back to article Record-breaking cosmonaut comes back down to Earth

International Space Station Expedition 44 commander Gennady Padalka is due to depart the orbiting outpost tomorrow, when he'll have clocked up a record total of 879 days in space. Padalka aboard the ISS. Pic: NASA Record-breaking Padalka aboard the ISS. Pic credit: NASA The 57-year-old Russian will be accompanied in the …

1. Busby

Best of luck to him once he's down, muscle atrophy has to be a worry and getting used to gravity again won't be much fun.

1. future research

I suspect he is used to returning to earth. The 879 days is his total time in space over the years, this trip has only been since March.

2. Little Mouse

According to my ISS tracker App, the ISS will be flying over my gaff whilst the capsule is docked, but it's not going to be bright enough for me to photograph.

I've taken a couple of snaps of the ISS in the past where the basic shape of the structure is clear to see, but have any commentards managed to do the same whilst a caspule was docked? Were there any visible differences?

3. Pen-y-gors

Advantages?

Are there any tax advantages to being off-planet for long periods of time? When will Google, Apple and Amazon move their official HQs to low-earth orbit?

1. Little Mouse

Re: Advantages?

I've seen enough James Bond films to know that when the heads of global corporations start meddling about in space then it's time for the rest of us to start worrying.

Oh. Hang on. Shit....

2. Rich 11

When will Google, Apple and Amazon move their official HQs to low-earth orbit?

The very moment they finish building their beanstalk.

If anyone spots them buying up vast tracts of land in Ecuador, do let me know.

3. Anonymous Blowhard

"Are there any tax advantages to being off-planet for long periods of time?"

Freeside here we come!

4. Martin Summers Silver badge

Now that'd be a hell of a commute.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

My banking agent lives in the Rue Jules Verne. Rendezvous at midnight.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm pretty sure that the new Apple headquarters is actually intended for low earth orbit. When they do the official opening it will be the "One more thing..."

4. Martin Summers Silver badge

Let's hope he didn't wear those special space pants the entire time. Wouldn't like to be the one doing the NASA laundry tomorrow.

5. Tom 7

Is he by any chance incubating

Trumps new syrup?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lack of gravity has wore on him well

looks younger and better in space that he did in the pre-launch pics. 10yrs younger without the saggy chops :)

1. Richard Ball

Re: lack of gravity has wore on him well

Looks like Christopher Reeve did after many years sitting back in a chair.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like