back to article OOH, it's so HOT in here! All my ATMOSPHERE is coming off

Thirty-three light years away from us – quite close by astronomical standards – Hubble has found a surprisingly large gas cloud near an exoplanet. What's got the Hubble Space Telescope crowd excited is that the gas cloud is huge – around 50 times the size of the parent star – and seems to be atmosphere evaporating away from …

1. Chris Miller

The Integral Trees

Larry Niven (perhaps not one of his best, but still nominated for a Nebula and a Hugo)

2. Rikkeh

In a moment of stupidity...

...I thought the artist's impression that has been used to illustrate this article (and elsewhere) was the actual photo.

Still, extremely exciting stuff. Looking at the planets orbiting another star- mind blowing.

3. Mark 85

Amazing Picture...

I pulled down the full size image... and it now sits on my desktop.. Even more amazing when it's bigger.

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2015/17/image/a/

1. Pookietoo

Re: Amazing Picture...

"Artist's Concept"???

My desktop wallpaper is a real Hubble image, part of one of these.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Gliese 436

Yes, well isn't that where all that Facebook inanity was sent? I assume the signal has entered a micro blackhole, wormed it's way to the near vicinity of Gliese 436, exited from a micro white hole and they all just farted in fright. Facebook may be responsible for the first interstellar genocide..

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Gliese 436

A quick search on "Gliese"[1] reveals it was Bebo[2] and Gliese 581.

Now if they were out when it arrived at 581 and it got left at 436 by the postman......

[1] Yes, there is a search facility here.

[2] A week may well be a long time in politics, but a couple of years is an entire lifetime on the internet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like