back to article Samsung emits mobe charging monitor. For your 'active lifestyle'

Samsung's latest SE370 monitor will have a wireless charging pad built into its plinth. This aims to de-clutter office drones' desks, or at least provide more space for other forms of clutter. The pad uses the Qi wireless charging standard, and while Samsung swings both ways as a member of both the Wireless Power Consortium ( …

1. phil dude
    Coat

marketing much?

Surely non-AMD cards can also synchronize the screen....?

Or am I misunderstanding the OpenGL sync parameters?

P.

1. JP19

Re: marketing much?

"Surely non-AMD cards can also synchronize"

Presumably this is the AMD equivalent of nVidia's Gsync where the screen refresh syncs with the graphics card having rendered a new frame.

So the 'Active Lifestyle' is apparently sitting on your arse in front of a screen playing games.

1. phil dude
        Coat

Re: marketing much?

Thanks, that is exactly what I was referring too.

The journalism process failed to mention this...

P.

2. John Robson Silver badge

Plinth?

Don't think I've used a monitor or TV anything other than VESA mounted to a pole or the wall for about 5 years...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Nicely put

"This presumably refers to the kind of active lifestyle where you sit at your desk"

4. WonkoTheSane

Been done

Ikea also sell lamps & bedside tables with built-in charging pads.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

Re: Been done

It's also pretty easy to buy a cheap Qi pad on eBay, rip the guts out, and use them to convert pretty much anything you want. I've had one glued to the underside of the phone tray in my car since early last year, works really well.

GJC

5. future research

Wireless charging is bad.

I have the charging port on my Nexus 4 break so tried wireless charging for a bit, god how I hate it. I would put it on my bedside table at night a half the time the phone has moved slightly in the night to stop it charging. My problem with wireless charging is..

1) You can not use the phone while it is charging.

2) It seems to use twice the power to charge the phone. My wireless charging pad stated 2A at 5V input gave 1A at 5V output.

3) If a butterfly is in the room the phone moves of the wireless charging area. (probably not helped by the super slippery glass back on the Nexus 4.

4) You have to remove any phone protectors for it to work.

The only benefit is it gives you is hope you may be able to charge the phone when the USB port is broken. Although this seemed to cause lots of frustration in the morning. ans constant hell at work trying to charge it.

1. Gomez Adams

Re: Wireless charging is bad.

I don't have any of those problems using wireless charging on my Lumia 820 in its bumper case and range of wireless chargers including a combined power pack / wireless charger. Suggest it is your Nexus that has a poor implementation.

1. future research

Interesting, does your phone protector cover the back, or does it just protect the edges?

Even, if wireless charging did work for me, I would still want to plug it in to charge if I wanted to use it as well.

1. Thecowking

My nexus 4 has been only charged wirelessly for about 2 years now. I pop it on the charger before I sleep and it has a cover on to prevent slipping (The nexus 4 appears to have achieved a perfectly frictionless back) and it's fine.

So yeah, anecdotal data is anecdotal.

1. phil dude
            Coat

The plural of anecdote is not data...

P.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

plinth?

plinth? is that anywhere near the base of the monitor?

7. Bucky 2

Scrabble

Scrabble rules usually disallow foreign words and phrases. Is "qi" now officially an English word with a foreign origin?

God, do I feel old.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Scrabble

@Bucky 2

QI has been a well known "2 letter scrabble word" for a long while - certainly more than a decade, probably longer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like