back to article Get ready: 'Critical' Adobe Reader patches coming on Tuesday 12 May

Adobe has pre-announced plans to release cross-platform security updates for Adobe Reader and Acrobat next Tuesday (12 May). Windows and Mac versions of Adobe Reader XI (11.0.10, 10.1.13) as well as Adobe Acrobat XI (11.0.10, 10.1.13) will all need patching against (unspecified) critical vulnerabilities in the software. Adobe …

1. joeW

At this stage, would it not be easier for you to write an article when Adobe isn't going to release a patch for critical bugs?

1. Ole Juul

Speaking of announcements, does anybody know the difference between "pre-announced plans" as the article states, and the good old fashioned "announced plans"?

1. TheVogon

"does anybody know the difference between "pre-announced plans" as the article states, and the good old fashioned "announced plans"?"

"Pre-announced" generally means that you give an outline warning in advance of the details.

2. big_D Silver badge

Yeah, I've given up on Flash and de-installed / disabled it in all browsers. I rarely use the Adobe Reader these days. The built-in reader in Firefox is okay for most things and I like the Windows 8 Reader app, making annotations is useful, but the full-screen mode is a bit of a pain when I'm working on the SP3 without an external display.

3. BruceR

The last critical patch for Adobe Reader was eight months ago.

2. Refugee from Windows

Too late

Acrobat Reader is but a memory, I'm afraid I ditched it six months ago, so I'll be missing this one. I wonder how much of the original code is left?

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Too late

Acrobat Reader is but a memory

I am quite happy to have done the same some time back. Anecdotally, many home users have too, at least among my friends and family. I suspect that this mostly affects business and government organizations, so it is still likely to have a large impact.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too late

"I'm afraid I ditched it six months ago"

I havn't used it for years. Does the crap still insist on placing an annoying an unwanted icon on the desktop? It being one of the few applications that you never ever need to open directly...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Patching or Upgrading?

If there isn't a patch and we are forced to "Upgrade" (really a downgrade) to the abomination that is Adobe reader DC. then i will need to be looking for an alternative.

Offering you all these "Cloud" options and subscription services. the people i support just need to "read" PDFs and are of a certain age where these other items just confuse them.

4. Lostintranslation

I haven't had that trash installed for years.

Can I recommend the free PDF-Xchange reader to anyone who has a choice about what they install on their machines?

http://download.cnet.com/PDF-XChange-Viewer/3000-10743_4-10598377.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or http://www.tracker-software.com/product/downloads - from the home site, if you think cnet is almost as bad as Adobe.

5. Terry 6 Silver badge

Wait!!!

You mean you can also use an Adobe product to read PDFs?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Just thought I would mention

that OS X has its own pdf ready.

Just saying really, not trying to bait/windup DV

7. Tree
    Flame

Adobe Acrobat Reader

I loved Reader 4. You could not have all these bad things like flash and active-X to ruin yolur day. It was also fast and lightweight. Why do we need a version that allows you to surf the web, play videos and get infected? Reader 5.1 ruined things and the current version is a real hog. All I want to do is read PDF files.

8. codger
    Go

Security - whose?

We all agree to install "Security Updates" to get our products. That would be the security of the US, right? Sleep well.

9. AndrewDu

Foxit is your friend.

Adobe is not.

Also totally fed up with FireFox blocking Flash every other day (actually EVERY day, this week).

When can we dump this crap?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like