back to article Nokia declares war on data centres to win back telco customers

The IT world doesn’t understand the telco industry and Nokia is here to save the day, with the launch of its AirFrame Data Centre Solution, which aims to wrest business from traditional data centres. The Nokia designed accelerator cards are aimed at the mobile protocols. This offloads the radio applications from the main CPU …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"act and think differently"

Nokia has always been good at both - that is acting differently to how they think and thinking differently to how they act. See also: three-legged race, pantomime pony

1. Mage Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: "act and think differently"

When they proposed making Sat boxes and TVs instead of welly boots people laughed

When they proposed making phones instead of Sat boxes and TVs people laughed.

They are still a quite large telecom infrastructure company, having absorbed the Siemens and Motorola sub divisions that did the same stuff.

It could be a Robin Reliant or a Volvo.

1. Lars Silver badge
        Happy

" having absorbed the Siemens and Motorola sub divisions" I think you ment Siemens and Alcatel-Lucent.

There are Ericsson (since the beginning of time), Nokia networks and the new kid in town, Huawei, and in that order. Nokia made modems long before cell phones existed. And I believe it's better with three than with one or two.

Volvo, yes why not, had two good ones, but Volvo is owned by the Chinese now. They wated to join Reault but the Swedish owners did not see the sign on the wall, and after more dump decisions they had to sell out to the Chinese. To make a long and dumb journey short.

1. JetSetJim

> " having absorbed the Siemens and Motorola sub divisions" I think you ment Siemens and Alcatel-Lucent.

No, it's all three. Siemens first, and the transition to "Nokia-Siemens Networks", then Motorola wireless division - which was basically bought for contracts and access to the N. American market (which didn't pay off), rather than kit. Currently they are proceeding through the acquisition of ALU wireless division, again for contracts and access to N. American market. By inference, this also absorbs Nortel, as that's buried somewhere deep inside ALU, and don't forget that ALU is also a conglomeration of Alcatel and Lucent Technologies.

So there's a whole bundle of stuff inside the NSN-Moto-ALU(NT) basket.

Anyhow, good on them for playing in the cloudy market. As usual, PR-speak on their part is saying they're "first", but there are private cloudy data centres being installed already in a whole bunch of telco operator premises.

Not sure I'd want (as an operator) to rent space/time on it out to third parties, unless it's physically partitioned off from my own data.

2. Jim 59

They need to think in Finish and not in Microsoft.

1. Edwin

Microsoft?

I think you need to read up on Nokia and Nokia Siemens history 2007-present.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like