back to article Toshiba CEO and execs quit over $1.2bn six-year accounting scandal

Toshiba CEO Hisao Tanaka and seven other bigwigs have quit after a probe concluded profit figures had been inflated beyond their real values. The Japanese electronics giant said in a brief statement [PDF] today that $1.2bn (£770m, 151.8bn yen) was incorrectly added to Toshiba's income-before-tax figures in the 2008 to 2014 …

1. Javapapa

Don't they have accountants in Japan?

Or is it the old "the nail that sticks up is soon hammered down" culture regarding reluctance to warn the boss of bad news?

1. joed

Re: Don't they have accountants in Japan?

maybe they just wanted to impress stockholders with huge tax return (after 10 year of overpaying)

1. Shannon Jacobs
        Holmes

Writing as a long-time shareholder in Toshiba, I am certainly not impressed. However, I don't really blame Toshiba or the accountants as much as the irrational or even insane uber-profit pressures that drove them to do it.

It seems to me that the fundamental problem is that Toshiba is basically a commodity company, and commodities don't get any stock-market respect these days. Small profits are NOT acceptable, especially combined with the risk of a major loss in a bad year. There is a kind of fundamental mismatch between being a "glamorous" high-tech company and earning small profits because you are mostly producing commodity goods. Always lots of competitors trying to produce and sell any commodity, but if your profits are too small because of that reality, the falling stock price and lower market cap make the company too vulnerable to financial shenanigans.

Time for a tortured metaphor? What really worries me is that Toshiba is NOT the brightest star in this barrel of starfish. Not a trailblazing company these days (if indeed they ever were), and so it is quite likely that some other Japanese high-tech companies have been playing similar games. Things seem too quiet out there?

Fishing (mentally) for an example candidate... On the surface, I can't see the similarities between Toshiba's problems and Sony's, but Sony has been more of a trailblazer, so the framing would naturally be different. Maybe the underlying problems can be seen as similar from some perspective?

1. drexciya
          Thumb Up

I agree with your take on the pressure exerted on companies by the financials and stock exchange. I recently had a student from a big international IT firm and he told me that it's completely insane. The company in question makes nice profits, but if the profits are not according to expectations, then all hell breaks lose.

To get the stock from dropping, measures are being taken, like randomly cutting personnel (which has proven to be a bad idea, they go about that differently now) and cost cutting taken to extremes (like revoking expenses for a conference which was already paid for). If you really think deeper on this, it almost becomes terrifying. Instead of just boringly delivering a good product and decent profits, companies are partially driven by the whims of the stock exchange and financial markets.

I think the move to go private by Dell has been a very good idea; why let yourself be vulnerable to all the stupidity, driving the current markets, and prevent yourself from just executing a longer term strategy?

2. PeterM42
    Pirate

So......

......are these gentlemen going to fall on their swords?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Steal a tenner and go to jail

Steal millions in shares and profits by false accounting, go free to live on your Yacht.

Bullshit bastard Execs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like