back to article Google to take another shot at a free Wi-Fi business

Google side-project Sidewalk Labs is buying the companies running New York's LyncNYC project that offers public Wi-Fi from payphones, in the hope of one day achieving World DominationTM. It's not the Chocolate Factory's first free Wi-Fi in New York – that honour goes to the free zone around its Chelsea offices – but this time …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

And so...

..google can track you, no matter where you are.

2. Elmer Phud

But they can't be Eeeeeeeville - they give us Chrome for free! (and now 'Chrome Krunch', a copy of Chrome with every packet of Cornflakes - well, feck it -- it comes with everything fekking else!)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder what this will do to the mobile phone market

If you've got free wifi then you can surf/Skype/chat for free. If this happens in other major cities it could have an interesting effect on mobile markets: do I really need EE/Vodafone/etc if I can do 99% of my mobile networking for free?

I would keep a sim as a backup but it would probably be pay as you go or a very cheap contract

1. Oddlegs

Re: I wonder what this will do to the mobile phone market

I see it the other way round. 5-10 years ago (when Google first tried) this would have been great due to the state and expense of high speed mobile networks. Nowadays mobile data connections are (for the most part) fast enough and reliable enough that when I get to a location offering free wifi I just don't bother.

Free, ubiquitous wifi only works if it's just that: present absolutely everywhere. If you're still going to need a backup mobile network for the times you're in a park, the countryside or just any black spot then why not just use it everywhere?

1. Sanctimonious Prick
        Happy

@Oddlegs

Free is free, man! :)

Mobile data in AU isn't exactly cheap, with average quotas of just 6GB. And as that's also my main Internet connection (due to my dwelling type, not location), getting some free gigabytes would be fantasmo! :)

Have fun!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

6gb and you're complaining, should see the Canadian market. Recently had the fun of watching a new expat British person trying to get a new mobile phone while I was sorting out some account details. Was a string of how much, and all I get is that little, also the look on the staff face when I suggested to him he check the definition of local and if he was heading out of the city what their coverage was

2. tesmith47

because everyone does NOT have "UNLIMITED" data

4. Wolfclaw
    Big Brother

Freeish

Google will be recording everything you say and do to help their spook mates, but carriers are doing that anyway using legal or illegal means !

5. ukgnome
    Trollface

Norwich in 2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5297884.stm

I do hope they manage quicker speeds though...

6. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    FAIL

Been there

I never witnessed any city-scale free WiFi working, including Google's free WiFi in their hometown of Mountain View. You can't throw a bunch of repeaters on lamp posts and call it done. Too many laptops are infected with malware that will saturate the network. While Google loves calling out 0day exploits in other products, they're deaf to reports of their own products being abused.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like