back to article Puny humans flub ANOTHER Google cloud patch

No-one says running a globe-spanning cloud is easy, but Google's just borked its own cloud for the fourth and fifth time in a few weeks. This time the problem was with Google Compute Engine instances in us-central1, which experienced elevated packet loss last Friday. The problem wasn't a shocker – it lasted 14 minutes – but …

1. ratfox
    WTF?

do cloud users really want or need to know about every operational hiccup?

Is that a serious question? If something is not working, it is probably a godsend to users to know it's not on their end that the problem resides. And if they didn't notice anything, where's the harm with more information?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm with Google on this one.

Technical types like to know this kind of stuff and an incident of this size and scope doesn't speak badly on Google's technical competence (some of the earlier incidents are a different story, but those were well covered then).

My big worry for Google in this space is that they don't seem to be picking up the commercial traction they want in cloud and my big worry for the people who are using them is that when other products have failed to take off Google have abruptly canned them.

Today's story isn't a bid deal in that respect though. I'd expect this to be a regular occurrence for providers of this scale and it's why redundancy planning is key for critical apps.

3. pblakez

Def need to know every operational hiccup

this is important info to have can't count the time I have been chasing an error the sort of is it my code or the service can be pretty obscure, in fact I would like to be able to incorporate google and other cloud services into my own monitoring system.

I am now of the view that every critical service should have a backup on a separate cloud provider, we even have a fall over for our database (couchDB) hosted at our office slow but just incase, also messaging service.

Also we only use open source services that we can host else where, makes testing simpler also.

cheers pb...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like