back to article Choose Deutsche Telekom for all your bargain spying needs

An Austrian newspaper has published what it claims is evidence that Deutsche Telekom spied on Vienna for German spooks for the miserly sum of just €6,500 a year. On Tuesday, Peter Pilz publicly accused Deutsche Telekom of listening in on telephone and internet lines from Vienna, Luxembourg, Prague, Moscow and Ankara and …

1. Vimes

Is anybody really surprised by this given that their partners have previously included the likes of Vodafone? (or should that be Gerontic?)

1. big_D Silver badge

I'm surprised, Deutsche Telekom are normally rip-off merchants!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ever wondered why there are so many TOR nodes in Germany?

3. Bloakey1

Hmmm. I might have some work for them. They seem to be the Aldi of international data slurpers. Perhaps I could sell some of their product to the UK.

1. big_D Silver badge

I know why it is so cheap, they tried to stiff this month for a contract we never signed up to... After 4 years of the non-existent contract not running, they sent us a bill for nearly 6K...

4. OliverJ
    FAIL

Verizon

It is perhaps illustrating or amusing to note that, only quite recently, the German Bundestag (parliament) kicked out Verizon when it transpired that the US based company was allegedly giving assistance to the NSA eavesdropping on foreign nationals. Oopsie.

5. Mephistro
    Flame

It's about time...

... the EU does something regarding this shit, in Germany and other countries. Mass data interception without proper judiciary oversight? See where this takes us in a few years more.

And I'm quite disillusioned with Germany for allowing this to happen. Having suffered two totalitarian regimes for almost fifty years, one would expect them to be aware of the consequences of trampling citizens right to privacy.

6. regadpellagru

Interesting

To see the BND has acted as a proxy to NSA. It seems Germany wanted to keep control, but was disturbingly keen enough to pass on non-terrorist intel to the US ...

Deutsch Telekom's response is surprisingly honest, franck and out of the usual bullshit on those matters.

Kuddos to the PR bloke.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like