back to article The Register WHEELY needs YOU to help raise charity funds

The biggest event on Sydney's cycling calendar is the annual "Gong Ride", a 90km trip from Sydney to Wollongong. And this year, The Register wants you to join Australian editor Simon Sharwood on the ride, to help raise funds for MS Australia. We're putting our lycra where our mouth is: Vulture South convinced the operators of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a thought

You have a CnC link above which leads to a page lacking the shirt. Put it on there with a say 5-10GBP (or equivalent) markup for the charity on it and see if it sells (it will). Make sure the donation part is spelt out and job's a good 'un.

There's no reason why a nifty design created for a bunch of Southerners doesn't sell up North as well and benefit all of humanity. Let's not get parochial here: MS is a dreadful disease wherever you are from and any well conceived initiative to raise funds for combatting it, regardless of where they are spent (hopefully collaboratively), is a good thing.

1. Edwin

Re: Just a thought

Fully agree, and let's also not forget there're more MAMILs in the northern hemisphere!

2. Robin

+1 .. I'd definitely buy one of these

3. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

The shirt will be on sale to all. And I do like the premium pricing option. Will raise it with the relevant authorities.

1. Edwin
        Happy

Cool! Where do we sign up 'to be informed'?

2. Unep Eurobats
    Thumb Up

Sounds like a great ride

More than 50 miles though, so a substantial achievement unless you're a regular club rider.

Any chance of an IT angle? We could follow Simon's training on Strava, maybe? Suggestions for post-ride nosh neckfillers? Drone action-cam footage?

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Sounds like a great ride

I'll certainly be posting Strava stuff. In fact I recorded a single ride on Strava with two phones this week, with interesting results. Will try same experiment on longer ride this weekend.

Am also contemplating using Periscope during the ride, to live-stream it from the handlebars. The ride goes through some mobile blackspots,but I'll see what's doable.

3. Tim Worstal

90 klicks?

Doable but would hurt ......well, would hurt me anyway.

C'mon down and do the ride. I've a bike made of conflict aluminium for you!

4. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Thumb Up

UK Ride please

I'm in.

5. Titus Aduxass
    Pint

If you can't wait for the Gong ride...

...then next week (Sunday 16th Aug) there's the 1,200km Paris Brest Paris ride.

Don't think I can get a Vulture Velo shirt in time tho.

6. as2003

Pretty tempted to come along for the ride

How can we get you from tempted to committed?

1. as2003

Ok, I'm in!

7. Sampler

Count me in..

Just joined the team, was doing the ride anyway having enjoyed doing it last year - though it killed my back, not sure if my bike's not set-up right or too small - fine on the ~13km commute from Brighton-le-Sands to Surry Hills each day.

Missed this article when it was first posted and came here via the 'digital doping' link - I've done a similar test some time ago with a handful of smartphones I had, all HTC's (Prophet, Kaiser and Rhodium - yeah, Windows Mobile 6, I said it was some time ago) and had a similar experience.

Ultimately we're relying on signals beamed from space so I expect some differences, could even be down to the number/which satellites the devices were picking up - as I recall the Prophet would consistently pick up two-three less birds than the Kaiser. I figure this accounts for the biggest difference in the Z axis (though Z axis is always ropey at best in my experience).

Also - good idea on the mountain bike, I picked up a road bike (well, touring bike) and regret it on the state of Sydney's roads, mountain bike seems to be the far wiser choice!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like