back to article Lightbulbs of the future will come with wireless extenders and speakers

There was a lot of clunky technology, standards fretting, evangelizing and platform promotion going on at the Internet of Things World 2015 conference in San Francisco this week, but a few bright ideas. Sengled is a Chinese lightbulb manufacturer based in Shanghai with offices in Europe and the US and it has traditionally sold …

1. Gannettt

Well, I suppose stereos have lights on them, so why not?

Seriously,t hough, talk about a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!

1. PleebSmash

I think it's an idea that could work for somebody. Especially in rooms with a couple of light fixtures. Put it several rooms, pair it with some detection system to pump music/radio in when you are in the room. Or just turn them all on at the same time.

If you have a six figure income, IoT World products sound great.

2. nematoad

"Seriously though, talk about a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!"

I completely agree. It's about time someone took these characters into a room and made them write out the Unix mantra one thousand times

"Do one thing and do it well."

Oh and I corrected your typo.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do these other functions work when the lamp is off?

One thing they seem to overlook, people turn lights on and off as needed, and they do so via a light switch that cuts all power to the light concerned.

Does the device have a battery that allows the light's other functions to carry on for a limited (maybe a few days) period? Or do these have to be constantly left on to work?

Not that I'm rushing to buy one. I can't imagine the sound reproduction being great from such a small space, and the Wi-Fi connectivity in this house is just fine: I put an access point (not a router) up high on a shelf in my room upstairs, and it reaches pretty much the whole house. Worst signal is out at the road, even then it works.

A feature that might be useful, is if the internal battery could power the light for about 8 hours, and have the thing being able to be turned on wirelessly. Then in a black-out, you use the remote controls to turn the lights on/off and you still have lights.

That said, we don't have that many power cuts here in Brisbane, so I doubt it'd catch on.

1. King Jack

Re: a light switch that cuts all power to the light...

Dimmer switches do not cut the power to the light bulb. It just lowers the power to a point that the light cannot shine. The light bulb is always 'on'. But having tinny tiny mono speakers in a bulb does not interest me at all. I've got two ears and quite like bass.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The switches we have installed in this house would cut all power to the bulb completely.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

All domestic dimmer switches cut the power completely.

Professional SCR/Triac dimmers go down to zero but have a small leakage current through the suppression caps, however you would not be putting these lamps on a 3kW rated dimmer.

1. x 7

3kW???

is that a typo or is that for real? Surely it would turn the dimmer switch into a bar fire?

3. Oninoshiko

Well I have good news for you! If you take a bunch of mono channels and put them together you get surround. then you just need the LFE channel.

Doesn't make it any less daft of an idea though (just like all the IoT garbage).

4. Patrick R
        Pint

How do you dim power to a LED lamp but still leave enough for the speaker that "provides 13 watts"?

3. stucs201
    Facepalm

If they're going to make light fittings too...

...then put the extra functionality in the fitting, and carry on using a bulb that just does light and is cheap to replace when necessary.

4. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

The one problem...

...we can see with this bulb is that you may not have a lightsocket pointing in the right direction for what you want to achieve.

This would seem to be a problem with all their products as light fixtures and lamps aren't currently designed with these features in mind. I would not imagine these will have much take-up in private homes, but there could be interest in the commercial sector as they could offer relatively low cost drop-in upgrades to amenities. Too, hotels and convention centers are not concerned with the security of their networks. I didn't see any mention as to any sort of built-in security these will support (the bit about the missing APIs, at least in part), which makes them on par with the rest of the IoT. Who knows? Perhaps Sengled will become an innovator in IoT security and capture a big share of the market by doing so, but judging from their solution in search of a problem approach, I suspect not.

1. Andrew Jones 2

Re: The one problem...

Had a look at the user manual on their website for the Bluetooth speaker as an example. No mention of being able to protect the device from other people pairing to it, no pairing pin at all in fact.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The one problem...

"Had a look at the user manual on their website for the Bluetooth speaker as an example. No mention of being able to protect the device from other people pairing to it, no pairing pin at all in fact."

Usually, Bluetooth speakers have to be intentionally put into pairing mode by way of a push-button control (like how WPS PBC works). When you turn it on normally, it usually goes back through its pair list starting with the most recent pairing.

5. Mark 85

Longevity?

I'm curious as to what's the longevity of these bulbs? I've embraced the LED lights as soon as they appeared but it seems rather hit and miss even from the same maker. I've got some that are chugging right a long but I've also had failures. Would there be a warranty for any of the "features" failing before "x" time?

I do agree the other commenters, it would seem the features are better suited to the fixture than the to bulb.

BTW, so far what I've seen come out in media from this "meeting of the minds" has been fluff... Nothing that I would call a "must have" product.

6. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

And unless the security is up to scratch...

"A smart thermostat knows when you are out". "Smartlocks mean you can let people into your house without having to physically open the door"

And they will also let n'er do wells know when you're out and mean that they can let themselves into your house without the keys...

1. Ben Tasker

Re: And unless the security is up to scratch...

And all so you don't have to get off your arse to let them in - I don't get the problem with going and opening the door personally....

1. Graham Marsden

Re: And unless the security is up to scratch...

> I don't get the problem with going and opening the door personally....

What? And make people miss fifteen seconds of Brittains got the X Factor Coming Strictly Through a Hole in the Wall on Ice?

7. PhilipJ
    FAIL

No they won't.

..just like nobody uses internet connected fridge and other similar ridiculous products

8. petur

DX

Did they browse DX.com for ideas?

9. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Muzak muzak everywhere

nor any sound to think...

10. BongoJoe
    Big Brother

"Winston Smith. Please stand where I can see you."

11. BongoJoe
    Mushroom

Rattle and Hum

So, if I shove on some Deep Purple at a proper volume then what on earth is going to happen to the light bulb when the late lamented Jon Lord rips into Space Trucking?

12. Mage Silver badge
    Facepalm

The big problems for IoT products are three-fold:

No five fold:

1) Security and Privacy

2) Greedy companies with a subscription model

3 to 5: Your points

13. jake Silver badge

Uh ...

Am I the only one who remembers programming early home computer "speaker" circuitry to turn them into microphones?

Do you really want a microphone everywhere you have a light?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Uh ...

I'm sure the spooks think it's a bright idea.

14. David Roberts
    FAIL

Essence of fail

Hey, IOT looks a good market.

Lightbulbs are everywhere and easy to fit. Go, product team!

There you go. Does exactly what you asked for. Lots of way cool technology!

They are a bit big.....can't you make them a little smaller?

Smaller??? Show me where it says that in the requirements!!!

Oh, shit, all that research and development and it's fugly. Nobody will buy this stuff. We can't afford to redo all the development, and think of the time it would take!

Hey, it just needs bigger light fittings.

They can't be that difficult to make.

Problem solved!

Which is how a wireless technology manufacturer suddenly finds itself in the business of manufacturing over size light fittings with no prior experience and no market research or business case.

1. BongoJoe

Re: Essence of fail

David. Did you ever work for Alcatel? That's the sort of thinking that was behind all of their home products.

15. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Smartlocks, microphones, wi-fi, cameras? Sounds great - as long (a) you're a complete gadget freak and (b) the manufacturer isn't sponsored by GCHQ ...

16. VinceH

"The big problems for IoT products are three-fold:

• They have to be easy to use and easy to install
    • They have to constantly communicate without using much power
    • You have to be able to control them simply and easily
    "

Firstly, the third item on that list is duplicated in the first as "easy to use".

Secondly, the list somehow misses some points that I would consider more important when it comes to iOUT* products:

• Security must be paramount.
    • Customers privacy must be absolutely assured.
    • Continuation of support and service provision must be guaranteed.

* Internet of Unwanted / Unnecessary / Untrusted / Unsupported [delete as appropriate] Things.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems good to me. My question is, will you have to spend out that much every time a bulb goes?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is all very well installing all these 'features' into the light bulbs but the BIG question is, when will they actually make a reasonably priced LED bulb that has the same spectral output and number of lumens as the old incandescent bulbs, and while they are at it the same all over coverage.

Until they have that cracked all these 'features' are just a coverup for poor light output.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

They can't

LED is a narrow band emitter.

"White" LEDs use a Blue LED to pump a yellow phosphor.

Thus, no Red and very little Green - and so pigments look strange, especially ones involving red, like skin for example.

They are a couple of UV-pumped ones that are excellent, but £££££

There have been experimental RGB, RLB and RLW mixes, but I've not seen them on the market yet.

19. Trigonoceps occipitalis

"you can let people into your house without having to physically open the door"

Been watching "Men Who Stare at Goats" have we?

20. crayon

"Does the device have a battery that allows the light's other functions to carry on for a limited (maybe a few days) period? Or do these have to be constantly left on to work?"

Light light bulbs incorporating a battery has been available for years. Fully charged it lasts for about 5-8hrs. In a power cut or other emergency you can remove it from the fitting and use it as a torch (you can extend the screw thread part to use as a handle). Some models come with an IR remote control complete with dimming functions.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd have thought with the move towards 3D sound systems / atmos etc the idea of an easy to install central high speaker would be quite useful for home cinema. Sure it's not going to be bass heavy but it should be possible to make a reasonable mid-high range speaker in the space up there for those rain sounds? It's not like most of us have the space for an IMAX setup.

22. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Madness

I'm reminded of a SciFi story where the 'poor' people were the ones who lived in huge mansions with loads of gadgets, and had to fill a regular usage quota before they were allotted a smaller house and fewer gadgets. This was because manufacture far exceeded demand and was automated to the point that it was impossible to reduce the output.

The hero of the story was a guy who's job was to design machines with as many parts as possible for the simplest operation. My only question is:

"Are we there yet?"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Madness

SciFi? Or did someone misread it as a training manual?

Hopefully when this IoT nonsense blows over, we can look at it as a documentary of how we went wrong.

23. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Network extender

I think the network extender would be useful. Since the light is positioned to light the room, it should have a cleaner line of site to whatever it's repeating than having a repeater up on a shelf or whatever. I would, however, need some way to actually turn the light on and off without resorting to an app.

24. Fihart

Big Bro's bright idea.

"Lightbulbs of the future will come with wireless extenders and speakers".

And, in time, cameras built in.

25. Ru'

I enjoy reading verbatum press releases as much as the next guy, but I would prefer it if the Reg had put some effort in, perhaps regarding security issues etc.

26. Radly

Great! Speakers at random locations on the ceiling. I know most of you don't have an acoustic background, but in most situations that is a terrible place for a speaker, especially a small poor quality speaker, unless it just used for alarms and announcements.

A lot of people have noted that this won't be of much help if the power is out.

I can think of uses for this kind of appliance if the light was controlled remotely, and the power was always on. I just don't think there will be much of a market, at least not until many houses have central control systems.

27. Martin 63

Job for life

How many programmers will it now take to change a light bulb?

1. Ru'

Re: Job for life

Please provide a full definition of "change" and "light bulb" and "programmer" etc....

28. x 7

Camera in a lightbulb = end of privacy as we know it

Imagine....every hotel bedroom would have a camera-bulb for security

Every home would have a camera-bulb in the kids bedroom "for security". Bulbs in the visitors room, in the daughters bedroom, in the bathroom........

Businesses would put them in the offices, staffrooms, toilets... "for security"

Once the technology becomes available it will be used, misused and abused

1. Charles 9

Don't be so sure. Soon as something like this happens, someone will create the one-step camera patch to cover them up.

29. Michael Habel

Can these be eventually paired up to form a 5.1 / 7.1 Surround System? If not WHY THE HELL NOT?!

1. D@v3

i like your thinking

Because not many rooms have 5.1 light fittings....

Seriously though, if you had some desk lamps scattered around, it could work, or if you have a 'conventional' 5.1 set up, and you could add a couple of ceiling lamps to make it 7.1.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't want smart bulbs.

I just want to buy ordinary 60W incandescent light bulbs that cost a few pence, last for years and are compatible with all my existing fittings.

But due to the upcoming power shortages (caused entirely by governments wasting public money on renewable energy schemes while failing to invest in updating our nuclear power stations), I can only get low-energy bulbs that cost 5 quid each, only last a few months, and don't work with my dimmer switches.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The big problems for IoT products are three-fold:

They have to be easy to use and easy to install

They have to constantly communicate without using much power

You have to be able to control them simply and easily"

Erm, they're four-fold - it would seem that very few people, if any, actually want to use IoT products.

As for AC above, I'm surprised if you;re having that much problem with energy-saving light-bulbs, I've been using them for years, and all of them bar one has lasted for years - certainly way longer than old incandescent bulbs, and given the lowe ramount of electricity used, they've easily paid for themselves.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"But due to the upcoming power shortages (caused entirely by governments wasting public money on renewable energy schemes while failing to invest in updating our nuclear power stations), I can only get low-energy bulbs that cost 5 quid each, only last a few months, and don't work with my dimmer switches."

Perhaps you should find a new place to buy your bulbs if they're conking out that quickly. The ones I've had since I've gone CFL have lasted several years at least (compared to months with the old bulbs, enough to make it worth switching out from incandescents, especially in the stairwell where the only way to change it is with a scaffold), and they make dimmer-compatible bulbs now.

31. Steve 13

The wifi extender would be the most useful except for the fact that it needs power, and most people turn their lights off when they aren't in the room.

Of course you could also replace the power switch with one that communicates wirelessly with the device and doesn't really turn the power off... But now you can't safely change the bulb... So a replacement switch that does a 'soft' and a 'hard' off, just don't get them confused and touch the pins whilst replacing the £150 bulb when it's blown...

Bluetooth as an audio option is a terrible solution in a house IMO, not to mention the power problem again and the limited size that means quality will be poor.

What was the last one, IP camera, meh... Maybe, if that's on wifi and not bluetooth, although personally I like my cameras to point out of the house, not into it. Presumably this function will mostly be used by pervs to spy on guests in the spare room.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like