back to article Wikiland turns to Shapps and says ‘those emails you wanted, we deleted them, sorry’

Wikimedia UK, the national charity supporting Wikipedia and its sister projects, has told the MP and former Conservative Party chairman Grant Shapps he can't see internal emails he has requested under the Data Protection Act ... because it has deleted them. One of the charity's own staff was censured after being involved in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apart from spam

Who deletes emails?

2. casaloco

Cost?

I imagine the requests to search backup tapes for emails would be rejected on the grounds of cost.

1. Gordon 10
      Mushroom

Re: Cost?

I cant imagine anyone worth their salt is running an email system that doesn't have a red hot backup of 3-4 month old data.

I'm also very dubious that a decent size organisation - presumably with an enterprise level email system - has a policy that allows permanent deletes.

I bet they never even asked their email SA about it. Or if they did only to ask him to erase all traces.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Freedom of Information Act?

I thought the FOIA only applied to government bodies. What is brandishing it at WMUK supposed to achieve?

4. Merchman

Mrs Blurt

They could do a deal. Wikimedia hand over their emails when Michael Gove hands over the Mrs Blurt emails he was ordered to publish in 2012.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-17235168

5. Vimes

I'll start caring about the damage done to Shapps when he's thrown out of his party for his other activities. Even if the allegations weren't true in this case he's hardly whiter-than-white after all.

Can we file an FoIA request on Shapps and his activities as Michael Green? (what's good for the goose and all that)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/16/grant-shapps-urged-to-quit-over-second-job-under-michael-green-pseudonym

6. Tom Wood

Do you mean Data Protection Act?

The FoI act only applies to public bodies, doesn't it?

A Subject Access Request is a thing where you can get data held on you by a company or organisation under the terms of the Data Protection Act.

7. Test Man

They are either lying or legally incompetant. Or both. But definitely not neither.

8. Jason Hindle

So deleted....

Presumably in line with Wikimedia's approved retention policy, which is fully in line with industry best practice? How can Michael Green possibly object to that?

9. Tom7

Surely acting in a partisan manner during a general election is acting in a partisan manner during a general election, whether the opposition won or not? The only relief to be felt that Shapps didn't lose his seat should be because he's probably a bit less determined for vengeance.

10. Merchman

Mrs Blurt

Maybe a deal can be reached. Wikimedia will hand over their emails when Michael Gove hands over the 'Mrs Blurt' emails, that he was told to publish in 2012.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-17235168

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FOI?

How does FOI apply to Wikimedia? Being a charity doesn't make you subject to FOI.

1. Chris Miller

Re: FOI?

FoI does apply if a charity gets a significant portion of its funding from government - as many 'charities' do , but not (I think) WikiMedia.

1. Jonathan Richards 1

Re: FOI?

> FoI does apply if a charity gets a significant portion of its funding from government

Ummm... unless you have some evidence for that, I'm not convinced. The Act says it is An Act to make provision for the disclosure of information held by public authorities or by persons providing services for them, and it defines 'public authorities' in a long inclusive list at Schedule 1, which includes exactly no charities at all. I could just about see how some of the "charities" which are really sub-contractors to Government departments might get hauled in, after some wrangling, but merely getting a chunk of money from public sources does not make a charity subject to the FOIA, as far as I can see. IANAL, of course.

12. LegalAlien

Data Protection Act? Not FOIA

A personal data "subject access request" is made under the Data Protection Act 1998, I think you've wrongly stated the Freedom of Information Act, which applies to getting (non personal data) from public authorities....

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

if Shapps is having trouble getting the information he wants..

Then maybe his buddies at Cheltenham could help him out. From what i hear, they would probably have a backup or two.

14. wolfetone Silver badge
    Happy

Well he'll have no problem with this, seeing as Michael Gove wants the FoI to be relaxed and allow such things to take place.

But, then again, it may only apply to Conservative policies and decisions, not to those outside of the party.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon