back to article Oi ICANN, you want the keys to the internet throne room? Open up to Freedom of Info law

A revised version of the Defending Internet Freedom Act has been introduced to US Congress – and its contents are surprising. Last year, Congressman Mike Kelly (R-PA) put forward legislation under the same name to cover the proposed transition of the critical IANA contract from the hands of the US government to an as-yet …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a thought

Today Sepp Blatter, tomorrow ICANN?

2. Michael Seven

Also include that .com stays in the USA permanently. Most businesses in America have a .com and that needs to stay consistent for the stability of their commerce. Fadi Chehadé challenged that .com was over registered and allowed for thousands of new gTLD to be registered and managed by the global community. They get thousands of choices we want .com.

1. Graham Marsden
      Thumb Down

.com doesn't belong to the USA!

The USA has .co.us (although hardly anyone uses it) but there is nothing to stop anyone else anywhere else in the world from registering a .com address.

1. Snowman

Re: .com doesn't belong to the USA!

Technically it is still under some use administration, just they have tended to contract that out to be administered by Verisign for a long time, though it apparently still falls under US legal jurisdiction. Granted there are elements of the US goverment trying to extend legal reach to every other country regardless, but that is a whole other topic. Back to the point the curent lease is up in 2018 if they want to take that back over, which is unlikely.

2. Michael Seven

Never said that the US owns .com. America is the best place to manage it. Currently it is less than $10 to renew and there is legal recourse through the US judicial system if needed. The terms look good to me. Putting it somewhere else is good for what reason? I would be interested in hearing what that is other than; "the US controls too much" or "the NSA".

1. Graham Marsden
          Stop

> there is legal recourse through the US judicial system if needed. The terms look good to me

And would you happen to be from the left hand side of the Pond, perchance?

(Of course we all know how "fair" and "impartial" and "unbiased" the US legal system is...)

3. Claptrap314 Silver badge

I understand that people don't like the idea of the US continuing to hold a high level of control over the IANA contract. What I don't get is that ANYONE thinks it is acceptable to increase the power of an organization (ICANN) that operates in a way that would make FIFA blush.

Seriously, however, we're a long way from having an agent in place which can be expected to out-perform the US government here--which is a really low bar, I know.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like