back to article LOHAN'S PRATCHETT mission set to soar Saturday

Barring a last-minute change in the predicted weather, our US allies at Edge Research Laboratory will on Saturday dispatch the last Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) test payload into the stratosphere over Colorado. The mission – codenamed PRATCHETT in honour of the late Discworld author Sir Terry – is a final test …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

make it good

I'm preparing my very best "Woooo!"

2. Sporkinum

I probably missed it..but..

Why are you using 4 servos, when 2 or 3 would do? I don't see anything for ailerons, so you wouldn't need a servo for those. Could you go into more detail on the mechanical linkages for the flying surfaces?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: I probably missed it..but..

Each canard has to have an individual servo, which is connected via pushrod: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/20/vulture_canard_woes/?page=2

The wingtip rudders could conceivably operate off of single servo, but the connections would be a nightmare. There's a single servo mounted in each wing, connected to its respective rudder by a Gold-N-Rod system.

1. Sporkinum

Re: I probably missed it..but..

Thanks for posting the link. I had missed that article. So the canards are used for pitch and roll, with software doing the mixing?

Re: Re: I probably missed it..but..

Correct. The Pixhawk takes care of the pitch/roll attitude, using the two canards independently.

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

It's got to be a million-to-one chance

because million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Fingers crossed for a perfect Pratchett project performance!

4. Anonymous Custard
    Thumb Up

God(s) Speed...

And may you have a potent voyage!

5. Neil Hawkins

Remove Before Flight

That Remove Before Flight ribbon is missing something.... the Reg logo. There's a Cash'n'Carrion idea for a key fob :-)

Re: Remove Before Flight

I like that.

6. Elmer Phud

Presumably there will be a Playmobil character dressed as Rincewind.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Joke

There was, but he heard about the mission and ran away...

7. imanidiot Silver badge

Still think the layout is flawed

In the real LOHAN the servoes will be much more exposed, with only a thin bit of nylon separating them from the cold (and possibly some seems to let cold air blow in). In the PRATCHETT payload the servos and batteries are mounted inside a nice insulated box, so will stay warmer because of that.

Ofcourse I hope I'm wrong, and in any case it'll provide valuable data.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Still think the layout is flawed

Arghhh, for seems, read seams.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon