back to article Sprint and Verizon to pay $158 MILLION over bogus 'cramming' fees

US mobile operators Sprint and Verizon will pay out a combined $158m after the Feds ruled that they allowed advertisers to tack unwanted premium charges onto customers' bills. According to the FCC, the carriers looked the other way when dodgy companies signed customers up for services without warning them that would be billed …

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Good

Having worked for them and AT&T, I cannot think of any industry more deserving of punishment.

OK, maybe insurance companies.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: Good

Politicians?

2. asdf

actually

>Verizon's $90m fine will hardly make a dent in its pocketbook

Except being in the news cycle for a being a dishonest b*stard (some people actually need reminding) will cause a bigger goodwill hit than that. Their saving grace may be all their competitors were doing it as well. Never ceases to amaze me to see just how little Baby Boomer leadership (for example Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam, born May 28, 1954) even pretends to care about business ethics. The Worst Generation for sure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: actually

Except being in the news cycle for a being a dishonest b*stard (some people actually need reminding) will cause a bigger goodwill hit than that. Their saving grace may be all their competitors were doing it as well.

That's why being in the news won't matter. If it was ONE company people who rightfully took offence could change, but if they're all doing it it matters not one iota, and the fines do not strike me as provoking an attitude correction in the boardroom. It appears they took a leaf out of the "how to screw over customers" book used by Wall Street banks.

1. ratfox

Re: actually

It does matter if the same companies are bitterly fighting the new net neutrality guidelines. Sometimes, there is a price to be paid for being the least liked industry in the country.

3. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

@ ASDF

I share the sentiment of your comment, but would add that the CEO's of these giant telco's probabaly aren't even aware that their marketing and operations departments are running these types of "service" (read : scams).

I'd also posit that it is most likely that the pushing of these services is done complicitly on the back of a risk based business case which goes something like this:

Predicted earnings running scam = $200m

Risk assessment against being fined = - £100m

Scam profit / Ker'chiiing-ment = $100m

Good eh? The new business is all about the money. Fuck the ethics.

The telco cartel long ago realised that customers have a short memory. And when customers have a limited choice in other suppliers, and, when all of those alternatives (i.e. your cartel partners) are running the same scam - the risk of reputational damage means nothing

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: @ ASDF

They were fined $65M including $50M refunds = a $15M fine.

So the real risk is just paying interest on the money you stole if you ever get caught.

Interesting to know how many times bigger than this was the profit they made from the scheme.

4. Tom 13

Consumers rightfully expect their monthly phone bills will reflect only those services that they've purchased,

If that were really true the FCC would do a thorough audit of the billing practices at these companies. Granted I haven't worked there for at least 5 years now, but one of my former employers with only 300 employees was so frequently overcharged on their phone bills that it was cost effective for them to hire a full time employee to review the monthly bills and challenge improper charges.

5. sjsmoto

Great, can't wait for my refund check for $1 after the lawyers get their full share.

1. tacitust

That's for class action lawsuits. I doubt the government lawyers who worked on this case are being paid a percentage of the settlement.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like