that individual lives ( whether a half blind/half deaf old man at the end of his life, or a common criminal about to be executed) matter that gives her renewed purpose. It is probably significant to this that the only killing she considers in the course of her plan to escape are of those near death anyway.

2. h4rm0ny

>>"Although I would have preferred they made him less boisterous with his death imminent"

I thought there was a nice edge of desperation to this humour. Could you not see the edge of panic when he was struggling to think of any more jokes to delay his execution? Of course the jokes were banal - it was a man floundering for any way to get this mob of people to stop baying for his death. It seems odd to me that both you and Kelly have taken this for a comedy scene. It didn't strike me as one, although it made me like the character and his efforts to cling on for just a few more minutes of life. It made a strong thematic contrast to Ashilda.

I disagree with Kelly on this. I found this episode far more interesting than the previous one. I liked seeing what Ashilda had become and I liked seeing someone failing to cope with their immortality and there were many nice little touches such as when the Doctor asks her why she hasn't torn out the pages about her children dying when she destroys other bad memories and she snaps back "to remind me not to have any more". There's some dark stuff in that character and I enjoyed it.

1. caffeine addict

Yeah, Sam Swift isn't supposed to be a comedian - he's someone who has realised a joke could save him and is desperately grasping for anything to delay the inevitable. Having his perform a perfect standup routine wouldn't have been believable.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have a feeling we're going to get more of Maisie than we thought from this series... She was absolutely charged tonight...

I suspect that your reading of the 'hamfisted comedy' was both spot on and slightly off: just from my understanding of 'gallows humour' and the sense of humour that permeates the literature we have from the dark ages: it was crass, it was what many of us today would consider unfunny, I felt as though the writers were highlighting a well known historical fact: these newly to be departed were celebrities of their day; the crowd were there to see them and there are several accounts of crowd engagement prolonging the inevitable... Rather than being an attempt at contemporary humour... there was plenty of actual humour in the script, and moments of extreme pathos, it was an incredibly well written episode... Imho >.<

I also don't understand why you thought it insulting to the actors... it was a two part story, both were given ample opportunity to showcase the build up to things to come and their relationship is one of the most interesting we've seen in modern Who, the dialogue between them is loaded with so much subtext I doubt any of us understand the consequences of it yet... ...again imho... I hope a second viewing will temper your thoughts to your initial reaction... it is opening this season's mood to a darkness as yet unhinted at in the Who universe...

I think... lol =)

4. sisk

I didn't get the impression that Sam was supposed to be all that funny. Rather he struck me as a sort of "useless at everything, including comedy" type character. His utter incompetence was the only thing funny about him, and I think that was rather the goal. Unless, of course, you believe the Doctor Who writers so out of touch with real humor that they thought that 'well hung' line was actually funny. I've got a pretty puntastic sense of humor that often leads to groans and eye rolls by those around me and not even I would have made that joke.

No, I contend that Sam Swift is not supposed to be a funny man. He has his strengths, one of which is undoubtedly his positive outlook on life, but being funny isn't supposed to be one of them. And if he truly is immortal (probably) we'll see him again. At which point I suspect his other strengths will be revealed.

2. Martin an gof Silver badge

Double negative?

Me’s not getting neither her way or the attention

Interesting combination of negatives ;-)

1. Doctor_Wibble
      Angel

Re: Double negative?

Confused me too, don't understand the downvote there unless it's in regard to there not actually being a double negative per se but a negated negative-positive or possibly negated positive-negative where a negative-negative or positive-positive expression was expected.

You can have either 'neither ... nor' or 'either ... or' but neither 'neither ... or' nor 'either ... nor' are likely to be clearly understood, especially if prefixed with a 'not'.

I trust all is now clear.

3. x 7

I think you're about to discover the origins of one of the other Torchwood satellites. The Doctor planted the idea that she needed to track down Captain Jack....whats the betting she and the other new immortal track him down and then found the "missing" Scottish Torchwood site? Remember that Torchwood was founded with a remit to protect against the Doctor

1. Doctor_Wibble

Good bit of thinking there, it would certainly 'fit' and explains why the Doctor actually mentioned Capn Jack by name because in spite of reconciliations/revelations/whatever we know he's still a little uneasy about that - mentioning it is one thing, but the name as well?

I did like the 'creepy girl in the photo background' thing, I know it's frequently used but as a sneaky photobomb on a selfie to send a message to a time traveller, it's a good one.

The next thing is to look for how the character names are anagrams or get mangled into godawful puns for things we already have names for. Calling Dr Ashil, you have an appointment with Count Uladrac, or even the blatant 'a shielder' but I really hope it's not as chronically lame as that unless... ah hang on... (yes an actual thought occurring while typing) it is the *origin* of the word, much like the origin of 'doctor' was described (by River?) IIRC.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. sisk

She's got a long wait. If memory serves Jack landed in the 1850s or thereabouts. She's got about 200 years before he's around for her to track down.

Here's hoping that Jack shows up a time or two this season. He's definitely one of the better companions to come out of NuWho. And if you don't count Torchwood one of the most underused.

4. Efros

Meh

didn't really like it. Ashildr as a 'dolled up' woman didn't work, and Rufus Hound, well least said soonest mended.

5. flearider

still just waiting till he leaves .. at least lose those sun glasses .. no just cancel the whole lot and start again .. worked for star trek ...

1. sisk

Capaldi's a great Doctor in my opinion. He reminds me a lot of the early Doctors actually. But those sun glasses.....yeah, that abominable idea has got to go.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Worked for Star-Trek?

Only if you happen to be intellect free.

6. DainB Bronze badge

Osgood is back !

And please lose Clara on some remote planet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Osgood is back !

The traditional way is to have an accident in the airlock. No wait...

2. TSM

What's up with that anyway? Osgood got killed off by Missy last season, so why is she back now?

I mean, I always liked Osgood and was disappointed when she was killed, but you can't just blatantly ignore it and shove her back on next time you want to do a UNIT episode.

1. Alister

Osgood got killed off by Missy last season, so why is she back now?

I mean, I always liked Osgood and was disappointed when she was killed, but you can't just blatantly ignore it and shove her back on next time you want to do a UNIT episode.

I'm guessing that they will retcon it so that the Osgood who Missy killed was the Zygon one, and not the human one.

1. Alan Watson

Or... the Osgood we get next week may be the Zygon. Who knows (pun intended)?

2. h4rm0ny

>>"I'm guessing that they will retcon it so that the Osgood who Missy killed was the Zygon one, and not the human one."

I would prefer it the other way around. Osgood the friendly Zygon sounds much more interesting.

1. sisk

My thought is that Missy's ray gun thingy wasn't the death ray we all thought it was. After all, it didn't kill Missy, why would it kill anyone else?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"My thought is that Missy's ray gun thingy wasn't the death ray we all thought it was. After all, it didn't kill Missy, why would it kill anyone else?"

Missy's ray gun thingy was never fired at her - the Cyber Brigadier shot at Missy. Missy didn't die because she was wearing a Vortex Manipulator that she had rewired to work off of death ray energy, as explained in The Witch's Familiar. However the still-alive Osgood is explained, Zygons are involved either way.

7. Trooper_ID

I thought it an 'uncomfortable' episode. There was the plus of no Clara, the minus of Rufus and the big minus of poor writing. The concept was great and I loved some of the backgrounds in terms of immortality and a human sized memory, and it shed an explanatory light for those who hadn't already worked out those issues for the Doctor out, but the sudden about turn at the end for Ashildr was jarring and wrong, unless it is the opener for a future plot twist? No. Not a good episode, few of 12's episodes have been as good as his predecessors, but often that is down to the writing team as much as the actor.

8. trance gemini

the lion, the witch and the ... police box

... and maisie moonface swiftly takes the slap-o-meter straight up to 11 - and now i know why i hate game of thrones without seeing a single episode

tardis sound system's coming along nice though

1. Gordon 10

Re: the lion, the witch and the ... police box

That's way too harsh. Her turn in GOT is one of the better ones and considering she's 18 and has been doing it for the last 6 years she's obviously a talent to watch - way ahead of day the Harry Potter actors at the same age.

Bear in mind that in GOT she's acting with virtually every UK character actor of a certain age plus a selection of handpicked international actors.

If she makes the right career choices she's a star in the making.

And if you haven't watched GOT - your loss.

1. Richard Taylor 2

Re: the lion, the witch and the ... police box

And if you haven't watched GOT - your loss.

If you have, your loss too

9. Chris King

"He's so old, he farts dust"

That pretty much summed up everything that's wrong with the show right now - trying too hard at comedy and falling flat on its face. Lay off with the crappy jokes, the sunglasses and the "ageing rocker" stuff, it's getting old already.

(Oh, and please don't break out the check trousers again like last week - Capaldi looked like some dull, monochromatic version of Rupert the Bear)

Clara is now suttering from the same problem the show had with Amy - a character whose story had a "natural" ending (Amy's marriage, Clara jumping into the Doctor's timeline to save him from The Great Intelligence) but the character was kept on well beyond that ending and outstayed their welcome.

At least the trailer for next week's episode shows some promise - Zygons and the return of Osgood - but given how Moffat fluffed what could have been a stand-out classic story with the return of Davros, I'm not holding my breath.

10. Dan 55 Silver badge

A friend in an enemy, an enemy in a friend.

They made a great show of her saying she was a friend in the pub. So I guess she'll pop up again in the last two episodes at the end of the series and maybe at the start/end of the rest of the programmes from now to till then looking evil as she'll have forgotten how to be like a mayfly.

1. sisk

Re: A friend in an enemy, an enemy in a friend.

Meh, remember Missy counts herself as a good friend to the Doctor also. Apparently "friend" has some odd connotations when used between immortals.

11. Whiskers

Deep shallows

So Ashildr shows what it might be like to be stuck for eternity as a confused teenager. Perhaps now she's got an irritating older man around he'll act as sand-paper to smooth off some of the raw edges.

Interesting reference to Captain Jack. Hint of more to come from that angle?

I'd be intererested to know where the doddery old 17th century butler got to know about cocktails. I think there could be more to this episode than meets the eye.

12. DarkwavePunk

Classic Who

Utterly dreadful plot, awful jokes and stupidity all round.

Bloody wonderful! More of this please.

I honestly loved it, but I may be still drunk from last night.

13. Will 28

I think you guys are being unfairly harsh on Rufus

He wasn't telling jokes, he was acting out a person telling jokes. If he was just being genuinely funny then the acting wouldn't have worked. It's a bit like when someone in a film / tv show is then "in a play", they have to convey the story point that they are acting. Similarly so, he was acting out a person that wasn't a comedian, that was making cheap gags in order to delay his execution. Would it have been more convincing if he'd come out with a finely polished routine?

I thought it was actually quite well done. He conveyed the sense of desparation well, trying to find anything to keep him alive.

1. sisk

Re: I think you guys are being unfairly harsh on Rufus

Exactly. Note the line: "Yes, but while you're laughing I'm living."

14. Soruk
    Coat

Now we know the face of Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged.

15. Cameron Colley

I don't understand the negative comments about the "jokes"?

It would, in my opinion, have been cringe-worthy to watch the condemned man making actually funny, witty or, especially, intelligent jokes. The whole point of the jokes was that they were bad and in bad taste -- it's part of the plot for goodness sake.

If they featured an untalented but aspiring musician who couldn't sing or play guitar would there be moans about how bad they were?

I was disappointed though that Ashilder didn't shoot any squirrels.

1. lorisarvendu

Re: I don't understand the negative comments about the "jokes"?

"It would, in my opinion, have been cringe-worthy to watch the condemned man making actually funny, witty or, especially, intelligent jokes. The whole point of the jokes was that they were bad and in bad taste -- it's part of the plot for goodness sake."

I'm reminded of reactions to Penn & Teller playing the "unfunny" Rebo & Zooty in Babylon 5's "Day of the Dead". That too was actually part of the plot, the point (seemingly missed by many fans) being that humour in the 23rd Century is different to the 20th and by our standards Rebo & Zooty really weren't funny. Our audience identification character, Captain Elizabeth Lochley, was as equally mystified as us at their popularity, while everyone else laughted like drains at their dreadfully lame jokes.

2. h4rm0ny

>>"I was disappointed though that Ashilder didn't shoot any squirrels."

Which squirrels?

1. x 7

"Which squirrels?"

They'd have to be red squirrels.

Truth is though there probably were never many around......red squirrels like conifers, not deciduous trees, and London (and southern England in general) was never exactly rich in Scots Pine. People blame the lack of reds on the rapid expansion of the greys, but the truth is that there were probably never that many reds around anyway: the environment wasn't there.

FWIW my uncle was supposed to have had the last red in Somerset as a pet - when it died in the 1950's it was stuffed and displayed at the local primary school

1. Cameron Colley

See Simon Harris's Post below referring to Amy and Amiability for an explanation of the squirrel reference.

2. TRT Silver badge

They stuffed your dead uncle and put him on display at a primary school??!!! And I thought putting Jeremy Bentham's corpse on display at a university was bad.

16. Scott 53

Yin

Ying is from the Goons.

17. Simon Harris

Amy and Amiability

Was anyone else reminded of the episode where Blackadder meets The Shadow?

https://youtu.be/wL-NNWoblxI

18. J.G.Harston Silver badge

"gone are anachronistic Vikings, and in are anachronistic early-modern Britons"

Yes, I never realised how many black people there were in rural 1600s England. Reputable population statistics puts the black population of 16th/17th century England in the high hundreds/low thousands, certainly not high enough to be cropping up in crowd scenes.

1. x 7

"Reputable population statistics puts the black population of 16th/17th century England in the high hundreds/low thousands"

Of whom virtually all would be in major port towns such as London, Bristol, Plymouth..........as the hanging was supposedly at Tyburn then having black people in the crowd is totally feasible. What probably isn't feasible is the apparent rural environment of Tyburn as depicted in the program - it was probably more built up with wooden houses

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

it winds up the sort of people who go on about SJWs ruining scifi?

And UKIPers.

1. TRT Silver badge

And UKIPpers

with their program of extermination...

3. sisk

You actually spent the mental energy to take note of and analyze the racial makeup of the crowd? Why?

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

"You actually spent the mental energy to take note of and analyze the racial makeup of the crowd? Why?"

No, I just noticed a plump "Tom&Jerry Mammy" black lady, and thought: odd, what's she doing in the middle of 1650s England, this village doesn't look like somewhere a toff with exotic servants lives. I hadn't noticed it was meant to be Tyburn, it looked like some midlands village, not the edge of London.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re:

I suspect the BBC has some sort of diversity quota for crowd scenes given a few of the medivial crowds in Who, still it's about a time travelling alien so authenticity isn't really an issue in this case. Hope it doesn't become carried to far though to historical dramas where authenticity is part of the show.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I loved Tom Baker as Dr Who and enjoyed David Tennant as well though other than to check out the show every few years I've never watched it.

To me, the lead actor has a lot to do with whether the product is any good. This latest carnation is beyond terrible.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You'd rather a stick of celery in your buttonhole than a carnation?

2. TRT Silver badge

I like Capaldi in this. Some of the writing's dreadful, but he does really well considering some of the steaming turds they toss to him. Unfortunately when you get someone as good as he is in the role, the writers either think they can get away with poor plot ideas or they don't notice when they've slipped up and have to try harder.

20. ShadowDragon8685

When Capaldi was first put in, I was furious. Outraged, even.

I'd just warmed up to 11 after discovering 10 early in 11's season and blitzing the prior seasons. I didn't like 11 when we switched to him, too, and then I warmed up to him.

I'm warming up to Capaldi (Dunno how to number him, what with the War Doctor lurking anomalously in the list somewhere,) faster than the other two.

I'm also quite fond of Clara, and I was beyond overjoyed when I heard she was coming back this season, and disenheartened to learn that she's going away.

I liked Clara, because in her, I reckoned, the Doctor had met a match; someone who could retain the point-of-view of the human, but who could, arguably, be every bit as eternal and long-sighted as he.

After all, she is the Impossible Girl. She tore herself apart and flung herself into his own time stream, so as to always be there, right when he needs someone to step in the most. I hope that gets called back to somehow. That, perhaps, Clara is an eternal reincarnator; eternal, ageless, but in a different way to Jack Harkness, the Doctor himself, or now Ashildr; when one falls, another will crop up to take her place, and eventually, she'll remember who she is. What she's capable of.

And with Ashildr, well... I like her, though it seemed like she was really trying to force her callous exterior at times, but at the same time, did the Doctor forget that she's literally a Viking's daughter, daughter of a raider, who made his living sailing over the water to that which belonged to other people? He's SURPRISED that she's more comfortable with bloodletting as a way to get her way than he is?

I also think the twist is that Ashildr isn't a threat to Clara at all. She wasn't menacingly staring at Clara... She's just watching, waiting for the Doctor to abandon her, so she can step in and hug her. Then maybe take her by the hand and take her to the Discarded Companions Club, where they can get a hot cuppa and a stiff drink with Dr. Martha Jones, Wilfred Mott, Vastra, and maybe Strax (if Sontarans live that long.)

1. sisk

I'm warming up to Capaldi (Dunno how to number him, what with the War Doctor lurking anomalously in the list somewhere,)

He's 12. The War Doctor doesn't have a number. He's just the War Doctor. He didn't even think of himself as the Doctor. One of the first things he said after regenerating (maybe THE first thing - I'd need to watch Night of the Doctor again to say for sure) was "Doctor no more".

After all, she is the Impossible Girl. She tore herself apart and flung herself into his own time stream

That time stream ended at Trensalore. By convincing the Time Lords to give the Doctor another regeneration cycle she changed it. His grave isn't at Trensalore anymore and thus neither is the time rift she threw herself into. And certainly she wouldn't have interacted with any incarnation later than 11, as that was HIS grave she visited.

did the Doctor forget that she's literally a Viking's daughter, daughter of a raider, who made his living sailing over the water to that which belonged to other people?

That particular historical stereotype is inaccurate. The Vikings were no more warlike than any other peoples of that period of history. Which is to say they were plenty warlike, but they didn't go around raiding villages willy nilly.

if Sontarans live that long.

They don't. 20 is absolutely ancient for a Sontaran. Strax is already well past middle aged and quickly approaching venerable.

1. Whiskers

>>did the Doctor forget that she's literally a Viking's daughter, daughter of a raider, who made his living sailing over the water to that which belonged to other people?<<

>That particular historical stereotype is inaccurate. The Vikings were no more warlike than any other peoples of that period of history. Which is to say they were plenty warlike, but they didn't go around raiding villages willy nilly.<

There are some dark-age monks who would like to discuss that assertion.

2. ShadowDragon8685

"That particular historical stereotype is inaccurate. The Vikings were no more warlike than any other peoples of that period of history. Which is to say they were plenty warlike, but they didn't go around raiding villages willy nilly."

Anachronistic or not (and there's certainly at least some truth in it,) we literally saw Ashildr's father coming home from a raid in The Girl who Died.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm not feeling it this season to be honest which is probably due to the fact that as a connoisseur of time travel films and tv shows I get a strange feeling I know where it's going, which is that it's going to do a none of this happened switch at some point but not in a the girl who leapt through time sort of way.

is Ashildr missy?

1. D@v3

is Ashildr missy?

Unlikely (not impossible, re-conning is a thing after all)

Missy is/was The Master (right?) and he/she is/was a time lord (right?)

22. bex

why this

I thought TheRegister was a tech site why does is keep reporting on fantasy TV?

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: why this

Because. OK?! How many readers got into science and technology as a result of watching programmes like Dr Who, Blake's 7, Star Trek, Tomorrow People, Tomorrow's World etc etc as a youngster? I know I did, and as Dr Who's the only one that's still going out of that list (except Tomorrow People and we'll ignore that as the reboot isn't anything like the 1970's job), I think it's a valid way to engage the readers. Now if you want to complain about the Reg reporting on fantasy TV, hold your ire for when they put out a Twilight article. Oh, and they do the occasional Bond piece too. Live with it.

1. x 7

" programmes like Dr Who, Blake's 7, Star Trek, Tomorrow People, Tomorrow's World"

Are you seriously suggested that Raymond Baxter and James Burke were presenting fantasy science fiction?

I could just about believe it regarding Maggie Philbin, but not those two. Actually can you imagine it - James Burke as The Doctor, with Maggie as his braniac assistant. What a missed opportunity to educate and also push women's lib to the fore.

Thinking about it a bit more........how about Judith Hann as "missy"

2. John 110
      Go

Because it's the weekend edition where the crew get to let their hair down (even Tim) perhaps. Is Dabbsy any less fantasy than Dr Who?

1. TRT Silver badge

I wonder if the barkeep for the Upper House in the Palace of Westminster calls "Time Lords and Ladies, please"?

2. IsJustabloke
        Trollface

"Is Dabbsy any less fantasy than Dr Who?"

Well, he doesn't feature in *my* fantasies.....

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clara's demise

Just watch "the walking dead" Season 4 "30 Days Without An Accident" to know what happens to Clara.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just as accusing someone of murder in late 1960s Vietnam was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy-500 then complaining about poor writing of Dr Who is somewhat ironic and futile ... Quite literally 'In the Night Garden' is written better. Dr Who is a national embarrassment in my opinion.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Its written to sell abroad, where the money is.

With the top brass selling off the remains of the BBC's production capability as part of their strategy to save their own jobs expect the rest of the BBC output to go the same way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like