back to article New Google APIs: Point your phone at a telly like a streaming hose of vid

Google has mashed the Processing graphics language into its Cast software, letting visual artists and others with a bent for graphics point their creations at the nearest big-screen TV. The project even seems to hint at a possible games angle: an Android device like a mobile phone can be used as a controller of the displayed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slow news day?

"Google has mashed the Processing graphics language into its Cast software"

Mashed? Oh, right, thats Millennial speak for "added".

"but until now, the language lacked remote display capability."

Whats this got to do with the language, surely thats the job of the OS/Graphics layer? Oh wait, the kids haven't yet rediscovered transparent graphics networking as developed for X windows in the 1980s. Oh well, give them time. No doubt it'll be the Hot New Thing(tm) in 5 years time.

1. ratfox

Re: Slow news day?

People keep reimplementing stuff that already exists on the new abstraction layer, because they don't understand how the old one works…

Oh, and everybody is trying to have all features, which duplicates everything. If I want to watch a YouTube video on my TV, I can use the YouTube app of the set-top box, I can cast it to the A/V receiver, or I can cast it directly to the TV. Without counting the different ways I can surf the web on my TV, then go to youtube.com.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Holy Hell. That's what I want: an X display app for my Samsung Smart TV.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Linux

"Holy Hell. That's what I want: an X display app for my Samsung Smart TV."

Since that TV is almost certainly running embedded Linux thats not quite such a stretch as you might imagine!

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Bit difficult to tell from the article, but...

So whereas before it was like passing a WMF file to be processed by the Chromecast it now processes it instruction by instruction on the phone and the Chromecast mirrors the change?

Sounds like a good way of emptying the battery.

3. Jad

New google gaming console, no wires?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like