back to article GitHub jammed by injected JavaScript, servers whacked by DDoS

GitHub's servers are being hammered by web traffic from an army of unwitting cyber-foot-soldiers. It appears when thousands of people visit websites that serve ads and tracking code from Baidu – China's answer to Google – from outside the Middle Kingdom, network gateways on the Chinese border silently inject a JavaScript …

1. Buzzword

> "the San Francisco-based startup said"

GitHub has been going since 2008 - the "startup" label no longer applies.

1. asdf

2008?

Are you kidding I worked for a "startup" that was 15 years old. The term is a state of mind especially if the company is inept and never really makes it out of that toddler stage.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 2008?

"The term is a state of mind..." The term isn't a state of mind, unless that state of mind is really confused or doesn't understand English well. Startup describes the origin of starting, not sure how "startup" became a synonym for "new". For example, "A startup company based out of XYZ,..." and "A new company based out of XYZ,..." are now considered exactly the same, but won take English much bad.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Startup describes the origin of starting"

By that definition all companies are startups, which is meaningless.

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
            FAIL

Only a bunch of morons (or Chinese agents) would hijack a thread to hold as inane debate as you guys when the thread should be about something as important as the Chinese government weaponizing expats web browsers.

2. Chris 3

> not sure how "startup" became a synonym for "new"

They aren't synonyms - as can be seen from the way that the article applies startup to a 2008 company.

Hence startup is a state of mind. You're the one confusing yourself.

2. Notas Badoff
    Pint

Government transparency!

Ain't it great?

3. Oninoshiko
    Trollface

Solution.

It may take parts of Github down for a bit, but change the DNS entry to point back at Baidu...

1. VeganVegan

Re: Solution.

Perhaps not at Baidu, but at whichever device is injecting the js. Set up a positive feedback to ouroboros the bad guys.

4. Michael H
    Facepalm

Semi-obfuscated?

Anyone who knows owt about JS could pretty easily tell what that code is - unless your idea of semi-obfuscated is 'contains no comments', in which case the majority of code in circulation is probably semi-obfuscated.

(For the record, it randomly picks a target to send AJAX requests to based on the current time and continues to hammer the pages for 30 seconds.)

5. englishr

@ Michael H

"The injected script looks like this, once unscrambled:"

I suspect you overlooked the "once unscrambled:"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

/me waits for the first person to talk about how they could have coded it more efficiently.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Alien

I came for the UFOs but stayed for the anal probing

One wonders what other miracles of injection are being silently performed by network devices, gateways or otherwise, seeing HTTP traffic going hither and forth.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Re: I came for the UFOs but stayed for the anal probing

> One wonders what other miracles of injection are being silently performed by network devices, gateways or otherwise, seeing HTTP traffic going hither and forth.

I'm still wondering what sort of an orphanage allowed Cyril Smith to wonder around with his cock up a little boy's bum until he bumped into an unnamed senior police officer coming the other way with his cock up another little boy's arse and nobody in that 5 eyes thing or Ropey Murdoch's stable of rags caught on.

I can't believe that all the money spent by GCHQ/NSA etetera etcetera is just there to help hide petty peckerdildoes. But what else could it be designed for?

1. LucreLout

Re: I came for the UFOs but stayed for the anal probing

Yes... Quite how everyone at the BBC seems to have known about Saville, yet nobody actually did anything about it for decades.... And yet there seems not to be a proper police investigation or public enquiry into the BBC and who knew what and when. Makes it very difficult to believe it's not an on-going problem.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can GitHub take China to court in the WTO?

Seems a fairly basic "illegal" action for a state actor.

Anyone know if GitHub can take China to court in the WTO or similar for this?

1. Mark 85

Re: Can GitHub take China to court in the WTO?

If that's the case, can any site take any of the 5-eyes to court? Seems to me it would be easier (maybe not) to block "outside China" users form hitting Baidu. Which is perhaps, what the Chinese government would like to see?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Baidu is one of the default webpages on the Chinese language version of Windows, so is installed and used by millions of Chinese ethnic people around the world.

My wife has been trying to force her copy to use Google.co.uk, so she can make local searches, but it keeps going back to .cn alternatives.

To this day I am unsure if the cheap - "Chinese only" versions of WinXP, Vista and Win7, are a genuine Microsoft product or a Chinese government project to help control of their own population (I bought SWMBO WinXP and Win7 disks for £1 each in 2010)

Likewise, the locals are told to use the 360 browser because it is safer - it is a malware loaded POS - basically a clone of IE with Chinese government spyware included.

1. Hans 1
          Facepalm

>To this day I am unsure if the cheap - "Chinese only" versions of WinXP, Vista and Win7, are a genuine Microsoft product or a Chinese government project to help control of their own population (I bought SWMBO WinXP and Win7 disks for £1 each in 2010)

If you trust that software then you get all you deserve ... £1 each smells fishy, so it might not even be a "pure" official Chinese version - the official Chinese version most certainly has a rootkit installed. What you got could potentially contain an additional rootkit or two ... My advice: buy a bargepole to throw them into the the bin !

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Only countries can initiate action at the WTO. In general states have immunity from court actions.

9. Florida1920
    FAIL

Losing face

Assuming it's a Chinese govt op, someone needs to tell them it makes them look like a bunch of sorry-arsed limp dicks. If your regime is so good, why do you have to censor what your citizens read? If it's not that good, then FFS invest the resources to fix it. This exploit has all the appearance of a child's tantrum, not the work of a once-proud nation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Losing face

This is how governments are working, democracy or not. Do you really consider your government an open one who works for the well being of all its citizens ?

1. M Gale

Nope.

Is that an excuse though?

2. Marshalltown

"Do you really consider your government an open one who works for the well being of all its citizens ?"

Not hardly. However, ours apparently suffers less from feelings of insecurity or at the very least, hides them better.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please, don't post any code

The horribly inept Australian Government might get ideas.

#dataretention

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This won't go well...

...if it becomes a tit-for-tat war of escalatory retaliation.

1. Michael Thibault

Re: This <strike>well(/strike)wall won't go ...

>escalatory retaliation

At least until someone gets the bright idea of a pre-emptive strike--at which point things could get shouty-pouty with lots of finger-pointing and toys being thrown around the big rooms.

When is D. Bowie going to do a Chinese version of "Heroes"?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Such actions deserve a slap

I wonder, how much traffic will that chinese device be able to handle if the rest of the world takes action.

1. Hans 1

Re: Such actions deserve a slap

Exactly, Google, help us out, here, please ...

13. Rick Giles
    Linux

No Script

TH\his is another reason to use no script. And maybe uninstall Java...

1. captain veg Silver badge

Re: No Script

> TH\his is another reason to use no script.

Not everyone is good at improvisation.

-A.

2. Daniel B.

Wrong Language!

Uninstalling Java won't do anything. The stuff they're using is JavaSCRIPT, which can only be dealt with by either NoScript or by disabling JavaScript on your browser. But the latter would break all tyhose Web2.0/HTML5 bloatware eye candy so the only real solution is NoScript on dodgy websites.

14. Rick Giles
    Pirate

What are they going to do?

When the Freedom Box lands?

15. Rick Giles
    Alert

Can I?

Charge China for my bandwidth usage since Comcrap has me under a cap?

That is, providing that I've been hit?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Law of unintended consequences...

This Chinese action is only going to promote these Github projects, and sow distrust of China.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will browsers finally ban cross-site JS?

I can see CORS becoming mandatory for JS this year... Chrome and Firefox start it; site owners jump to keep their analytics working; IE9-and-under users have to upgrade. That would break half the internet, but if this kind of attack becomes rampant it'll break the whole thing.

18. ilmari

Do websites that use baidu as ad provider share any responsibility for this?

19. busycoder99
    Black Helicopters

An HTTPS connection would have prevented this

More reason to encrypt everything end to end, and reduce the guys inbetween to dumb pipes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like