back to article HP Enterprise will axe 25,000 to 30,000 staff

HP will cut between 25,000 and 30,000 jobs amid its restructuring overhaul. The troubled IT giant told analysts in San Jose, California, on Tuesday it will have to make the redundancies as part of an effort to trim $2.7bn from its books. The axe will fall in Hewlett Packard Enterprise, which is one half of the HP split that …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Financial Hocus Pocus

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-09-15/why-hewlett-packard-just-fired-another-30000

2. fidodogbreath
    Coffee/keyboard

Glad I'm out of there

I was at HP for eight years. I lost count of how many tens of thousands of people they laid off over that time period.

To the handful of my former co-workers who are still there, I say "GTFO." Working there is like bashing yourself in the head with a stick: it feels so good when you stop...

3. Ian Michael Gumby
    Boffin

Meh!

The simple truth is that its cheaper to take the head count hit, the financial hit short term and then hire new staff with the required skills as they retool. You could retrain the existing employees but that's an expensive prospect and will take longer.

Don't shoot the messenger. Its just common sense because they can use the split and re-org as cover.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

May not axe them might force them to work for "strategic partners"

Don't forget Meg's latest trick, forcing staff to work for a strategic partner at large salary cut and loss of benefits. Only time in <mumble> years at EDS & HP I've ever seen an American say a bad thing about the company on an internal social media platform, normally they are nauseatingly positive leaving the moaning to us Europeans.

5. circusmole

What happens when...

...they run out of people to dump?

1. Hans 1
      Unhappy

Re: What happens when...

This is not funny!

One our best commentards, Matt Bryant, works for HP. We have not heard from him in months, maybe he was dumped in the first wave.

Note that I disagree with almost everything Matt wrote on here. I have to admit, he is a talented evangelist and most importantly, was quite funny at times ... especially when he was trying hard not to be.

This is corporate greed blender in full action.

1. dedmonst

Re: What happens when...

Matt Bryant didn't work for HP

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Somehow I suspect this quote doesn't include the board...

"We’re exiting labor in high-cost countries," he said. "Our current workforce rebalancing will eliminate the need for further corporate restructuring."

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easily change this article to...

You could easily replace HP with IBM, CSC etc. The days of big outsourcing is over...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Easily change this article to...

Tell that to Accenture.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Easily change this article to...

Or more accurately... Lenovo, CSC, etc. It's all about who is relevant in the market these days.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remeber when

HP = PB?

Buy

Split

Cut

Rinse, Recycle. . .

My heart goes out to those who didn't see the light extinguished when they announced the "split"

1. Hans 1
      Unhappy

Re: Remeber when

In no specific order:

My heart goes out to those who didn't see the light extinguished when they dumped Alpha

My heart goes out to those who didn't see the light extinguished when they dumped Tru64

My heart goes out to those who didn't see the light extinguished when they dumped OpenVMS

My heart goes out to those who didn't see the light extinguished when they embraced iTanic

My heart goes out to those who didn't see the light extinguished when they bought Palm, yet still went on sucking Redmond genitalia

9. Sir Barry

It's just business

I understand companies are here to make a profit, but at a recent Corporate Responsibility seminar I heard the following statement:

"It is not how much profit you make, but how you make that profit".

The big wigs seem to have forgotten that there are people and families behind the numbers and are just chasing the corporate dollar.

Welcome back to the 80's " Greed is good" - Gordon Gekko

10. Down not across

"We’re exiting labor in high-cost countries," HP Enterprise's Mike Nefkens said. "Our current workforce rebalancing will eliminate the need for further corporate restructuring."

So, really its turning into another CSC, etc. Those are thirteen to a dozen. Just turn out the lights and stop tarnishing the whatever little might be left of the HP brand.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So glad I was CR'd last year from these awful, awful people. People there are effectively working on 45 day contracts, 45 days being the 'minimum consultation' the political wing of Wall Street/The City masquerading as out government have enacted. Every 45 days a new announcement of more redundancies despite taking bringing non EU staff by the plane full in to take over the supposedly none existent work they cite as a reason for having to let you go. Always a joy when said non EU staff try and apply mainframe patches by double clicking on the files on their Windows desktops...

To anyone still left in Enterprise Services UK - take the VR offers and get the hell out. You wouldn't believe how much better you sleep at night, how much better you feel when you a) realise that there are jobs out there and despite being made to feel Yay Big >< by HP you're actually qualified and suited for them and then b) you get to work for people who aren't spending every waking minute trying to figure out new ways of setting you up to fail whilst imploring you to 'Help the executives win!'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>> To anyone still left in Enterprise Services UK - take the VR offers and get the hell out

Tried three times... rejected each time.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Luke 11
    FAIL

Ruin at the hands of women.

Before you start attacking me for sexist comments I have two daughters. Women can do anything they set their mind to, just like men. However...

It appears that the biggest most savage cuts, and biggest changes at HP in the last 18 years have been brought about by two women. Carly Fiorina and Meg Whitman. I can't help but think to myself that neither of them know what they're doing.

As an enterprise customer we DESPISE being put through to a call center in India. Primarily because of the language gap and secondly because these people generally do not know what they're talking about.

The same is to be said for VMware support. You get someone in Ireland or Texas then you're onto a winner. You get some dude in wheverthehellabad and you might as well hang up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ruin at the hands of women.

Hard not to agree with these comments. Thankfully, I am a contractor but still...when he had some dead blades for a global Citrix project (and a bloody high percentage too - around 15%!!) for one of them that wouldn't get past POST before an error screen appeared and it rebooted itself - I was sent a BIOS upgrade....it was a .EXE.

When I pointed out that there was no OS to use to apply said BIOS upgrade they pointed me at the support pack to download the ISO.

Even after sharing my desktop, and showing them the problem they suggested patching the fucking BIOS.

The fact it was so hard to decipher their spoken words meant I had to insist on the use of IM otherwise it would have been terrible. It also meant, however, that I had a transcript of their incompetence.

I will give you no prize for guessing this was part of the so-called "best shore" team in India.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ruin at the hands of women.

It was Mark Hurd that gutted the company, gaining short term quarterly earnings, but trading away any chance of innovation and future success.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not again!

I am an HP employee and have woken up to see this news on the TV. There was not one hint of this decision internally - nothing, nada, zilch.

In the last meeting we had with our head of operations last month we were told that redundancies would not happen when the split occured as HP ES had already been trimmed down to the bone.Yet this morning we find that up to 30000 extra jobs are going.

The majority of those in our office this morning are now searching recruting websites for other jobs, because as one lady said "We have been loyal to HP and stayed put when all around us were leaving, yet we get lied to and kicked in the teeth".

How right she is.....

1. klaxhu

Re: Not again!

sorry, but it is your fault. you should have looked for a job long time ago!

do you ever follow the numbers of the company you work for? when I used to work for hp a lot used to drink the cool-aid and believe the BS and don't actually check the numbers/facts and position in the market

stop believing the BS and look out in the market, see who is doing well and just move (that is if you don't have -like 50% of the hp-ers- very watered down skills by the segregation in jobs/skills, making you unemployable)

good luck!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not again!

Whilst there was no hint internally this restructuring was discussed on the Q3 results con-call, the transcript of which is available on the HP public website - sometimes it is useful to at least scan these things.

Sadly these cuts were probably inevitable. ES revenue has fallen every quarter for years and the market is changing much quicker than the big lumbering organisation that is ES can respond.

Nefkens et al should remember though that they cannot cut their way to prosperity...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Id love to see the split of where the Job losses are comparing US&UK to France&Germany

15. future research
    1. klaxhu

Re: Still recruiting,

So much BS in that as well! they basically desire people with a ton of skills for half the money that the market is paying. I know people who applied for jobs that were on their skill level and they got not even an answer back. They were even told the job adverts were for only for external people ...but if you looked later they would just not hire anyone and maybe repost the job after months again.

This company is so going down and part of me is sad, but at the same time, a company is what the people make it and every time they got rid of people the good ones left and the bad apples remained. So no wonder there is no innovation, no drive and direction...

16. hahnchen

They should rename HP Enterprise to EDS. Make a clean break from the past.

17. Johnny_Punter

Money needs to be saved to cover the cost of developing a green HPE logo that someone likely paid billions of dollars to a marketing company to create.

18. luis river

Meg Whitman the "terminator" of HP, it has removed the bread to family parents' thousands, exactly 55.000 drops, more than the deads in the battle of gettysburg of the American civil war, it is a shame, it is a clamor that ascends to the sky for this great nonsense, the buyer IT it should consider all these things and to avoid any economic relationship with this company.

19. earl grey
    Facepalm

so they failed to grow the company

I'm assuming the top ranks of the corporation and the entire board of directors have resigned in shame...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like