back to article Yahoo! reverses! reversal! FLIPS! profit! into! loss!

Yahoo! has reported a $22m loss for its second quarter, as CEO Marissa Mayer tries to buy market share off Google and Facebook. For the same period last year, the ad business booked a $270m profit, so the quarter represents a slump of nearly $300m. The loss, which Reuters briefly described as a “lower-than-expected profit” …

1. Charles Manning

Of course "party girl" is pleased...

Nobody's fired her yet and she still gets to take home a pile. She's managed to keep this gig going for 3 years now... Pretty impressive.

In a place like YaWho? you'd expect the knives to be out and CEOs changing like presidents in a 1970s South American dictatorship.

Still, YHOO is pretty much at the same value as 10 years ago, and almost 2.5x what it was since she arrived, so the stock holders will be happy. It's a head-scratch how a company can bleed red ink for years and keep going up...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Re: Of course "party girl" is pleased...

> It's a head-scratch how a company can bleed red ink for years and keep going up...

1. Yahoo is not a company. It hasn't been for at least a decade. It's the Internet's garbage landfill.

2. In Silicon Valley, bleeding red ink for years on end demonstrates great upside potential. On the other hand, showing a profit, no matter how small, demonstrates "maturity", "post-peak" and "obsolescense".

2. ratfox

It's a head-scratch how a company can bleed red ink for years and keep going up...

What are you talking about? They have not been bleeding red ink. Were it not for that augmentation in traffic acquisition costs, they would have made a profit, same as every quarter since many years.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

I don't understand why Yahoo! still exists.

I visited yahoo.com just now and it's like stepping back to the 90s with news stories even the Daily Mail might deem too fluffy, and added Buzzfeed and Taboola nonsense ('13 weird old reasons why famous rich people want Dwarves banned' and so on). It's even worse than bt.com, my general yardstick of all that's woeful.

I presume the only people who uses this site are those who have it set as their homepage and who haven't yet mastered their browser's address bar, Google or bookmarks.

1. cd

People who use it find it with Google. Every time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like