back to article Webcast: How to survive Windows Server 2003 end of life - safely

On July 14 2015, support ends on Windows Server 2003, but don’t panic – we have a live broadcast on June 12 at 11:00 BST, that will feature Freeform Dynamics and Trend Micro, telling you everything you need to know to handle WS2003 EoS securely, in three parts: First, Freeform's DarkLord Tony Lock shows you where your Windows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lee D Silver badge

Fourth, a seminar from myself on how if it's taken you this long to do the above, that you shouldn't be doing the job you're doing. With a side-talk from my cat about how "My boss wouldn't let me / I didn't have the funds / Management blocked it" is only an excuse when you're the one responsible for it and those same bosses/management will sack you if something goes wrong because you DIDN'T upgrade in time.

Responsibility for something = capability to fix it, or you don't have responsibility. If you're not responsible, not your problem, but I bet someone is and if you don't know who - it's you. If you're responsible but "not allowed", then it's time to gather your things as you're the scapegoat that never stood up to say "No. We need this. It isn't optional."

1. vmistery

As soon as your boss blocks it it ceases to be your responsibility. How can you be responsible for something out of your hands?

1. InNY

That's not a problem for many bosses. No matter what the problem is, it's your fault and responsibility.

2. depicus
      Boffin

Why ?

Why do you feel the need to upgrade because you are told to ? A well secured 2003 server is still 1000 times more secure than a poorly secured Windows 2012 server. I'd sack the idiot who thinks upgrading creates a better sense of security rather than the person who has a secure network and isn't held to upgrade ransom.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why ?

Because Freeform Dynamics and Trend Micro have no chance of making any money from you if you don't upgrade.

2. CAPS LOCK

Bored with this now...

... let's stop hearing about it shall we?

3. Hans 1
    Unhappy

Bias ?

hans@pchans ~

$ grep Office register_videos.txt

Office 365: User and Device Management Tutorial

Office 365: Unified Communications Tutorial

Office 365 Tutorial

Office 365: Email Migration Tutorial

Office 365 in the real world

Office 365

Does Office 365 keep its promises?

hans@pchans ~

$ grep Microsoft register_videos.txt

Webcast - The Register Microsoft Azure - QA

Windows Phone 8.1: Microsoft's pitch for the enterprise

2014 Microsoft Windows Phone 8.1 and enterprise mobility summit

Microsoft Azure Tutorial

Inside Microsoft's Cloud OS

hans@pchans ~

$ grep Linux register_videos.txt

Managing large Linux workloads with IBM system Z

hans@pchans ~

$ grep RedHat register_videos.txt

hans@pchans ~

$ grep Amazon register_videos.txt

Ditch your dullard Facebook mates and let Amazon listen to everything you say...

hans@pchans ~

$ grep Google register_videos.txt

Osborne hits tech firms with a 'Google tax' and the FBI uses ancient writs to snoop on you

HP's split-up, UK.gov's £150m TWO base station splurge and Google vs NSA ... all on Vulture News

hans@pchans ~

$ grep HP register_videos.txt

Webcast - The Register HP Flash storage

HP's split-up, UK.gov's £150m TWO base station splurge and Google vs NSA ... all on Vulture News

The Register Webcast HP Converged Infrastructure

How to simplify storage management: Webinar with HP

Virtual Application Networking: HP's take on SDN

HPC Power & Cooling: The Oak Ridge way

HPC and its growing reach - The Register talks HPC with Intel

hans@pchans ~

$ grep Sun register_videos.txt

The Register Webcast Sungard

hans@pchans ~

$ grep Oracle register_videos.txt

hans@pchans ~

$ grep Open register_videos.txt

All about OpenStack

hans@pchans ~

$ grep Free register_videos.txt

hans@pchans ~

$ grep bias register_videos.txt

4. Hans 1

Puppet/OpenLDAP/Samba

A kind request to you guyz to show us some FS solutions.

Puppet: have a look at it, see how well it integrates with devices (servers, workstations, tablets, phones from various vendors)

Samba: How well does samba emulate a AD with Windows 7/8 clients, how well does it integrate into existing AD infrastructures as a DC.

OpenOffice: A number of public institutions, in France at least, seem to favor LibreOffice over MS Office (Tresor Public - Impots (taxman), Gendarmerie, vaurious councils). They have integrated it into their IT systems.

PostgreSQL: A worthy database for the data center ?

Amazon/Google/RedHat cloud services ?

What does Google Apps offer ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like