back to article Thank heavens for the silicon chip: A BRIEF history of data

Data was born around 20,000 years ago, around the time the last ice age was at its peak and Cro-Magnon man was appearing in Europe. Data was made both by those early humans' minds and these humans’ ability to store facts outside their brains. Why the human mind? It is because data doesn’t exist outside the context of the mind …

1. chris swain

True dat

I've long been of the mindset that all computing is just operations on data, whether it's stored in a database or stored in memory (indeed, in-memory databases are bringing us full circle)

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: True dat

I think Turing might have beaten you to that realisation by about eight decades :-)

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: True dat

Computing can be reduced to a number of formalisms. Saying "it's all about data" is no more insightful than saying "it's all arithmetic" or "it's all function construction and application" or "it's all compression" or "it's all moving heat around".

In fact, from that set, there are probably more interesting insights to be derived from, say, "it's all compression" than from "it's all data". In particular the rather dubious analogy between tally sticks and writing on the one hand, and structured and unstructured data on the other, that Whitehorn draws, while a decent bit of parlor discourse, seems rather too shallow to illuminate anything significant.

And of course the history of forms of data-keeping was hilariously abbreviated, when not outright wrong, but what can you expect from this sort of article?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Thought for the day:

"They tended to write programs that mixed up the data, the application code and the UI all together."

Well, why not, aren't they all just data? ;-)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Split tally sticks were from a time of honest banking

Before the moneychangers took over...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDtBSiI13fE

4. dogged
    Holmes

And, gloriously ironically given the name, we are seeing some NoSQL systems appearing that now have SQL interfaces

Some Not-Only-SQL systems allow SQL access? Well, there's a thing.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sorry

I can't read this with the spelling errors.

"This makes Afrida not just the birthplace of data, but arguably the cradel of mathematics and also the database."

1. AceRimmer

Re: sorry

You are obviously of low intelligence then, my brain corrects the spelling mistakes and allows me to read it with ease

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

So the monkey riot at the start of "2001" was caused by?

"Downloading update 1of 19. Please do not turn off computer."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So the monkey riot at the start of "2001" was caused by?

Try it on a machine today with a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1.

I think the laptop I re-loaded (thank-you CryptoWall!!!) yesterday downloaded close to 1GB of updates and took all day to complete with numerous reboots.

7. Jim 59

Good Grief

is my only comment on this story.

8. ganymede io device

"Try to think of a computer application that doesn’t manipulate data. It is a crucial test because it is impossible."

Muhammad Ali said "Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”

The nul device driver.

The Windows System Idle Process.

1. asdf

Those example do manipulate data as if you look at them at the assembler level as those instructions do contain data (location for jumps if nothing else). I guess it depends on your definition of both computer application and data.

1. Cynic_999

"

Those example do manipulate data as if you look at them at the assembler level as those instructions do contain data (location for jumps if nothing else). I guess it depends on your definition of both computer application and data.

"

They may *contain* data, but do they *manipulate* data?

1. asdf

Yeah again a definitional thing. I would say it does handle or manage (see definition below) but already this conversation bores me and I take your point and ask for quarter.

Manipulate: to handle, manage, or use, especially with skill, in some process of treatment or performance:

2. John Savard

Actually, the real riposte is that there are some computer applications that don't manipulate very much data, and computing rather than data manipulation is the most important thing that they're doing.

The earliest computers - excluding Colossus from consideration - were thought of basically as programmable scientific calculators, and that's how they were used. Some programs would take long lists of numbers as input (and thus they clearly did deal in data to a significant extent) - and others wouldn't.

But in business applications, data was relevant before there were computers - companies kept boxes of punched cards for transactions and for customers. And dealing with data was painful before random-access storage (the disk drive) came along... and once it became available, then it made sense to start thinking of how to make better use of its capabilities. And then various early types of database (hierarchical, Codasyl) came along before the relational database was invented.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Instructions are data. They're data that the processing units use to decide what actions to take.

By definition, computation involves manipulating data. As soon as you have a switch, you have data.

9. QuiteEvilGraham

Oh, for heavens sake...

So the scheduler queue isn't data?

10. Tromos
    Facepalm

Whatever next?

Data processors process data.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love sand so much

Silicon has given me in one way or another just about everything good in my life including my living directly (work at a fab) and most of the power in my house (solar on roof). Wonderful stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: I love sand so much

That's cool, just as long as nothing unnatural is going on!

1. asdf

Boobie reference? Have to admit imho that is one place silicon sucks.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Guess what? I'm sitting at home watching a documentary called "Sand Wars", which argues the world is running out of sand. All the construction using concrete and asphalt is the big reason. Apparently desert sands is too eroded to be used for this.

SAND?! We're running out of SAND?! I think we're screwed.

2. ADC
          Headmaster

That's silicone, not silicon ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>Silicones are polymers that include any inert, synthetic compound made up of repeating units of siloxane, which is a functional group of two silicon atoms and one oxygen atom frequently combined with carbon and/ or hydrogen.

Wikipedia is often full of shit (religion, politics, etc) but it tends to get basic chemistry right. There is a reason the word silicon can be found in silicone.

12. Primus Secundus Tertius

Perhaps interesting

Maybe this was an interesting article, but I am not prepared to wade through four pages.

PLEASE bring back the "print as one page" button.

1. e^iπ+1=0

Re: Perhaps interesting

Print as one page? Try the mobile site.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

A Bit More History

Two things that should be added.

1) The first true Big Data system I can think of predated computers. The Dewey Decimal System (and similar schemata) analyzed books to classify their content in ways that would allow similar books to be grouped together on shelves. Not much, but still the first attempt at systematic, ideally repeatable, Big Data analysis.

2) ADP and EDP were two significant steps. Automated Data Processing, beginning with Hollerith's census machines, created the first machine readable and machine manipulable databases on punched cards. The databases were tabular and unidirectional - while you could use collators and sorters to select and order the stack, the final accounting machine run went sequentially. Electronic Data Processing (i.e. what we now think of as computers) allowed databases to be accessed in any order. EDP also allowed the creation of databases accessible via indices which was key to developing relational databases.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: A Bit More History

As always, there are long chains of ideas and innovations in this domain that lead to the present. Joanne Yates' highly readable study of business communications, Control through Communication, describes the major innovations in business DP in the US during the nineteenth century, for example. The transitions from pigeonhole desks to chapbooks to flat filing to vertical filing were hugely important, as were those from manual copying to spirit duplicators to carbon paper to xerography; and those from quills to fountain pens to typewriters. (And, of course, none of these transitions were abrupt; we still have spirit duplicators and mechanical pens, etc.)

Foucault's The Order of Things, though controversial, documents many of the epistemic changes in Early Modern and Modern Europe regarding the nature, manipulation, and organization of information. There are numerous competing views, of course.

If memory serves, the first episode of James Burke's Connections (and first chapter of the follow-on book) concerns the invention of the modern digital computer, hitting such now-well-known highlights as Jacquard's loom and player pianos. While it doesn't have the depth expected of an academic treatment, it's good fun and enlightening if you aren't familiar with all the bits he discusses.

And so on. I have shelves' worth of books that touch on the subject, and it's not one of my research areas. Well-trodden ground.

14. Garry Bettle

Normal cone vs Silicone

http://tinyurl.com/kpsy4n9

15. Alister

I'm surprised you don't mention spreadsheets in the article. If anything helped to push the use of computers in day-to-day business, it was the introduction of Visi-Calc and its later imitators.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Yes. Visi-Calc was the original "killer app" which got PCs (mainly the Apple ][) into small business.

For importance in legitimating PC use in business, its only real competitor is probably the IBM PC, which drove PC adoption by larger businesses thanks mostly to the IBM name, and secondly to its ability to replace 3270 terminals on management desks with a more-functional device (because it could both be a 3270 and run spreadsheet and word-processing applications).

It's not clear that many people actually used PCs as 3270s (until much later when TCP/IP stacks and TN3270 clients became common), particularly since third-party hardware was required until the 3270PC came out, but it was one of the marketing points IBM emphasized when selling them to large businesses. It made the IBM PC seem "serious": you could use it to run your mainframe-based management apps.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. Jonathan Richards 1
    Joke

Codd's Wallop

> This makes Africa not just the birthplace of data, but arguably the cradle of mathematics and also the database

Did those two bones have an outer join, then?

1. Swarthy
      Thumb Up

Re: Codd's Wallop

It was an inner join - the two bones were a tibula and fibula. If one had been a femur, it would have been an outer join. If they had used a pelvis or skull fragment, it would have been a flat-file database.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like